• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When am I ready to go to a higher speed distance driver?

dasteve003

I've been playing 3-5 times a week for a month now and started with a fairway driver champion TL(7,5,0,1). I then moved to a distance driver champion Krait(11,5,-1,2) , and for the last 2 weeks have been using a distance driver champion road runner (9,5,-4,1). I realized I was reading the numbers wrong and that I should choose a smaller number for the turn to help keep my discs straighter while I'm still learning and the road runner has been pretty good for that.

So I've been noticing for the most part I'm starting to get a little more distance the more I throw with the road runner (I throw RHBH). But I'm talking about 250-275 on a good throw. How much longer do I use the road runner before upgrading to a new disc. From what I've read and I'm still pretty new to things, you don't wanna go up to a 13 speed when your first starting out because its teaches bad habits so I don't wanna go to high on speed but feel like the major part of my game that's lacking is the distance piece.

Also if I do go up in speed should I be looking to keep my turn and fade numbers close to the road runner or should I try and go closer to 0. If these sounds like silly questions it's because I'm still new to the sport. I'm wanting to progress my game to the next level but wanna make sure I'm doing it the right way or best practice so to speak.

Any input from seasoned players is appreciated!

Thanks,
- Steve

Honestly, I'd stick with fairways for now. TL is a great disc to start with. Many will suggest the Leopard or cheetah as well. Once your consistently hitting near 300

Keep working on form with neutral, slower discs. Leopards, Patriots, Comets, Rivers, etc, are all great discs to learn good form with. At your current distances, you really aren't going to benefit from throwing anything over a speed 8.

Since you said you want to get better I would recommend throwing putters and/or midrange discs more and throw the TL less. I wish someone would have told me when I first started out that there is no magic disc to make you throw farther you just have to keep practicing and in time (and it could be months or years depending on your ability) you will get more distance. In the mean time practice good form and follow the sticky links in this sub forum. As far as going up a speed you won't be ready for a while like I said but when you are ready you should try something similar in flight numbers to what you're already throwing but at a faster speed, this will help you know if you're ready to go up. Does that make sense to you?

Hey, I'm an old, overweight guy who just took up the sport four years ago when I turned 50. I too wish I'd have listened when folks said to focus on lower speed discs, but I always wanted to see distance gains like the young whippersnappers. Kept trying a bunch of high speed stuff until I realized they're only useful if your arm speed gets up there.

Now I throw (rhbh) my (Vibram VP) putters at anything inside 100', my mids (Buzzz mostly, sometimes a Fuse & a Tensor) out to 240', and basically a selection of speed 7 fairway drivers (Teebird, River and Underworld) out to maybe 280'. I still break the rule a bit by depending on my Terns at 300+, but I don't think I've ever really thrown past 360' on a flat hole with those.

As evidence that you can do a lot with lower speed stuff, I have a friend who throws a pro Rhyno further than I can drive. He can beat me with a putter only, so there aren't even a lot of courses around where he needs to contemplate high speed discs. I know, anecdotal stuff, but it serves to remind me there's no magic distance disc. It's all form, technique, experience. Throw discs that perform reliably -predictably- for you, and enjoy!

If you're playing 3-5 times a week, make at least one of those rounds putters only. Also mix in rounds of putter, OS mid and US mid(throw both mids from every spot, like a solo best shot doubles round). I was given this advice and ignored it for a long time. Saw immediate results once I finally tried it.
Other practice rounds:
Any new disc- that disc and a putter.
Putter and neutral mid(learning to make discs go left or right on your own is key)
Teebird and leopard-again throwing both from every shot.

Find an empty field, preferably with painted sidelines, and find the right arm angle for each disc you intend to bag that gets it to land on the sideline when you aim down the sideline(should be hyzer release for US, and anny release for OS). This is a better way to tell when you should be moving up in discs. If you have to start an understable driver on an anny just to finish straight, you should throw something slower.

If you aren't sure if you are releasing hyzer, or flat, or anny, buy a NOVA(get one anyway, they're awesome). Throw the Nova down the sideline. If it finishes left you released hyzer, right was anhyzer. If it goes 200+ feet dead straight and comes to rest on the sideline, you released perfectly flat and torque free(winner, winner chicken dinner!!!).

Any of these drills will shave more strokes from your game than just trying to rip a faster disc past where your roc/teebird/whatever landed. And learning to shape lines with your slower discs will end up netting you more distance from all your discs anyway.

I'm at the same distance as you.
I throw a vibram summit 150 in.
150-230ish I throw a vibram ibex.
239ish-290ish (my max d) I use the vibram unlace.

I appreciate all the advice, I do feel however that may road runner (9 speed) keeps getting better and better and adding distance the more I use it, do you think I should put it back in the bag so to speak and just work on fairway drivers and mid range discs?

I am definitely hearing what everyone's saying (and I do have a field by my house I go and throw at sometimes) but I feel like if I'm noticing improvements in my game and distance I shouldn't go to a higher disc yet but feel I should keep with the road runner for now since it is improving and giving me confidence when I throw as well as being pretty predictible for me, thoughts?

I do have a stingray that I use for mid range shots (even hit a 60 foot shot right in the basket for birdie with it once) and then a champion avair putter in addition to the TL and Krait I mentioned before. Again thanks for all the advice keep it coming!

throw. How much longer do I use the road runner before upgrading to a new disc. From what I've read and I'm still pretty new to things, you don't wanna go up to a 13 speed when your first starting out because its teaches bad habits so I don't wanna go to high on speed but feel like the major part of my game that's lacking is the distance piece.
One thing I advise is ditch the whole speed number = experience mentality. Those numbers on the discs aren't gospel truth, they're marketing hype and are at best only good to give you a ballpark estimation of what the disc can do if thrown properly. You may never need a speed 12+ driver in your bag. I don't carry anything above a 10 because I can't get any appreciable results from those discs without screwing my form up. Note: an extra 25' on a few drives in an open field is not a sign of progress.

Also if I do go up in speed should I be looking to keep my turn and fade numbers close to the road runner or should I try and go closer to 0. If these sounds like silly questions it's because I'm still new to the sport. I'm wanting to progress my game to the next level but wanna make sure I'm doing it the right way or best practice so to speak.
Same mentality when incorporating beefier discs. Honestly, you should be trying more stable discs at the same speeds you're throwing before going up the speed ladder.

Higher speed doesn't necessarily mean instant distance. I had that problem myself and the best advice I was given was to put my DD's away for a year and only use my Pro Leopard (speed 6 fairway driver). I wish I knew who the people were who told me that because my technique, form, and distance have all drastically improved. I was throwing my leopard farther than any of my distance throwers. So honestly I'd say the same for you. My progression was my pro leopard and then eventually I started using a champ teebird as well. And then went to a valk. And one day I'll pull my Wraiths back out :) but I'm still not there yet.

I appreciate all the advice, I do feel however that may road runner (9 speed) keeps getting better and better and adding distance the more I use it, do you think I should put it back in the bag so to speak and just work on fairway drivers and mid range discs?

NO! If everyone learned to throw using understable discs the world would have less throwers torquing the hell out of overstable discs to make them go anywhere. Imho keep using the roadrunner for your max-d shots and only move up to move stable to over stable discs when you start turning over your road runner too much. And you will probably only do that when you start throwing 400ft. ;) (Or throwing them in any kind of head wind!) lol...

Now..as others have said throw a stable putter as often as possible. Work on throwing it 100,150,200ft but no more than 6-10ft off the ground. You want a nice low line drive look to your putter distance throws. When you start throwing your putter 200ft+ on a line drive, you should be able to throw mids 220-250, fairways 250-275, max d drivers 300+.

Don't worry about max distance. That will come with time. It's much better to learn how to throw putters level & straight. :thmbup:

Like most beginners, I grabbed a higher speed disc (discraft Predator) and would wing it as far as I could without understanding the mechanics behind why the disc wasn't flying the way it was intended to fly.

I was recently told by a seasoned professional that I needed to increase my arm strength and in order to do that, I needed to start using slower spinning, higher weighted discs. So I picked up a meteor and buzz (both a 5). It was pretty discouraging at first since my throws only averaged about 50 yards but as time went on I managed to throw the meteor and buzz 75, 85 and now 100 yards. And all within a couple of months of playing 2-3 times a week.

I have now advanced to throwing a viper and drone 125 yards with each throw. The next time I advance again is when I reach the 140 yard mark.

I think once you gain more control, arm strength and the ability to throw your discs consistently over 150 yards, you will be ready to use the higher spinning discs like a boss or curve.

I hope that helps.

I have now advanced to throwing a viper and drone 125 yards with each throw. The next time I advance again is when I reach the 140 yard mark.

I think once you gain more control, arm strength and the ability to throw your discs consistently over 150 yards, you will be ready to use the higher spinning discs like a boss or curve.

I hope that helps.

Ummm, you're throwing a Viper and Drone 375 feet? And suggesting not to move up to a driver until you can throw low speed discs 450 feet?

Just like everyone else already said, work on those putters and mids. It will make you a better all around player and shave strokes off your scores. Climbing the speed ladder is not as that big of a deal, honestly. You could never get any faster than a TeeBird (7) and do just fine distance-wise.

Last edited:
There are a TON of varying opinions on the Subject. Start with Fact to base your Decisions.... Disc Companies use a Speed rating to rate how well their discs cut through the air. They tell you much the disc should glide, High speed turn, and Low speed fade. What they DO NOT tell you is the SPEED that any particular disc NEEDS to be thrown to achieve the ratings they Provide. Well, except Vibram, actually.

Long story short, as a New to Intermediate player, you are Probably not going to be achieving the throw speeds required to achieve the disc ratings. Plain and simple.

With that, GENERALLY, UNDERSTABLE DISCS (higher LOW SPEED Turn Ratings) are Easier for a newer player, (and by HIGHER High Speed Turn ratings I mean the Higher the NEGATIVE Number) or someone with slower arm speed, to make work as advertised. Generally Speaking.

That may be why your Roadrunner works better for you than your TL, per se. The TL is rated as a Slower Speed disc, BUT, it is MUCH more stable. I, Personally, could NOT through a TL well until I had been playing a year, or Better. But, I could huck a Roadrunner better than most of my other discs, as well. I, personally, would say work on throwing putters and mids (like many others have said) but, if you are going to go to a Distance Driver, go Understable. If you are throwing Innova stuff, the Mamba was a Big Distance Disc for me when I started going Higher Speed.

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth. I think working for as long as I did with Understable discs that I could make fly helped shape my game so I could also shape shots with stable discs once I worked my arm speed into them.

Last edited:
Well I played 2 rounds of nine today at my local course and the first nine I played essentially for "2 players". One of the players I played as I normally would using whatever disc I thought I needed. The other I only used the putter for each and every throw and averaged a bogey on each hole for that player but according to most of you it's a step in the right direction so I'm giving it a shot. The second round of 9 I did shoot normal and only for "1 player". (baby steps lol)

I didn't mention it earlier but I can throw my TL sidearm and get ok distance but 75% of the time or more it will turn and hit the ground rolling which gives me a good chunk of extra distance. I assume I should be throwing this backhand but the roll I get is pretty sweet lol.

Again I'm still learning and am trying to put into practice a lot of the suggestions I'm seeing multiple people suggest. Maybe start driving backhand with my TL, mid range shots with my stingyray and putts with my avair and leave the road runner in my bag from time to time or stick with straight putter rounds or a mix of both?

Well I played 2 rounds of nine today at my local course and the first nine I played essentially for "2 players". One of the players I played as I normally would using whatever disc I thought I needed. The other I only used the putter for each and every throw and averaged a bogey on each hole for that player but according to most of you it's a step in the right direction so I'm giving it a shot. The second round of 9 I did shoot normal and only for "1 player". (baby steps lol)
You're doing it wrong. Stop playing rounds and start practicing shots. Nobody is telling you to play exclusively with putters and compare that to a round with a full bag.

I didn't mention it earlier but I can throw my TL sidearm and get ok distance but 75% of the time or more it will turn and hit the ground rolling which gives me a good chunk of extra distance. I assume I should be throwing this backhand but the roll I get is pretty sweet lol.

That's a roller shot and there's nothing wrong with it. If you can get a consistent roller and increase your distance, then more power to you! :thmbup:

You should be actively trying to get the roll when it will help; it shouldn't just happen randomly. Also work on shots that get consistent distance through the air, because a roller won't work on every shot (water, tall grass, etc.)

Latest posts