• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What'd you switch to?

If I wrote down the history of how my bag evolved this post would like War and Peace.

Started Innova everything. Went Innova drivers, DC mids and Gateway putters for awhile. Eventually became a super mixed bag of Innova, MVP, Latitude, Vibram, and Discmania.

I started off straight innova--aviar, roc, *insert highspeed driver here* then as I learned more I incorporated fairways and have tried just about every company under the sun but as you can see I ended up back with a mostly innova bag. Not on purpose, I don't feel any brand loyalty, but for their relative uses these discs are best for my throwing style. I think that's the important thing, finding what fits YOUR throwing style, who cares what company makes it?

I started off straight innova--aviar, roc, *insert highspeed driver here* then as I learned more I incorporated fairways and have tried just about every company under the sun but as you can see I ended up back with a mostly innova bag. Not on purpose, I don't feel any brand loyalty, but for their relative uses these discs are best for my throwing style. I think that's the important thing, finding what fits YOUR throwing style, who cares what company makes it?

EXACTLY where I'm trying to go with this. I have only thrown innova and dc, and wanna branch out and check out what I've been missing. I owe innova nothing, I'm not sponsored so why limit my bag if theres discs out there that may better suit me?

Anyways, I think people are misunderstanding. I don't want to know what brand you throw, I want to know what replaced what. For instance, "I threw teebirds until I tried a rival" or "I threw eagles but now prefer the escape." More disc specific rather than brand.

In that case:

The Tangent replaced the Comet. Way more wind resistant (important in flat Louisiana), easier to range, and less finicky than the Comet, but still an easy neutral thrower that can hit all the same lines as the Comet. Probably doesn't go as far as easily as the Comet, but I'm not really looking for that in a mid.

The VP sort of replaced my Pain. Much slower than the Pain, obviously, but I was primarily using the Pain for approaches, and the VP was that much more predictable at slower speeds. In time the VPs also replaced my Voodoos for putting, for all the reasons I mentioned earlier: I love how Medium and Soft X-link handles the chains.

Underworlds replaced Rivers as my turnover driver. I just couldn't get the River to turn over as easily and consistently as I wanted - it would always fade back. The Underworld turns reliably on a flat throw. Awesome, awesome disc that was just want I was looking for in an understable fairway driver. Clicking with it was a lesson in sticking with a search for the right disc.

Started with Innova, it's still mostly Innova. I've mixed in 3 Discmania, 1 Lat 64, 1 Millenium and 1 Gateway.

I've thrown the CMD2 and SPD for a while, just added in the CPD2 and I'm liking it so far. I've thrown the Quasar for a while now as well, used to have an SOLF in the bag but I've moved on because the good ones are to hard to find. My one Lat 64 is a GL Fuse.

I putt with a Voodoo, I've never been super fond of beads on discs. I can do microbeads they don't bother me.

I use to cycle dx teebirds when I first started, but then I eventually switched to escapes because they went a ton further with less effort. But I missed the stability of the teebird, but I really liked the ability to shape lines with the escape. But then I tried the Legacy fairways. The Patriot was perfect, out of the box it was just dead straight but after a few rounds it throws beautifully, and almost just as far as my escapes even though its a 7 speed, so those kicked out the escapes from the bag. And then I tried their rivals, didn't really like the pinnacle plastic as much, but I tried a silver sparkle rival, and I fell in love, those things fly dead straight with some fade at the end, they are pretty much teebirds, but I have yet to find a domey rival, they are all flat. They might not fight the wind as well as a fresh teebird, but that's what I have my PD in the bag for. I just haven't found the need to go pack to teebirds now that I have my legacy fairways, they are money.

EXACTLY where I'm trying to go with this. I have only thrown innova and dc, and wanna branch out and check out what I've been missing. I owe innova nothing, I'm not sponsored so why limit my bag if theres discs out there that may better suit me?

Anyways, I think people are misunderstanding. I don't want to know what brand you throw, I want to know what replaced what. For instance, "I threw teebirds until I tried a rival" or "I threw eagles but now prefer the escape." More disc specific rather than brand.

Sorry man. I misunderstood as did many others.

I'll post what replaced what tomorrow when I have more time.

I started with innova then switched to gateway for a long time just because there made here in st.Louis and it didn't hurt that they had a store next to jb where you could get discs for 5 bucks but im back to a mostly innova bag with sum beat up wizards and sum wasps in it

I've had a mixed bag from.the start Innova, MVP, Lat, WS, a little bit of everything. Putters are what have changed for me the most though. From Aviars to wizards to ions to summits back to ions now waiting for my Judges from PC. Hope they get here soon would like to get some practice with them before next weekend.

A mix of FD's replaced my teebird/pro leopard combo. For me it's much easier to be consistent with them.

I never really switched. I started with three discs, two Discraft and a Millennium. Within weeks I had added Innova discs to the mix. I've been playing less than a year and in addition to the aforementioned have had Lightning, Prodigy, ABC, MVP, and DGA in the bag at one time or another.

The title of this thread intrigued me and I have read through it and still don't get why someone would purposely buy from only one manufacturer (sponsorships not withstanding), except maybe if they fall in love with a certain plastic. Limited availability in certain regions would be another reason I guess, but I've bought about as many discs online as in a brick and mortar. Can someone explain this to me?

Curtis

I never really switched. I started with three discs, two Discraft and a Millennium. Within weeks I had added Innova discs to the mix. I've been playing less than a year and in addition to the aforementioned have had Lightning, Prodigy, ABC, MVP, and DGA in the bag at one time or another.

The title of this thread intrigued me and I have read through it and still don't get why someone would purposely buy from only one manufacturer (sponsorships not withstanding), except maybe if they fall in love with a certain plastic. Limited availability in certain regions would be another reason I guess, but I've bought about as many discs online as in a brick and mortar. Can someone explain this to me?

Curtis

I throw mostly Innova because I like their discs. When I find a product I like I tend to stick with that company's stuff. I've always owned Honda's because they make a reliable, safe, fuel effecient vehicle. I wear Patagonia clothes because they make quality outdoor gear that comes with a lifetime guarantee. I only wear Brooks shoes because I like the way they fit and they're comfortable. I guess I'm just one of those people.

Curtis

There's various reasons I've heard from people to why they only throw one company (or a company w/ sister companies). The most popular reason I hear is that they want to be sponsored by a particular company so they only throw that companies discseven tough they aren't sponsored yet by that company. If a person wanted to get sponsored by a company it would be advantageous to already have extensive use of that companies discs. I know when players switch to team Prodigy it took them a long time to set up a new bag (I believe they still aren't completely all Prodigy yet for most players).I've even heard Feldberg say that it's taking him quite awhile for him to switch to a Lat 64 & he probably won't be completely set for over a year. Another reason is that people just prefer less options than all the discs available on the market. It can be overwhelming with all the choices available on the market now a days that it could be easier in some peoples opinion to just stick with one company. Also some people jut like to stick with one company for comfort purposes (i.e. just sticking with "ol reliable"). Another reason is some people are just stuck in there ways. If they've been throwing certain molds from a company for many many years they have no reason to switch b/c of the familiarity they feel with the discs (if it ain't broken don't fix it). You made a point that maybe b/c of the area a person lives in maybe it would be harder to get a wide variety of discs from different companies. I agree with that to some extent b/c I know a lot of people (me included) who prefer to feel discs before buying them (as opposed to getting them online). But if we are talking in America the internet offers ever company of disc & is available everywhere. Even if an avid disc golfer didn't have the internet at home that person could access it from a friends house, the library ect. So I feel that location isn't as big of a factor in only be exposed to a few companies of discs as it most likely was in the past. I feel this is especially true with the many new disc shops popping up, people selling discs at courses, smaller companies like MVP expanding ect. Also it could be as simple as certain brands fix peoples style better (i.e. Hipsters liking MVP).

Aaannnnnnd there's the MVP bashing I was waiting for. :p

I didn't mean to bash MVP at all. I was just using an example (although it was stereotypical). I know plenty of people who use MVP discs & I tried them but they're just not for me. I don't hate MVP at all & I actual support small businesses.

I was just giving you crap and being the devil's advocate, mate. Since everybody whines about MVP, whether it's for or against. :) that said, put millennium in my bag now too. Pretty mixed, yup

Latest posts