• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's happening at the Tim Selinske Masters??

and all the other '...quality...' posts here:

How about the "quality" of the player(s)? That's a facet of a championship (along with courses, amenities, etc.) too you know!

I am not sure what you mean here, or the point.

Please point out where he said that the titles were "nothing special" verse just pointing out the fact that there are many titles in general.

It's implied, is it not?

spe·cial
/ˈspeSHəl/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.

If there are many titles any one of them is not ' different from what is usual'

And therefore they are not special.

For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

It has a few things going for it.
First, it rewards better play over time (seems pretty natural),
Second, (hopefully) it penalizes sandbagging.

Thoughts?
I'd be more on board with this if it was done by average rating over the last year, and not just the current rating.

The PDGA generally takes a "first come, first served" stance, treating all members equally and saying they have an equal opportunity to play. Except for the USDGC, which uses a qualifier system.

It seems to me that winning Worlds earns a title, and there's some merit to a system making sure it includes true contenders. (Worlds is both a championship and a convention, and the bulk of players aren't what you'd call contenders).

Tour events (NT, DGPT) should probably be able to make sure people who have made the commitment to be on tour, can play.

Otherwise, for most fast-filling events, you don't win a title; you're just the winner of that event. I'm not sure that's compelling enough to give certain members priority over other members.

For crowded events, especially PDGA Majors, Worlds, etc, I like to see preference given to players with higher ratings.
I know, I know, that this is somewhat difficult to administer and that some events already have ratings-tiered registration.

Thoughts?

I would like to see priority given to PDGA members according to PDGA #'s.

For example sign ups start for week 1 with #1 - #20000. Week 2 - #20001 - 40000 and so on. Way to many newbs are taking spots from people that have supported the sport for many years.

I would like to see priority given to PDGA members according to PDGA #'s.

For example sign ups start for week 1 with #1 - #20000. Week 2 - #20001 - 40000 and so on. Way to many newbs are taking spots from people that have supported the sport for many years.

Maybe for a Masters event this could work (but even then, I don't particularly like it). I see absolutely no reason to give lower numbers priority in any other capacity though. I don't deserve priority for, say, Pro Worlds over someone like Chris Dickerson or Joel Freeman or Austin Hannum (all in the 60000s) just because I joined the PDGA 13+ years before they did.

Maybe for a Masters event this could work (but even then, I don't particularly like it). I see absolutely no reason to give lower numbers priority in any other capacity though. I don't deserve priority for, say, Pro Worlds over someone like Chris Dickerson or Joel Freeman or Austin Hannum (all in the 60000s) just because I joined the PDGA 13+ years before they did.

How about, you've paid a lot more in PDGA fees, over the years?

(No, I wouldn't particular support this either, but that would at least be a reason).

How about, you've paid a lot more in PDGA fees, over the years?

(No, I wouldn't particular support this either, but that would at least be a reason).

Still a bad reason though. Are my fees from 2002 paying in some way for Pro Worlds 2020? I'd like to think that the $40 I paid back then more than covered what I got out of the PDGA in 2002 and doesn't entitle me to anything following that year. I mean, I still had to renew for 2003. The $75 in dues I'll pay in 2020 is equal to the $75 that Dickerson will pay, so we're on even footing by that measure and should be treated the same.

Thoughts?

With Disc Golf Scene it is not difficult to administer at all. IMO Am Worlds is the only place the currently used system could stand some tweaking and that is likely to be less needed once the age-based divisions are separate from MA1 and FA1.

not trying to stir the pot. i'm a masters-aged dg lover, who rarely gets the opportunity to play tourneys. a local tourney (that fills up in minutes) holds 4-5 spots open for the mules that do the course work at that course. as one who doesn't often get the opportunity to help with course work either, I am more than fine with their approach. those folks deserve it.

Let me guess.....no water on the practice rounds?

Jokes aside. Who does not bring water with them to a round? I get the luxury of provided water, but it that really a deal breaker. Entitled pros are ensuring that TD's have little interest in providing space at their events, for them. Both local and touring. It is just not worth the hassle and social media attacks.

Per PDGA tour standards, at this temperature there should have been a water cooler every third hole. This is per the PDGA own standards they provide to TDs. This was a PDGA event ultimately controlled by the PDGA. They didn't even enforce the TD to follow their own recommendations.

I was the TD for 2016 Am Worlds in Madison, WI. The previous year was in Kalamazoo, MI and they had 752 players. With the courses we had, we felt comfortable with 576 players. When the event quickly sold out, some of the people who didn't get in felt the tournament was regressing because there were going to be less people than the year before. Mind you it was still tied for the 5th largest Am Worlds ever. We went with quality over quantity and are glad we did.

Quality it was. I was there. I was also at the Maple Hill Selinske. Stark contrast in professionalism of how it was ran.

Per PDGA tour standards, at this temperature there should have been a water cooler every third hole. This is per the PDGA own standards they provide to TDs. This was a PDGA event ultimately controlled by the PDGA. They didn't even enforce the TD to follow their own recommendations.

I understand how to enforce rules but how does one enforce a recommendation?

I understand how to enforce rules but how does one enforce a recommendation?

This event was controlled by the PDGA. They, the PDGA, says at temps 60-80, there should be a water cooler every third hole.

There are 2 PDGA officials at the event.

After day one, when there is not water, the official says to the TD,

'yo, dude, where's the ****ing water at?'

That's how.

With Disc Golf Scene it is not difficult to administer at all. IMO Am Worlds is the only place the currently used system could stand some tweaking and that is likely to be less needed once the age-based divisions are separate from MA1 and FA1.

Every division had a minimum of 5 open spots in 2019 AM worlds, with the exception of MA70.

Most of the gripes I heard about the 2019 US Masters was AM divisions half the size of pros. Registration opening in Feb 1st for an event in September. And minimal if any announcements made about registration opening.

Latest posts