• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whats par for you?

frizzbee

Do the majority of you guys follow the normal par for the course, that is marked on the basket or on the tee, or do you prefer just going with all par 3's regardless of the hole?

Ive just switched over to doing all par 3's at every course I play, and although its extremely challenging to score under par its still fun. I usually finish somewhere between even and +5 depending on the course.

Is it more common to use all par 3's or use the courses par?

I'll play by the signs because they seem pretty fair on the courses here in Austin. Sometimes I play with people that are anal about scoring everything as par 3 so I'll go along. As long as everyone during the round is using the same par-scale it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Back in the day, all sanctioned tournaments played pro par (everything a 3) and since we were touring, we just played everything a 3. Didn't matter how long or short, how hard or easy, everything was a 3. Since we're also not too bright, it makes keeping score so much easier then walking back to the tee to see what the par was because you forgot to check after driving. :eek:

It really depends on the course. For a shorter/casual course, I count everything as par 3, but a championship calibur course, I will go by the course's par.

I'll play by the signs because they seem pretty fair on the courses here in Austin. Sometimes I play with people that are anal about scoring everything as par 3 so I'll go along. As long as everyone during the round is using the same par-scale it really doesn't matter one way or the other.

Really it doesn't matter what par is, it's who throws the least amount of times.;)

It depends on what I want to compare my score to. If I'm playing a mini with 20 other folks then I'm happy using all par 3's because I'm comparing my total to their total. If I'm playing by myself on my 9 hole home course that has two par 4 holes that are over 500' then I will use the posted par because I'm trying to beat the course and break my personal course record of 5 under posted par. If I play a tournament I will do par 3 for each hole as is standard practice for tournaments but at the end of the day I will also compare my score to posted par so I'll know how I did for that particular course. That's pretty much what most folks I play with do also, including the more experienced open players.

The course I play is pretty tough (Oak Meadow). The last sanctioned tournament had 57 players and out of two rounds each, only one person finished under par (and he had 9 over on the first round). Since I am a beginner, I just make every hole a par 4.

I make everything a par 8 so I feel really really really really bad about my bogies.......because someone once told me that bogies are bad, right?

I always know 2 scores. First, I know what my par score is in relation to the posted par on the course. Second, i know how many total strokes I have taken.

However, if there is no par listed, here is how I do it: 450+ is a par 4, unless it's way downhill. 850+ is a par 5. Granted, i've only played on one course with a hole over 850, but that was surely a par 5.

It depends on what I want to compare my score to. If I'm playing a mini with 20 other folks then I'm happy using all par 3's because I'm comparing my total to their total. If I'm playing by myself on my 9 hole home course that has two par 4 holes that are over 500' then I will use the posted par because I'm trying to beat the course and break my personal course record of 5 under posted par. If I play a tournament I will do par 3 for each hole as is standard practice for tournaments but at the end of the day I will also compare my score to posted par so I'll know how I did for that particular course. That's pretty much what most folks I play with do also, including the more experienced open players.

I like this thought method of scoring. I'm new to the sport and I find it hard to believe that people can make 1000'+ hole in three throws.
There is course near where I go to school that has 1 par 4 that is over 500' but there is also a hole 1006' that I believe is a par 3. That could be because it wide open and downhill most of the way.

I play par as (hole length/average productive drive distance) + 1. Then you can (hopefully) watch your scores go down as your average productive drive distance goes up. Obviously, the average productive drive distance is dependent on the terrain, but it seems to average out over different holes and courses.

I play par as (hole length/average productive drive distance) + 1. Then you can (hopefully) watch your scores go down as your average productive drive distance goes up. Obviously, the average productive drive distance is dependent on the terrain, but it seems to average out over different holes and courses.
So if you're playing a 350' hole and you can drive 350' then it would be a par 2?

You'd have to play pretty well on my home course (Deer Lakes) to get a 54. The course record is a 59 or some such from the pro tees I think. Par is 66.

It really depends on the course. For a shorter/casual course, I count everything as par 3, but a championship calibur course, I will go by the course's par.

Agree with zud00!, it really depends on the course for me.

Latest posts