• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] What's your favourite disc for a good long hyzerflip?

Out of the box, the Trespass definitely isn't Sidewinder flippy. It's one of (if not the) closest molds to the Destroyer I've ever thrown. It may take a long time but IMHO I think it would be completely worth beating one up to make it understable. I understand it wouldn't be easy to replace if lost. Its just that in my experience beat up stable/overstable drivers that have some turn right away get more distance when beat up than molds that start out flippy. Plus they usually hold that sweet shop longer than drivers that are flippy out of the box. So if the Trespass is to much of a disc for the OP he could choose a slower/smaller rimmed driver with similar flight characteristics to beat up.

What about just a lighter one?

Inertia is my first choice. Escape would be my second. Both have very Valkyrie like flights with the Inertia being faster, the Escape glidier.

Another couple of discs that might (or might not) work are the C-Line TD and C-Line or S-Line CD. I have an S-Line TD that has not yet seasoned into understability, but I don't hyzer-flip it... but you might have better success with that. And the C-Line plastic (which is Champion plastic) would be an offset to that and would stay where it is (i.e. not significantly change it's flight pattern) for a much longer timeframe.

What about just a lighter one?
That could work, it depends though. I don't want to be the forum d**k but how far can you throw consistently & with what distance driver? I'm not talking max distance in an open field 1/10 times with a tailwind. I'm talking usable golf distance you can consistently repeat out on the course. This information will help everyone with disc suggestions most suitable to your power level. IMHO bagging discs that you can't "get up to speed" slows down your progression.

Basically the Inertia is somewhere in the Valk-Sidewinder spectrum and ACTUALLY flies like the numbers suggest and the Relay is a Leopard.

I've been working in a Valkyrie (Champ Glo 171g) over the past year and really like it. I can hyzer flip it FH & BH and like how stable it is. Been thinking about checking out an Inertia but it's supposed to be faster so I'm not sure if I want to sacrifice the control I get from the speed 9 Valkyrie.

The only other disc I can hyzer-flip a long way is the Comet.

My longest throw to date was with a fresh Champ Mamba 169 grams thrown with a semi-deep hyzer low and straight. I thought I threw it too low and was in awe that it just kept going...

Nothing in Pro plastic is tasty...you're substituting a ****ty plastic blend for stability...just buy a disc in the stability range you're looking for. I tried a few discs in pro plastic, and when a pro boss and pro destroyer turn and burn like an opto air bolt...Houston there's a problem.

agree on the boss & destroyer in pro...

but, i must say, i've never had this problem with pro wraiths. it is one of the best molds in pro plastic; hyzer flip machine once worked in.

the pro wraith x-outs from the factory store are awesome these days...

That could work, it depends though. I don't want to be the forum d**k but how far can you throw consistently & with what distance driver? I'm not talking max distance in an open field 1/10 times with a tailwind. I'm talking usable golf distance you can consistently repeat out on the course. This information will help everyone with disc suggestions most suitable to your power level. IMHO bagging discs that you can't "get up to speed" slows down your progression.

Haha, no worries, I'm always scratching my head at internet distance. I can consistently throw the length of a soccer field, a little less than that even more consistently ;) I'm a big guy with long arms and have been told to bag max weight discs, but I find my furthest, most accurate shots come when I flip discs in the 167-171 range.

Depends on how long of a hyzerflip, but I would go with my Pro Destroyer for big open distance or VIP Hatchet for tighter lines. Both discs feel good in the hand. The Pro Destroyer just needs more height to work.

but, i must say, i've never had this problem with pro wraiths. it is one of the best molds in pro plastic; hyzer flip machine once worked in.

Also pro Leopards are amazing. Obviously not as long as a Wraith, but one of my favorites in pro plastic. Also great to hyzer flip for that matter.

From Latitude 64 I hyzerflip an new 169 Opto Fury. It's sneaky long and doesn't require much height to work.

For *really* long hyzerflips and annys I use a new 165 Z Avenger SS out to 350 or a little longer. It wants to fly higher and wiggle more but it goes farther.

Also pro Leopards are amazing. Obviously not as long as a Wraith, but one of my favorites in pro plastic. Also great to hyzer flip for that matter.

100% spot on. if i didn't throw the early runs of PLS, stock pro leopards would be in the bag.

for fieldwork it is easily the discmania s-line TD or a star sidewinder. i can throw both on anyline and they glides forever on an anny. really fun for just bombing and working on throwing different lines. the TD is a little more reliable and stable that the sidewinder, but it will still turn.

I'll concede and retrace my steps and say the boss and destroyer, for me personally are horrible discs. The wraith has never been friendly to me. I never understood it. I can turn a boss and destroyer, but never get turn out of a wraith, it just stays straight and fades.

I agree champ Sidewinder is way more stable then Gstar/star. If you liked Gstar Sidewinder then get one of those again (or star), even though it's not an exciting sounding model they are amazing discs. I would not get a River, they are far touchier than Sidewinder and slower as well. I feel like if you try to overpower the River it will go all crazy and if you overpower the Sidewinder it just turns more. Another option could be a Thief if you want Trilogy, it would be more like hyzer flip to straight/turn then fade and more stable than a Sidewinder, but a good long hyzer flip disc in the speed 8/9 range.

Flip

My choice for trilogy would be out of the box Underworld, a three tree hit Moonshine Escape or recycled Hatchet. Two of my favorite hyper flip discs were a used fuzion trespass and a used sparkle Sword. There are plenty of players who retired discs because they get too flippy for them. I don't throw as fast as they do so they flip just right for me. They sell them cheap too.
In MVP the relay is an out of the box perfect hyper flip disc, very controllable. I throw it almost as far as my drivers. If you get the enertia, get it in Plasma it breaks in fast. Mine flips to straight and then turns at 225' with a fade to short of center.

Latest posts