• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's Your Perfect Round?

Paul McBeth nearly threw a "perfect game" at this year's Memorial. Playing to his own potential, within his skill range, he scored almost as best he could, short of having an ace, or some other lucky shot.

At my home course, I think my perfect score, as my skills stand right now, is a 52 (-2), if the pins are long. Many of the holes are unreachable by my drives, and unless I got a lucky "fairway" ace, or REALLY lucky ace...a lower score than 52 is just not going to happen. That score would mean I made every putt, and every drive / approach went were I wanted them to.

So, as your skills are now, what's your realistic "perfect round?"

Based on the fact that my group plays Circle C and Searight (Austin, TX) more than any other course I would say they are the only ones I really can judge. A perfect round at Searight would be a -17. I say that because I have birdied every hole except number 9. Perfect would be putting all those birdies together in the same round.

Circle C perfection for me would be -8. Same theory there are 9 holes there that I birdie and 18 is a bogey more often than not. Just got to put the birdies together in the same round.

That score would mean I made every putt, and every drive / approach went were I wanted them to.

By that definition a -18 on pretty much all 18 hole courses with realistic pars.

Have not had that day yet, though ^^

My best round I've ever played was a 43 at my home course, Basil Griffin. I can and have birdied every hole on the course mutliple times, just not all at once. I definitely have the potential to shoot 18 down there

With that being said, It is a much easier course than Fountain Hills and I can't even fathom having a kind of round like Paul said. He was about 2 inches away from an absolutely perfect round, one missed putt

My easy 9 hole home course should be an easy -9, which I only have done twice (with an ace splashout for -10).
I feel like most courses I play I could get the -18 in the "perfect round" scenario. I have the skillset to birdie most holes on most courses I play, but the ability to repeatedly do that is lacking.

-18 on every course.

Honestly any course I've played more than 5 or 6 times, I've birdied every hole on the course at some point.

My home course #1 would be -18. Every hole is reachable, though two of them play very long and take a good 460' throw to get in putting range.

My home course #2 would be -16. There is one par-4 and one short hole that requires a cut-roller or perfect flex forehand to birdie. I've done it, but in a competitive round, it's play for a 3. I own the course record at -11 (with a bogey) so a -16 would simply be Nirvana.

My perfect round would be one where the disc does what I want it to every time. I wouldn't worry much about what my score was because we play a sport where a perfectly good shot can have a bad roll and end up OB or a number of other tricky situations. I've hit the basket with my drive on #5 at Glenn Hilton and then rolled right into the water. I wouldn't call that a bad shot just a bad consequence of a good shot.

I imagine unless your home course is really hard everyone has birdied most of the holes on the courses they play a lot; even if it was just a lucky throw in at one point.

My spreadsheet says I have a chance at 18 down every 194 million rounds at my home course. Course record is 12 down, which (assuming 12 birds and 6 pars, and just multiplying my 12 highest birdie rates) I have a chance at every 39000 rounds.

Those numbers make the 10-down I shot a couple weeks ago feel a lot more satisfying now.

Depends on the positions at Delaveaga:

http://delaveagadiscgolf.com/hole-descriptions/

Lets pretend they are in the Tournament positions:

I have never parred 13. (aka i5, 4 is the AmPar on that hole)

I have never birdied 1, 2, 4, 5, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 26a.

I'd call the birdies I have had on 7, 10, 23, and 27 in the long positions to be miraculous events (only done 1-2 times on perfect drives), but I'll keep them as birdies for "Perfect".

Soo.....looks like -9 would be absolute perfection if I were to play Master's Cup at Dela in the 29 Pin configuration (last year they just used 24). I'd have to birdie 3, 6, 7, 8, 8a, 9, 10, 17, 21, 23 and bogey 13. Not really doable for me in reality.

Short positions is a whole other story, especially if 13 is in the Ice Bowl position where I could par it. I got a -1 with nearly all short positions once - a DG goal I set when I started and reached last winter.

Dela keeps you from ever thinking you are really good at this game, which is awesome.

The answer is 42

...everybody knows that. :D

But seriously, I think playing a 'real' course where there are challenges to just getting threes on every hole, and shooting 12 birdies, witnessed by friends & family, would be pretty near 'perfect'.

Maybe improving on that would be if my wife would play, shoot that, and beat me. That would likely make for a good night, too! ;)

I've had a near- 'perfect' week though, shooting seven personal course bests (57 at Mt. Airy, 69 at Idlewild (18 shorts), 42 at Woodland Mound, 50 at Gulley, 20 at Countryside, 22 at Amelia, and 51 at AJ Jolly) in the last seven days. I did not top my personal best at Alexandria (16) :eek:.

...everybody knows that. :D

But seriously, I think playing a 'real' course where there are challenges to just getting threes on every hole, and shooting 12 birdies, witnessed by friends & family, would be pretty near 'perfect'.

Maybe improving on that would be if my wife would play, shoot that, and beat me. That would likely make for a good night, too! ;)

I've had a near- 'perfect' week though, shooting seven personal course bests (57 at Mt. Airy, 69 at Idlewild (18 shorts), 42 at Woodland Mound, 50 at Gulley, 20 at Countryside, 22 at Amelia, and 51 at AJ Jolly) in the last seven days. I did not top my personal best at Alexandria (16) :eek:.

I threw a 42 at Winton with putters! As big of a Hitchhiker's fan as I am, I never made the connection.

For me right now, my perfect round would be -18, but that's really stretching it, since there are 2 holes that I know I CAN birdie, but never have. So -14 would be about perfect.

At Sylmar, if I was just on my game. 10 under is probably the best I could do. I've shot 6 under before and could have been lower.

A perfect round would be breaking the course record at my home course, 48 (-13 which was a 1059 rated round). My personal best is 52 casually, 55 in a tournament. I can birdie every hole, so I have the ability to break do it, but stringing them all together to shoot a -14 or better is difficult to say the least.

I did shoot a 48 at Highbridge - Granite Ridge. That's the one and only perfect round I can think of that I shot.

Last edited:
I think for me a perfect round at Eagle County Fairgrounds would be -12. Haven't gotten close.

Best round I can remember was -5 at Beaver Creek, no bogies.

Nice afternoon, good cool weather, lots of sun. A couple good friends (wife included), not too crowded of a course, a couple cold Blue Lights on ice in the bag and a few good throws. Not too hard to make a day off outside perfect to me.

For those who are saying you could potentially throw -18, are you assuming you'd be draining some longer than normal putts, or parking every hole? Or maybe there are Par 4's that you're getting 3's on?

Paul McBeth nearly threw a "perfect game" at this year's Memorial. Playing to his own potential, within his skill range, he scored almost as best he could, short of having an ace, or some other lucky shot.

At my home course, I think my perfect score, as my skills stand right now, is a 52 (-2), if the pins are long. Many of the holes are unreachable by my drives, and unless I got a lucky "fairway" ace, or REALLY lucky ace...a lower score than 52 is just not going to happen. That score would mean I made every putt, and every drive / approach went were I wanted them to.

I think that the best I could possibly do on my home course (Armco White), if I birdied every hole that I am capable of would be 45 (-14). The best I have ever done is 50.

For those who are saying you could potentially throw -18, are you assuming you'd be draining some longer than normal putts, or parking every hole? Or maybe there are Par 4's that you're getting 3's on?

For me, I've parked every hole at one point or another, so I was assuming some combination of perfect drives and hitting putts within the circle.