• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your 2 shot distance?

" What's your 2 shot distance?" If it's an open view to the basket, c2 < 350, c1 < 300.

I played Z-Boaz the other day with the notion of using control off the tee and not overly aggressive on upshots and putts. My scores weren't especially great as I still struggle with consistency (things like grip lock), but I felt good about my round and my play. What we called fairway golf when I played ball golf.

On the long putts, I'm trying to emulate Barsby (where it's an option) to throw a high flattish shot that's sinking towards the basket--similar to azplaya25 description.

Practicing in the backyard, I find I can throw at the basket from 30+ but I probably don't make 1 in 10 and if I'm trying to make the putt (throwing a spin putt that's fairly level), I'm more likely to have a "tester" for the next shot.

I'm sure with practice, I'll get better and this will evolve, but remembering to tone down aggressive play is really improving my game.

From my experience and what I see on here, new players are always thinking about ripping big shots. It's like a right of passage.

Nice! Barsby has a fantastic approach game, he is the epitome of chain high and on the way down. If he misses one of those high lob straddle putts, he's usually less than 5 feet from the basket. Just takes lots of practice. One thing that helped me, if your straddle putting, is just feel the weight of the disc, swing it back and forth like a kettlebell swing, and just use that momentum to lob it at the basket. If you work on getting a good clean release and finger spring you'll be able to make good bids at the basket from way past 30 feet, and still keep your comeback putts under 10 feet. Honestly, feeling the weight of the disc, and using your body to generate momentum against that weight, is really the key to this entire game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started a thread last year asking how versatile are you from 250'? A little after, Uli made a comment about pros earning their pay from 250' in. I'd like to think he lurks here and saw the thread.

No additional comment added.

Nice! Barsby has a fantastic approach game, he is the epitome of chain high and on the way down. If he misses one of those high lob straddle putts, he's usually less than 5 feet from the basket. Just takes lots of practice. One thing that helped me, if your straddle putting, is just feel the weight of the disc, swing it back and forth like a kettlebell swing, and just use that momentum to lob it at the basket. If you work on getting a good clean release and finger spring you'll be able to make good bids at the basket from way past 30 feet, and still keep your comeback putts under 10 feet. Honestly, feeling the weight of the disc, and using your body to generate momentum against that weight, is really the key to this entire game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grew up playing/loving basketball...you just described a jump shot.

And I try to use the mentality for my putting as I did when I practiced free throws.

For a relatively open, or at least a simple hyzer line shot, I'd say 200' i'm pretty reliable. The tarmac at work that I throw on has some good landmarks that are 250ish and I'm only maaaaybe 50/50 out that far.

Putting? 20-25'
Approach? 180-200'
So, let's go with 200-225', ranging from 90-to-80% as the distances increase.

Putting Max for me is ~25-30 Feet somewhere in there but good high% of making is more 20-25 feet.
Approach is 100-110 feet or so maybe a tad more to get to short putting under 16-17 feet.
Then 200-220 feet for off the tee if the shot is more open or a 10 foot at skinniest or wider tunnel. I only say this as a local course for me had a 200-201 foot hole now gone that was open and I made a 2 90% of the time in short putts unless tired or something, as long as the USA/Canadian Plains style winds were not in affect in South Dakota as then it will be all over the map.

I thought it was a little more relevant than that. Golf (disc or ball) is all about strategy. As Gripenemy post points out, throwing a bomb does no good if you can't hit the putt--and that bomb can put you in jail at times.

And if you are playing a familiar course, this is all embedded in the experience--you don't necessarily have to think about it. OTOH, you go to a new or unfamiliar course, your judgement on distances will be part of what informs your choice on the next throw.

This is good.

I've felt this way about 'regimented' practice sessions. For example, if you force yourself to practice from measured distances, you train your 'being' to 'read' these situations for when you imagine the stakes are higher, like a 'real' match. This practice hopefully allows for a more successfully executed shot. Or when learning to drive a straight-drive car, at first, one can barely manage. But with some experience many of the physical actions of driving become more or less automatic. Touch typing's another example.

Maybe Rupor's already past this point and has a hard time remembering his process of development?

A counter-example: I played a tournament round with a fellow once that stepped off every putting lie he had before he took his stroke. He was deadly within a certain range and didn't really take too much time. After asking him about his practice after the round, it became clear that he didn't fully trust his perceptions ('eyesight') and wished to access his kinesthetic memories of putts of differing lengths, most likely grained in from practicing the regimented way I described above...

We talk about pros being almost automatic from the circle. We talk about gaining distance on drives--particularly us noobs.

I'm curious what you would consider your 2 shot high accuracy distance on an open fairway?

I've only played my local 9 hole course, and that's not good for practice. So I've got a basket in my yard that I practice putts and lay ups with. I consider my putting range to be 25 feet, but that's aspirational- I hit metal a lot from 25 feet and get a few baskets. My lay up range with a putter is damn near bulletproof at 120 feet. Once I'm warmed up I get almost all of them within a dozen feet, and that's a gimme. I haven't worked past 120 feet because the nicest spot for my basket is 120 feet from a small pear tree, so I can throw in both directions.

How time flies. I have learned so much since I started playing in March.

And even when I started this thread.

My tee shots are much better, though not super distance. My upshots seem hit and miss—but, getting better. My putting sucks on the course. What is nothing in the backyard is challenging in a round.

In the backyard I either feel no pressure or I'm throwing multiples and can get my stroke together. Basically, I'm struggling with my putting stroke when it's one and done.

I think most of this game is mental. Obviously there is physical limits. I cant throw 500'. But I don't expect that. I should hit putts within 20', but I keep doinking them. Often closer.

Appreciate the replies. Keep slinging.