• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your 2 shot distance?

txmxer

* Ace Member *
We talk about pros being almost automatic from the circle. We talk about gaining distance on drives--particularly us noobs.

I'm curious what you would consider your 2 shot high accuracy distance on an open fairway? For instance, I was out practicing throws at a basket 200' away, I might put half my discs within my "likely" to make putting distance (about 15'). At 100', I expect to put most of my discs in that range (9/10).

The answers to this are obviously going to vary WILDLY....to the point of me missing the point. I guess I am not that interested in measuring my throws. I am more interested in developing my game to fit each hole and completing a course in as few strokes as possible.

Reminds me I need to practice putting.

I'll throw a bomb, only to miss the putt because it wasn't parked (I'm truly not a bad putter). Same as someone throwing 300' followed by a solid approach and/or putt.

Practice putting!

The answers to this are obviously going to vary WILDLY....to the point of me missing the point. I guess I am not that interested in measuring my throws. I am more interested in developing my game to fit each hole and completing a course in as few strokes as possible.

I thought it was a little more relevant than that. Golf (disc or ball) is all about strategy. As Gripenemy post points out, throwing a bomb does no good if you can't hit the putt--and that bomb can put you in jail at times.

And if you are playing a familiar course, this is all embedded in the experience--you don't necessarily have to think about it. OTOH, you go to a new or unfamiliar course, your judgement on distances will be part of what informs your choice on the next throw.

In a flat one field with no obstacles, probably 400' but on any course with trees, elevation changes, uneven ground and elevated baskets? Who knows.

In a flat one field with no obstacles, probably 400' but on any course with trees, elevation changes, uneven ground and elevated baskets? Who knows.

fair point---the specific hole is going to come in to play. My usual course has several short par 3's with trees all around that are much more critical than the distance.

Are you a touring player? If you are automatic up and down from 400' you are definitely pro tour caliber.

I am automatic from ~200 without obstacles.

I find it varies from hole to hole, based on the difficulty of the hole.

Open with no obstacles... probably about 240'ish. I expected to get up and down from 240 if it's an easy 240.

But some 200 ft holes are tougher than some 240-250 footers, and that's part of what makes the game interesting.
There are a few courses where the holes I birdie most frequently aren't necessarily the shortest ones on the course.

I don't play many courses that offer many clean looks from 240 or less.
I usually have to carve a line through some trees, or around something, or under a low ceiling, or thread a tight gap, etc. to land with 18 feet or so of the basket. Not saying I make every putt within 20' or so, but I certainly have the very realistic expectation of hitting every 18' footer, and probs even 20. My putting starts to fall off between 20 and 30 ft.

But a clean look from 240... I'm legitimately disappointed when I don't card a 2.

< is frequently disappointed.

Are you a touring player? If you are automatic up and down from 400' you are definitely pro tour caliber.

He prefaced that by saying in a flat field with no obstacles...

And I think he has posted videos here of him BOMBING forehands longer then 99% of discers even thought was possible.

For the record, I'm probably between 300-325, and my rating has hovered around 900 for my entire 3 year career. Open field hyzers are easy.

this. I usually save the hole with my upshot.

I'm the opposite. During field work I can gently float in Blowflies under the pin, or spike down Zones...but in a tournament I take ALL my strokes on completely fluffed or overcooked upshots.

We talk about pros being almost automatic from the circle. We talk about gaining distance on drives--particularly us noobs.

I'm curious what you would consider your 2 shot high accuracy distance on an open fairway? For instance, I was out practicing throws at a basket 200' away, I might put half my discs within my "likely" to make putting distance (about 15'). At 100', I expect to put most of my discs in that range (9/10).

So basically, what distance do you expect to approach and make the putt? As someone else said, it varies tremendously depending on the course situation. I'm disappointed if I don't get up and in from, oh, 200'? 275'? But who likes to play wide open holes? I like more technical holes where I need to stretch to make it up and in from 125' or 200'. That's funner golf by far.

No, I'm a decent advanced player with a very uneven skill set. But throwing a 400ft forehand accurately is my best skill.

I'm the opposite. During field work I can gently float in Blowflies under the pin, or spike down Zones...but in a tournament I take ALL my strokes on completely fluffed or overcooked upshots.

I am the same way. If I could regulate my shot power better during tournaments I would probably win some.

I'm curious what you would consider your 2 shot high accuracy distance on an open fairway?

Love this question.

Started playing in '88 with my dad and brother and we had a mantra that I still repeat today, regularly - "It's all about the second shot". That mantra probably has more to do with par 3's but this is still good stuff.

250 is the sweet spot for me. At 250, I am very comfortable carving mids. Without doubt, if I am throwing Wasp, Buzzz or Glide off the tee, I should bag a deuce (again, on an open fairway).

Last edited:
At first I thought 250', because that's the distance I can throw a nice easy midrange which is one of my most comfortable throws. But then I thought back to all the times I've failed to get up and down from 100'-150' over the past few weeks, so maybe the answer is actually 75'. :(

So basically, what distance do you expect to approach and make the putt? As someone else said, it varies tremendously depending on the course situation. I'm disappointed if I don't get up and in from, oh, 200'? 275'? But who likes to play wide open holes? I like more technical holes where I need to stretch to make it up and in from 125' or 200'. That's funner golf by far.

I am still very new to the sport--I've only played 2 courses total--one several rounds, the other twice. Fortunately, the one I play most is very diverse (Z-Boaz for those in DFW area). A few long open holes, big elevation changes, and some gnarly wooded holes with no true "line". Of course there are lines, but it's really difficult to visualize a 200' line that has to bend around a dozen trees in a specific manner. OTO, it also has a handful of long holes that are fairly open. Far beyond my range. I frequently find myself between 50' and 150' out depending on the hole. Playing skins the other day, I was ~60' out...I threw for the pin and ended up rolling away 30' out. 3 throws from the upshot. Allowed someone to tie me on the hole. I throw a 2 and he has to score from 100+ awkward spot. He laid up and dropped in. I was a dummy.

sooo...when I asked this question, I'm thinking strategy for improving my outcome. Playing smarter. Playing within my skill set rather than swinging for the fences hoping for a great shot.

At first I thought 250', because that's the distance I can throw a nice easy midrange which is one of my most comfortable throws. But then I thought back to all the times I've failed to get up and down from 100'-150' over the past few weeks, so maybe the answer is actually 75'. :(

i get that...Between 100' and 50' is dangerous cause I watch the pros bang the chains and I think...maybe...then it flies by or does something else and I'm outside my high confidence putting range, so I take 3 strokes where I should have had 2.

i get that...Between 100' and 50' is dangerous cause I watch the pros bang the chains and I think...maybe...then it flies by or does something else and I'm outside my high confidence putting range, so I take 3 strokes where I should have had 2.

Definitely. That weird half-go range is dangerous.

Latest posts