• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When did you figure out you had enough of all the new discs?

When I first started I was trying everything I could get my hands on.

I would do tons of homework on discs/brands.
I would learn everything I could about a specific brand in that process.

When i gave up, I was going through Lat64's line up, and was very happy with the Saints as replacements for my Valks.

but then I started looking into MVP, and I thought to myself, " I don't want to go through this again, I like my Saints"
Plus, I told myself I don't have much "snap" so MVP wouldn't be any good for me anyway.
Next came along Prodigy, and i decided, I survived not doing the MVP thing, so I will survive not wading through all the Prodigy discs also.

Since then, my game has settled down, and I have lots of discs that work well for my style of play.
So why mess with it.

I'm at the point now where I lust over some newer plastic, but when it comes down to it, I pass and I keep my Avenger, Nuke, Buzzz SS, Comet, Meteor and Wizards in my bag. Now buying different weights to see how I can throw a 160g Avenger SS over my 174g Avenger SS is different, I'm still buying plastic for that purpose. I did switch over to Trilogy but that didn't last long at all before I pulled out of that skid.

I'm always looking but without buying everything. I've narrowed down what I like to basically the middle of the flight chart. I hate anything understable so that whole side of the chart is a non issue for me. They are unpredictable and fly horrible in the wind. On the other end I don't see anything kicking the Zone and Firebird out so I don't even try. As far as high speed overstable that seems interchangeable to me. I can throw an Xcal, Enforcer, X1, D1, ect. and get about the same result. I usually only own about two of those at a time and when they get lost or beat just buy two more of whatever feels good.

That leaves the stable stuff. I do try a lot of that out. Usually buy two or so to try. A lot of the time someone I play with has one and I'll just try theirs and can tell what it's about after a few throws. If it's better than anything I've thrown then I buy more and it gets bagged (which rarely happens) and if not they go up for trade and I end up with more backups of my throwers. I definitely have the "what if" syndrome. If I hear good things about a disc I have to try it. Just picked up 3 Outlaws and can't wait to try em. If I didn't try new things I would of never found the Thunderbird which has filled a huge spot in my bag and has been a birdie machine. Also Suspect/Truth has been better than other mids I've bagged. So I guess I always try new stuff but without breaking the bank and in the end have a streamlined collection.

I've long been over the excitement of new molds. For the past 10 years or so I've pretty much only bought back ups of discs I already throw. It's worked out pretty well so far. I did bag and end up buying a few thunderbirds though.

One of my favorite activities now when I hit shops is looking through the used/x-out racks, seems to be where I do most of my experimenting now.

Other than that, it's pretty much colors, plastics and weights of discs I know well.

One of my favorite activities now when I hit shops is looking through the used/x-out racks, seems to be where I do most of my experimenting now.

Other than that, it's pretty much colors, plastics and weights of discs I know well.

I share your sentiments, the x-out sections have the FAF stuff that I covet!

I left this thread and went straight to discgolfcenter.

Me too. Found that they don't make Wasp's in anything but Z plastic, was going to search for something else, but fought the urge and came crawling back.

I'm weak, but my intentions are good.

I stopped trying new discs less than a year into my foray with disc golf. I don't see the point.

I had a pretty stable bag for a while, but I've added a few new ones over the last year. Mako3, Roc3, TL3, and Thunderbird are all new additions. Before that it was the Tern and Yeti. But otherwise, it's still the old fashioned Wizard, Pig, Sidewinder, Leopard, TL, Destroyer. GStar plastic has started making a big push into my bag, however.

The first time I threw a prodigy disc, I knew I was sticking with my oldies but goodies. Straight trash is all this new stuff is.

Discs feel and fly vastly different from each other. Once you narrow down what you like trying out new molds is fun. I still have quite a few I'd like to try but mainly stay with my true faithfuls. Sometimes you do find a disc that just feels right and flies right, that's what keeps me trying out the newer stuff.

When I started tracking my dg spending over the past couple of years and realized that I have spent a small fortune on random dg equipment. Now, I just trade instead of buy.

When I started tracking my dg spending over the past couple of years and realized that I have spent a small fortune on random dg equipment. Now, I just trade instead of buy.

I have just started going down this route as well. Trying to dump off most of my failed experiments for backups of the discs I know I love.

I figure any new experiments I do will be coming from tourney funny money winnings this summer. And then trading / selling them off...

I've played with a bag of a handful of molds with backups, and many molds. I haven't really noticed a difference in my scores, if anything they've improved with the many molds bag. I really enjoy trying new releases.

Trying out new discs is part of the enjoyment of disc golf. That said I usually keep the same discs in my bag for fairly long stretches of time. I rarely get excited about a new disc unless it fills a particular role significantly better than what I am already throwing. Most new releases turn out to be minor variations on existing discs.

Major changes to the bag usually derive from changes in technique. Learning sidearm meant that all of my beaded mids and putters needed to be replaced, because I can never get a clean release with beaded discs. This led to a frenzy of disc testing, and eventually I completely changed all of my mids and putters. Learning not to strong-arm backhands allowed me to throw heavier discs, which opened up more disc options, which led to another frenzy of disc testing.

I have no preference between "latest and greatest" versus "tried and true", and no strong allegiance to any disc manufacturer. I just want a smallish bag of versatile discs that let me have the most fun on the course.

...when I had all my lines covered!

I went through a couple years of auditioning new discs for a slot in the bag. Some were harder to fill than others, but fortunately the folks that showed me the game (along with you all on DGCR) helped fill the void! :thmbup:

In the past few years, I haven't added any new molds to the bag...only tried out variations in different weights and plastic combinations.

Latest posts