• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's with the smack talk?

Drewford

It seems that a lot of people hate lightning. Why?! I like the discs that I have from them. Is it the plastic? It's not amazing but I wouldn't dub it terrible.

they fell behind the curve many years ago and never kept up with the pace of other manufacturer's (innova, discraft)

It seems that a lot of people hate lightning. Why?! I like the discs that I have from them. Is it the plastic? It's not amazing but I wouldn't dub it terrible.
Lightning has some really nice molds, even if most are on the oldschool design style side of things. The plastic is actually a pretty nice baseline, and their glow is one of the best. Lightning wears differently than other baselines but it kinda hits a wall where it stops wearing in. The design and plastics + price make them really good beginner/learner discs -- I sold a huge amount of used and new Lightning during my pro shop days. If someone is beyond the available speed classes of Lightning, or wears the plastic too quickly, there's essentially nothing for them from Lightning. The Rubber Putter and #2 Upshot are my favorites by Lightning, along with a few other molds whose names I don't know. There was some Lightning in the pile of staff discs we threw around the warehouse at DN and it might be one of the Rollers, I liked that disc a lot.

I always chuckle at the "oh, those discs are too old" attitude about any older designs no matter what manufacturer. People treat lids from discraft and innova the same as lightning's discs.

As if a 90ft upshot today was somehow all that different from 20 years ago.

High speed drivers, okay yeah. But that's a specific need. It doesn't make an Upshot #2 crappy because Lightning doesn't have speed 13 drivers. Premium plastic? I'll admit the options are more limited there when you are talking about older designs. It's sadly true of most companies. Don't like a lid shape? Sure, that's legit. But that's a personal preference. That person wouldn't like a brand new lid shape either.

There are a ton of older disc designs that can still be great for anyone's game today. But you know, they aren't trendy. So don't let any of the cool kids see you with them.

There are a ton of older disc designs that can still be great for anyone's game today. But you know, they aren't trendy. So don't let any of the cool kids see you with them.
For real. I consider "oldschool" mold design to be based off of non-premium plastics. Any beaded or notched driver is gonna have that flavor, as those are primarily anti-wear features. Once premium plastics really stuck you had mold designs like the JLS, without abrasion-resistance features in the mold.

Aviar, Roc, Teebird, Gazelle, Comet, Cyclone... nothing to sneeze at.

you don't thump up a guy who talks out of his rear end, constantly.

but obviously you guys need those "professional" arrows to be any good :rolleyes:

It's like MVP. They are not crap but no one good uses them.

Whoa Mike C anyone? Lol I haven't seen any lightning discs around to throw, but really I can't say I've ever thrown a bad disc. I'd imagine they are just as fine as anything else, but in a sport with a shorter history than some, maybe folks stick with the tried and true.

I've thrown lots of midranges but it seems many of us stick with rocs or buzzes. Maybe we're missing out on lightning!

I'd imagine they are just as fine as anything else, but in a sport with a shorter history than some, maybe folks stick with the tried and true.
Well, there's the tried and true, and there's the tried. Lightning actually has an extensive history in disc golf, but they have come out with one new mold, the MX-1, in the last decade. It is probably the closest thing they have to a distance driver. When there are no new exciting products coming out from your company, and lots of new exciting products coming out from your competition, one can expect it to be shuffled to the back of a disc golfers consciousness pretty quick. Some days I swear the DB-5 basket is all that keeps them in business.

I have a friend who loved his Hellcat (now called the #1 Slice I think) before he lost it. He could bomb that disc and knew it well. I threw a few Lightning discs and had no problem with them, just found a few discs I like more. Just like anything there are always elitist type folks who think they are better than base line low cost items. If it works for you throw it till the stamp falls off then throw it some more.

I'd never even seen a Lightning disc until this summer. I'm spending the summer at Farragut State Park in northern Idaho and they have a ton of Lightning discs in the Pro Shop.

The plastic feels pretty good, but I've not bought or thrown one because I'm pretty well set with my discs. Also, I find the naming convention confusing because everything is #1 this and #2 that. But the bright colors and lowish price makes them very popular among folks at the park who buy a disc or two to try on one of the four courses here.

I suppose I ought to give one a whirl. I might be pleasantly surprised.