• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When do you consider a course beaten?

Just so people have a better idea of where I am coming from the link below. This is a nearby course I always birdie every hole so IMO it is beaten and I move on to another course. I am not saying I feel I have beaten a very difficult course just because I am a few under par once in a while. I am talking anytime I play a certain course I can always birdie each hole. I agree there is always room for improvement but I find some courses to be outgrown by people eventually when they get there skill set down.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3313

So you never miss a putt there, ever? Pretty arrogant. If it weren't so humorous that you publicly announced your conquering of a 0.83 rated pitch & putt I might go on. I only hope you find a course worthy of your skill set my lordship.

Wow, people are so harsh.
lol.

I get what you're saying OP. There are a few courses that are beginner friendly around me that I know I can go to and birdie a lot of the holes. If I could birdie every hole, then I probably wouldn't play it as often because I'd be so bored of it.

I have played tommy and sue brown park enough times to know, no course is beatable. It's a 6 hole with the longest hole being around 200 ft. I've gone -16 in three rounds before but I've never aced out there.

If you beat a course I would think that you would need to ace every hole. If you are acing every hole then I would play every mini there.

The short courses really help your upshot game. I wouldn't ever quit playing a course like that. Try different lines to the bucket or play it backwards.

Courses aren't video games. You either want to come back and play again, or you don't.

I feel like I beat a course every time I notch a new personal best there. When I have birdied each hole of a course collectively over time, I feel I've beaten the course. You beter believe if I get a hole- in-one the course is my defiantly my bitch that day. These are all temporary wins though. If I ever birdied every hole on a course consecutively I'd quit playing it

Personally I would stop playing a course if I no longer had fun and/or if it was no longer a challenge. The Riverfront Park course that the OP is referring to might fall into that category.
I don't think of any course as "beatable".
Agreed.

OP, I sympathize with you. That course looks like it would get boring playing left handed with nothing but an assortment of Grooves that I had to pick at random from a giant bag of sadness (any bag with more than one Groove is a bag of sadness). Until I looked at the pictures and distances I was going to recommend turning it into a safari course, but there aren't' even enough obstacles to bother with that. Move on, although looking at the courses around where you're playing things look bleak within a short drive. On the other hand, you do have Lemon Lake less than 15 miles away, so you've got that going for ya! Either way, good luck.

To answer the question asked, when I can consistently shoot par from the short tees, I move back to the longs. As I don't have a course with two sets of tees that I can consistently shoot par from the long tees I'm not sure what I'll do then. Maybe start entering tournaments? I do know that there are a couple courses where I consistently shoot par from the only set of tees, and I tend to drive past them to get to more challenging courses now. Traveling is another story. I tend to solicit advice from locals. If they feel the shorts are a reasonable challenge, that is what gets played. Otherwise it's long tees all day if I'm only going to play a course once or twice.

So you never miss a putt there, ever? Pretty arrogant. If it weren't so humorous that you publicly announced your conquering of a 0.83 rated pitch & putt I might go on. I only hope you find a course worthy of your skill set my lordship.
Who lit the fuse on your tampon? The guy asked a question. Take it easy.:thmbup:

average length of 168' with no obstacles, I'd say that course beat itself.

For mostly open courses, there really isn't much to beat in. For more wooded courses, I consider them beaten if there has been decent foot traffic for about six months. Once the footpaths have become pretty well defined, the rough in common areas just off the fairways has been thinned out from players regularly throwing there, and some tweaking has been done to those iffy trees and branches that were left in during install to be on the safe side.

That's when I consider a course beaten.

To me, "beating" a course is relative to my skill. Meaning that how well I need to play to feel like I beat a course changes every year as I get better. There is no "I beat this course and therefore won't play it anymore", just "I feel like I whooped this courses ass today".

For instance, after throwing a -3 at Elver Pro tees I felt like I beat it. Last year my best was like +1. But my goal immediately became to throw a -5, so I wont' feel like I beat it again till that happens.

All depends on the course and the level of difficulty. My 'goal' on every course I play is par or better, but if the course is some easier course I expect better. Beating the course can be determined by how much I can avoid bogies. Bogies = course won that one, birdies = I won. At my local I've birdied just about every hole out there, but to do that all in one round is asking way too much, although it can be done.

Latest posts