• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your disc golf history?

I started disc golfing at summer camp in Maine, I was the camp cook, many of the counsilers were from the midwest and had disc golf backgrounds. they had object course set up to keep the kids busy and entertain themselves, I started playing with them. When I got home I set up an object course in a park by my house. I met some other guys with similar courses, a few years later I started to see actual courses with basket goals, what a change! I bought some real drivers and such and off I went.

My disc golf story begins back in the summer of 1998. I was taking summer gym and my teacher took us to Blendon Woods which is a local short pay course where you can rent discs also. I thought it was the coolest thing with golf in the title ever. But my accuracy sucked and nobody cared to encourage me to play more so I didn't touch a disc again until the summer of 2002. A good friend was dating a guy who went on and on about how he saw we have a "frolf" course nearby and should go play. Why not we said, so we grabbed a beach frisbee and headed over to Hoover (Brent Hambrick). We gave up after hole 1 and went to the sporting goods store to buy real disc golf discs. It was amazing how much more fun it was and we all got hooked. Most got bored after that year but I stuck with it. I lost time to play much over the last couple of years but this spring I picked up my discs and made a commitment to myself to get serious about it. So here I am, still got a good thumber shot, but reinventing my game and developing an improving backhand shot.

Last edited:
We moved to Huntington Beach in Oct. 1988 from Carson City NV. In early 99 (jan or feb) we were enjoying the great SoCal winter weather at Central Park.

That should read "In early 89"

It's tough being blonde ;)

Hi All;

Interesting stuff here. Believe it or not, I played my first round in August of '73. I am certain of the year because I got my drivers license on my 16th birthday. (August 9th 1973) I also got my first real job that day too.

For a couple of years the guys in my neighborhood played a game we called "Target Frisbee". We had set two 4X4s in a neighbor's side yard. We would set a water (or gravel) filled can on each board. Obviously the object was to knock the can off. I believe we played to ten.

In the summer of '73 a temporary Disc Golf course was set up in downtown St. Louis in Forest Park. I read about in the weekend Post Dispatch newspaper. I still remember the picture of a Hula Hoop attached to a street light. I also remember thinking "I hope it's not right on a street".

Some time between reading the article and the start of school, on a week day, I drove by buddies (in a '69 AMC Ambassador station wagon named Gerber because of it's baby crap yellow paint job) to Forest Park. We threw one round and found it pretty lame due to the Hula Hoops. You almost had to land an approach right in line with the Hula Hoop to make a putt. Some of the hoops were mounted higher than we were tall. We decided that we'd rather play Target Frisbee.

So thirty odd years later I got on the net looking for a replacement Fastback Frisbee and found sites like this. When I started playing my wife's friend convinced her that I was stepping out because they'd never heard of the game. Now, everyone in my family has played but I'm the only one who plays regularly.

My disc golf history begins in 1978, when I was 14 years old. My best friends brother, who is 5 years older than I am, introduced us to Frisbee sports the previous year. Mostly freestyle, trick catches and throws and some more advanced stuff like nail delays.

He designed a 18 hole object course in our local neighborhood park, which was quite long and challenging at the time for those discs we used. We mostly just played during the summer, while on break from school. Too many other activities going on during the school year, plus the plastic cracked too easily in the colder temperatures. We played the hell out of that course, and we hooked many of the other kids in the neighborhood as well.

I didn't play or see my first pole hole (basket) course until the fall of 1982, during my freshman year in college. We played that course with lids, but by the time we graduated 4 years later, we started seeing the early generations of the new disc technologies. I wish I had kept more of those early discs.

I've been playing this great sport on and off ever since then.

Unfortunately, I started golfing when I was 58 years old. I LOVE playing disk golf. It beats walking around the block with the "old guys". I play every day even when there is 3 feet of snow on the ground. I also go to Bowling
Green in February when I need to get a disk golf "fix" because of the winters in Wisconsin. I am 60 years old and cherish every day that I can go out and golf. I was thinking about that just today after having a really good round at Abendshein in Oak Creek, WI. I have played that course in all seasons and it was a really good day today.

Had a friend call me up one day and ask if I wanted to go with him and his girlfriend and play some Frisbee golf.we sort of knew what it was but had never played.We went and played 18 and used actual Frisbees we bought at a local store. I remember we went to the first hole and it was 310ft from the tee to the pole hole. We thought "there's no way you can throw 310ft".
I saw other people throwing frisbees that far and further. Went and ask someone how they threw so far and they showed me their Frisbee cept it wasn't a Frisbee at all!
My friend and I went to a store up from the course and started looking at these disc -a driver?a mid-range? What were those numbers on the back?165g? 174g?
To make a long story short or shorter my friend is an avid Kayak er and pretty much stays with that I however fell in love with disc golf and have been playing for a good two years but just really started getting serious about it over the last five months or so.Fun but frustrating!

I first heard the term "disc golf" in 1994 when I was in school at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Somebody at my workplace had mentioned there was a course at Interstate Park (now Max E. Roper Interstate Park and I believe there was an article in the local rag about it. I was intrigued but didn't have a car and the course was about four miles from campus. Things kind of fell from memory after that, and after I graduated, I left Lincoln.

Forward to winter of 2003, I had come down with a nagging back injury and after going to the doctor and paying a bunch of money for medications and physical therapy which was only minimally helping, I simply came to the conclusion I had to get out and get more exercise. I started with the usual sit-ups, walking and jogging, which solved the problem.

And that sort of thing was fine at first as I like to go explore things on foot, but after awhile it was becoming a tedious regimen and I don't stick with those too well. I needed a way to make a game out of my exercise so it didn't seem like exercise. And much like nine years earlier, someone had mentioned that we had a disc golf course in town. Hmm.

One day that summer after watching my nephews play baseball in the same park that the course was located, I decided to check it out. I parked at the course and walked Hole 1. Then I went home and began researching disc golf websites on the internet. I was simply stunned by all the different kinds of discs and didn't know what to buy. Eventually I settled on an Innova starter set. I went out with it the first time and shot 105.

I must have played that course every day for a month. Eventually, I learned of other courses in the area and along the travel route to my parents home in Nebraska. Some were more impressive than others. Eventually, I learned to incorporate disc golf into my travel plans and wanted to go places just to check out their disc courses.

I had after a couple of years wanted to try out a tournament, as my skills were getting better, but I looked at my round scores compared to some of the tournament scores I saw in the area, and it seemed intimidating. And for the price of a tournament entry fee, (what? They want me to pay $20 for 2 rounds!) it really didn't seem worth it. But during one of my vacations, I happened to notice that there was a tournament in Kansas City while I was passing through. Rick Rothstein (who is on the PDGA BOD today) was TD'ing it. I decided to suck up and try it. I was on vacation after all.

I played novice and in the morning shot +9. I had a three stroke lead at lunchtime. But in the afternoon round I went OB three times and got into the woods too much and scored +19. I finished tied for fifth. Enough for bottom cash. I was a little disappointed, but I was hooked. The following year, I joined the KDGA. The year after that, I also joined the PDGA.

I've introduced the game to several family members, and have bought them discs for Christmas and birthday presents. Only one nephew of mine has been hooked enough to play on his own, but it provides for a fun time when we all get together.

Almost 2 summers ago now I was coming back to UNCW for my final semester of college when my friends told me about this game we could play while drinking beer outside! (A revolutionary step in my friends' lives since most of our drinking was done indoors along with our other, ahem, activities). So, my buddy D2 took me to Dick's Sporting Goods and I ended up getting a Shark, Valk, and an Eagle, all DX and skeptically I went with him and my two other buds out to Castle Hayne Park to play this frisbee game I had never heard of. After about a month of playing, D2 and I became fed up with sucking hard and warping our discs with repeated tree whacks and got more competitive. My friends and I have recruited at least 7 people into the disc golf fold including two of my bosses and my brother. The rest is history, which coincidentally was my major in college.

I was visiting my brother down in Austin TX who was doing a summer program at U of T. My whole family was down there and we were looking for something fun to do, my brother knew i enjoyed ultimate so he suggested we play this new game people played down there called disc golf. So we each grabbed a ultimate disc and headed to Pease Park. I was hooked instantly. After two rounds with ultimate discs i bought some some cheap driver from a guy there selling discs and I played 5 more rounds over the next two days.

After that vacation i kind of forgot about the game and i had lost the driver i had bought during my last round, and didnt play again for a couple years, as there were no courses in upstate NY. Then i discovered a course that some dude was building about 40 min from my house called Hyzer creek. So i fell in love again and finally bought a set of discs. Found a course near Virginia Tech where i was going to college. Never took it too seriously and only played once in a while down there.

Now i go to school in Buffalo NY which has a bunch of nice courses and a couple good leagues, so ive been playing in them and hope to play my first tournament this summer. This game keeps growing on me.

I reconnected with an old friend in 2001, when I returned to my hometown to live after about 13 years away, and he told me he was playing disc golf, showed me how to throw a few in the front yard. I was immediately interested so this same friend took me out for a couple introductory rounds, and even gave me basically a starter set from among his disc collection (one of which I still have). While I only threw with him at long intervals after those first couple of outings, I kept going out on my own or with a couple other people we got interested in the game. I don't play as much as I once did, but I am eternally grateful to that guy for showing me my new favorite outing, and wish I would run into on the course sometime.

Back in about 1993, I was in high school and a friend of a friend invited 3 of us to go play. None of us had played or even heard about it but were instantly hooked. I must have played a few times a month until I left for college where the closest course was many miles away. Life got hectic but I still played occasionally up until 1998. My wife was pregnant and still tried to play with me but it was becoming painful for her to throw. I probably played less than 5 rounds between 1998 and 2001 and then just stopped all together. Many reasons, I moved and was not near any courses, my buddies were getting married and jobs and no one really had the time.

About 2-3 months ago, a friend and I were going to play regular golf, it was around a holiday and was going to cost $60 for 18. I brought up how much we used to enjoy disc golf and hey, it is free. Next thing I knew, I was digging through the garage and found 5 of my old discs. We went out and played Elon Park and fell in love with it all over again. Since then, I've picked up 3-4 new discs, played a few courses I'd never played and looking forward to playing many more.

I've lived with Kenwood Park in my back yard for 5 years, but never gave it a thought - I was always too busy biking, sailing, or rollerblading in the summer.

Then, last year, hubby had shoulder surgery and couldn't ride for several months. In September, he grabbed one of my old, old, old Ultimate Frisbees and went adventuring. When I got home from work he dragged me out there to throw a round. The next day, while I was still at work, he bought each of us a Valkyrie, a Stingray, and an Aviar P&A. We've both been hooked ever since.

;) Great, just one more sport that work interferes with!!! ;)

For me, disc golf was a substitute for ball golf. Little did I know that it would become so addicting!

I played ball golf for 15yrs, but as I got older and started a family, ball golf really didn't fit into the family budget so well, not to mention the amount of time it takes to play a round of ball golf. So without the time/money to play ball golf, my skills (or lack thereof) quickly declined to the point I didn't enjoy it anymore. I quit playing.

A couple of years later, while driving through Freeman Lake Park, I saw a sign that said "DISC GOLF COURSE". I had no idea what that was, but as much as I loved golf, I had to find out. Shortly after, I discovered that a sanitation engineer at the local manufacturing facility that I work at played disc golf. We met after work one day at Radcliff City Park and I played my first round. Instantly hooked!!! (Although I was terrible). He gave me a couple of discs, and that was it. I think I shot +14 sign par, somewhere around a 72 or so.

From there, well, it's like everyone else, it quickly became an addiction!

I've been disc golfing since before I was born, I fashioned a Tee bird out of spare placenta and played same hole over and over in the womb.

This is what I have posted on my profile:

I threw my first disc out on Dry Creek course in Cheyenne, Wyoming back in 1998. I threw a couple of discs with a friend who was just getting into the sport, and he convinced me to buy my own disc. Being a poor high school kid, I invested my 10.99 and got a whopping 12 holes out of it. Not that it mattered much; I was consistently driving it backhand about 150 feet with a huge hook. I still remember the disc disappearing into the shrubbery by the highway, and spending an hour in the dried up creek bed before getting thoroughly pissed at my lost investment in a sport I sucked at. I vowed to just spend my days on a ball golf course instead.

Fast forward to the spring of 2004, my brother-in-law moved to town and asked me one night if I "Frisbee golfed." I told him once, and I wasn't that good, but since I was newly married in a new town and little money to spend on ball golf - I took him up on his offer to head back out to a course. Stopping at Academy Sports, I made a new investment in a DX Leopard and an Epic driver, not knowing if either was any good.

We headed down to Anges Moffit Park in Houston and began to new experiment. The Leopard would roll forever and I must have spent hours trying to gently bend the Epic to form as the instructions said on the package. It all came together one day when I gave up the backhand for an "out of desperation" sidearm throw. Stars aligned and the Epic snapped out of my fingers going right before a gentle fade left in what I thought was the most beautiful S curve I'd ever seen. I was hooked.

We managed to suck my brother and his wife into playing with us, and what followed were ample days of Epic = Tree = bend again forever before hitting more trees. I finally threw it into the swampy area at Bear Branch in the Woodlands on number 11 - yes it was that bad. I never found it, but instead found an unmarked candy XL that magically transformed my game. I don't think I lost a round in my little group for about six full months of constant play. Life was good.

Then came the elbow aches, the shoulder issues, bruised knees and lockjaw. And finally a fateful day at Spring Valley and the cursed tree on hole #2 that I connected with, bouncing my XL into the brown nasty water. After that, it just wasn't the same, and sometime a bit after the Oak Meadows grand opening tournament in late 06'- I just stopped playing. I got a new job that took up most of my time, and had a kid. Fortunately, my brother really got into the sport and convinced me to check out this site in November and even play in a Birdshot tournament at Terramont in December of last year. We both signed up in the novice division, and I ended up winning it by three shots. The fire was officially rekindled, and as they say - the rest is history.

Man, I feel really old hearing all these stories where there were already real pole hole courses and specialized golf discs when people started playing. I was rarely without a disc close by in my middle teen years in the late 1970s, but was mostly playing throw-and-catch or freestyle with my high school cronies (we had an open campus, and several of us would grab something quick from the cafeteria vending machines and rush outside and freestyle on the tennis courts behind the band room for most of our lunch period).

Even then, I was incapable of being interested in something without reading everything I could find about it, and our local library had a copy of Stancil Johnson's Frisbee: A Practitioner's Manual and Definitive Treatise. Through that, I became familiar with the major names in the sport at the time, including Dan "Stork" Roddick, Victor Malafronte, and of course Ed Headrick. I joined the IFA, and started trying out all of the sports and games I learned about, including distance, Maximum Time Aloft, Throw-Run-Catch, etc. And of course, disc golf.

I was throwing far enough even with my noodle arm and my Wham-O Master Frisbee and Professional Frisbee that playing disc golf in my yard was out, so I started trekking to a local elementary school that had a huge amount of open land around it, with occasional trees, plenty of light poles, and even a small pond with a sort of island (a peninsula, technically, but more of an island with a dirt bridge to it), where I laid out a 9 hole object course that seemed reasonable to me. Looking at Google Maps, and trying to remember the layout of some of the holes, most were in the 150-300 ft range, which is surprising -- I recall thinking of at least a couple of holes as par 4s, though they couldn't have been much over 300 ft.

In college, there was an object course that played through the most heavily trafficked parts of the campus -- astounding that the administration let us get away with it as long as they did, but it was quite short -- all of the holes were 120-200 ft or so -- maybe one longer one. One involved throwing from a plateau across 100 ft or so through trees, which then sloped down 15 ft or so to a sidewalk, across that and through more trees to a flagpole in front of the campus center -- meaning that discs came sailing over the heads of people walking along that sidewalk, and right into people coming or going from the campus center. Aces weren't at all uncommon, and neither were pedestrian-disc collisions.

Playing that course nearly every day for four years really formed my game -- never had any need to develop any distance, but learned to shape shots pretty well. Still playing mostly with lids, though by then I'd added a Wham-O Moonlight Flyer "golf disc" to my collection.

Freshman year (spring 1983), I heard that there was a real disc golf course at Burns Park in North Little Rock, and that there was a tournament during our spring break. So I drove down, camped at Burns Park in a tent that turned out to be missing half its poles, in early March when the ground was still incredibly cold (I barely slept at all for shivering), and played my first tournament -- also the first time I'd ever played a course with real baskets. The tournament was run by Ted and Susie Smethers, and I also bought my first real golf discs -- a DGA Kitty Hawk Driver and Kitty Hawk Putter (the driver still has Ted's PDGA number on the bottom certifying it for tournament use). We started driving down occasionally to play, but mostly kept playing our campus course.

In the summer of 1986, I played the Arkansas State Championship, Am Division, and was leading after the first round. As I've mentioned elsewhere here, that meant I got to play the second day in a group with Steady Ed Headrick, which was a huge thrill but messed with my head so bad that I ended up finishing third or fourth.

Then I moved to Atlanta to go to grad school in August 1986, and my disc golf days basically ended for the next two decades -- the only course around Atlanta I knew of was at Chastain Park, which was nearly impossible for me to get to without a car -- likewise for Redan Park when it came along. I did get to play at Oregon Park a few times, as it was near the home of some family friends of my girlfriend, and we did head over to Wills once, but living inside the Perimeter without a car I just couldn't manage it more than a few times a year.

I did play Lenora Park a couple of times when I had an office in Snellville in 2001, but it was a long way from home, and the course was in the opposite direction from my commute, so I didn't do it much.

I finally started playing again regularly when we bought a new house across the street from East Roswell Park -- my wife picked the house, so she can't claim I did it because of the disc golf course -- didn't even realize it was there until afterward, but now that I can walk a thousand feet or so from my front door to the fourth tee, I've gotten back into it. I sort of feel like Rip Van Winkle at times -- lots of stuff happened in the sport in the 20 years I wasn't paying attention, and I always feel like I'm way behind trying to catch up.

Uuggghhh. Okay this is a note to everyone out there with your account "remembered" on your computer. Don't let your smarta@@ family members on your computer without supervision. Bruised Knees and Lockjaw...I'm gonna kill em'. :mad: Teach me to just copy and paste without reading it first.

Was kinda wondering about that but thought it better to just let slide.

Pretty subtle...someone is good.

Latest posts