• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's the new brand for dyeing?

Boss Man

Bogey Member
I tried looking for this in some of the other threads but either couldn't find it or overlooked it entirely. I'm getting back into dyeing with a friend of mine and I was looking to see what dyes you guy have found to work the best since RIT changed their formula. All of my old stocks are of the old RIT which will work fine, but I don't have much left and will need to find an alternative real soon.

Never mind. Found a post not 30 seconds after making this. Sorry guys!

I-dye and Dyemore it is!

Last edited:
Looks like you found it, but a caveat, make sure you grab iDye Poly. Natural fabric dye will not work, must be for polyester blends.

Also, fishing lure dyes like Quick Coat and Spike-It work great and often have much brighter and more intense results.

Cheers, Boss. Welcome back to the addiction. :thmbup:

What kind of stores can I find iDye Poly at? Walmart? Hobby Lobby? Target? Michaels? Online only?

Have never found IDP at Wallyworld. Hobby Lobby carries it, I suspect Michaels would too.

Is iDye Poly just something that's readily available, or is it actually something that's recommended over dyes marketed for plastics? Because iDye Poly is marketed for fabric and whatnot. Is it just a good makeshift, or is it a good dye for discs regardless?

Have never found IDP at Wallyworld. Hobby Lobby carries it, I suspect Michaels would too.

Surprisingly, every Michael's that I've visited didn't carry IDP. Jo-Ann's and Hobby Lobby does. Not sure if there are any other stores that I can think of, except online. Maybe some local Mom and Pop shop. Maybe a thrift store, if you're lucky?

Jo-Ann's has a sale on fabric dyes through 7/13. Just picked up red, blue, and yellow iDye Poly. $3.59/ea. The display had all 8 colors except orange.

I've never dyed a disc before. Do overlapping colors blend predictably? I.e., dye it red, let it dry, then dye it yellow, and get orange?

First victim disc is a well weathered found Star Roadrunner. It's not really white anymore, kind of a dirty grey/brown cloudy speckle. Not sure what kind of prep I have to do, but doubt it'll be able to be brought back to new white. A scrub and a degreasing, I suppose.

Is idye poly preferred over prochem? I'll probably order online anyway, and the prochem seems cheaper according to my math. Will only be getting black this order, all my dyeable plastic is pink or orange.

Sorry for necromancy.

Is idye poly preferred over prochem? I'll probably order online anyway, and the prochem seems cheaper according to my math. Will only be getting black this order, all my dyeable plastic is pink or orange.

Sorry for necromancy.

Not really. iDye is only the go-to because of it's wider availability. I've never tried a pro chem dye I didn't like.

Not really. iDye is only the go-to because of it's wider availability. I've never tried a pro chem dye I didn't like.

Thanx, my other question is if the dye carrier is necessary. Will be doing stencils, want to try brushing and dipping.

The new Rit for polys works, at least black does. Rit Dye More. Found it at Wally's.

Last edited:

Yes. I have Jacquard iDye Poly, Spike It worm dye, Quick Coat worm dye, and Pylam dyes.

iDye is obviously the cheapest and most easily acquired dye, but many colors leave us wanting. The Pylam is incredible, but suuuuuper expensive and difficult to find small quantities (the disc golf store sold 2oz containers but recently took the listing down) My favorite dye so far has been the worm dyes. Not only are they SUPER freaking bright colors, but the UV reactiveness really pops in sunlight.

The Spike It is pretty solid and bright, but the Quick Coat pink and purple are the two most florescent and vivid colors I've ever had! Mind blowing color!

Be cautioned, the worm dyes do contain acetone, so stamp dissolution may be an issue. However, I mixed my worm dyes 1/2 and 1/2 with water and had no problems with stamps, even after an overnight soak. :thmbup:

Yes. I have Jacquard iDye Poly, Spike It worm dye, Quick Coat worm dye, and Pylam dyes.

iDye is obviously the cheapest and most easily acquired dye, but many colors leave us wanting. The Pylam is incredible, but suuuuuper expensive and difficult to find small quantities (the disc golf store sold 2oz containers but recently took the listing down) My favorite dye so far has been the worm dyes. Not only are they SUPER freaking bright colors, but the UV reactiveness really pops in sunlight.

The Spike It is pretty solid and bright, but the Quick Coat pink and purple are the two most florescent and vivid colors I've ever had! Mind blowing color!

Be cautioned, the worm dyes do contain acetone, so stamp dissolution may be an issue. However, I mixed my worm dyes 1/2 and 1/2 with water and had no problems with stamps, even after an overnight soak. :thmbup:

Thanks Reniger, great info about Quick Coat, especially mixing with water to save the stamp. Wish I could find it locally, shipping is almost as much as 2 bottles.

How do the different worm dye colors compare between brands? I use spike-it but would love to get a comparison color to color between brands.

Disregard, thought I found a site with free shipping on quick coat, but I was fooled

Last edited:
Jo-Ann's has a sale on fabric dyes through 7/13. Just picked up red, blue, and yellow iDye Poly. $3.59/ea. The display had all 8 colors except orange.

I've never dyed a disc before. Do overlapping colors blend predictably? I.e., dye it red, let it dry, then dye it yellow, and get orange?

First victim disc is a well weathered found Star Roadrunner. It's not really white anymore, kind of a dirty grey/brown cloudy speckle. Not sure what kind of prep I have to do, but doubt it'll be able to be brought back to new white. A scrub and a degreasing, I suppose.

IDye Poly regular price is $2.99/pack at dharmatrading.com. There's a 10% discount going on right now as well, so $2.72/pack. I think my shipping came out to around $10 for 10 packs delivered.

How do the different worm dye colors compare between brands? I use spike-it but would love to get a comparison color to color between brands.

Spike-It is definitely a brighter result than iDye Poly and Quick Coat is even better. The Quick Coat pink is so bright, it's incredible! I dyed a chartreuse disc pink then did a quick dip in purple and there was NO yellow color left at all. Typically with iDye, unless the disc is clear or white, it's hard for lighter colors like pink to set all that well. The Quick Coat worm dye is just out of this world. I plan on using it for some spins for Octhrowberfest.

PS: For those looking for worm dyes that won't destroy you on shipping - Lurepartsonline.com is the best I've found. Saved me about 50% over Spikeit's homepage. Moreover, they have the most color selection for unscented worm dyes that I've seen and solid prices.

Latest posts