• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When how often hyzer flip

wingit

Ok, been playing about year and a half 54 yo, throw most discs +- 300'. Question has to do with more and more my discs are starting to turn over probably combination of better arm and more beat disc, or little wind starts turning them much more than they used to. Discs i'm talking about would be Star sl, z flash, z surge and others. My question is does the hyzer flip become just part of more of your throws? Or do you just stsart going more and more overstable? Have just started using that shot and it does do some interesting things to the disc.
Thanks

Try new versions of the discs you already throw. If they still flip over on you, then yes, it's either time for more overstable plastic, heavier discs, or learning to hyzer-flip.

Hyzer flip whenever possible. It's actually more accurate than trying to throw a "straight" disc on a level plane. There's more room for error. It's harder for a disc to go past flat, to flipping over; than it is for a disc to start out on a slight anhyzer or flat, and keeps flipping over to where you don't want it to go.

JBowdown explained it really well to me a year or so back. Most pros throw hyzerflips for the majority of their shots.

If you get a new Star SL (max weight) and it's still turning way over, that sounds more like OAT. Either that, or your arm speed is increasing, but you're not getting the proper amount of spin on the disc. I noticed when I started getting better spin on my discs, some of them were flying straighter as opposed to turning over.

I throw 320'-330' and my somewhat beat Star SL flies very straight. The only discs I hyzer flip are understables ones (Kite, Stingray) that I don't want to fade much at the end. Sure, you can hyzer flip if you want, but not all of your discs should be turning over.

I've been working the past few months on throwing everything with hyzer (unless I absolutely need Anhyzer). And as stated above hyzer flipping is the easiest way to go straight and my game has improved a lot thanks to my new philosophy. A few degrees up or down when you're throwing hyzer is no big deal... A few degrees up or down when you're trying to throw perfectly flat can be a big deal.

I'm a RHBH player. I will intentionally hyzer flip putters, mids and drivers. For me it depends on the shape of the hole or line I'm trying to hit.

As far as distance driving and hyzer flipping. I'm just re-discovering it. I lost control of my 150g Valkyries and was flipping them into rollers... and into lost discs. I got away from flipping distance drivers almost totally for a while. I'd occasionally use a Dragon when I absolutely had to flip a disc. I still use it some, but really have to be careful to not over throw it (or bad form it).

I normally throw a 150g QOLF as my primary distance driver. I don't flip it. I've been maxing out at 325' with it for a couple years, but never gained any distance. So in the ongoing quest for distance, I recently purchased a Wahoo and absolutely love it. I know... many people have said that the plastic won't last. But it's a disc that I'll only throw when I need to go beyond 325'. It added an instant 40-50' to my drives. So it basically going to be used on open, grassy fairways, anyway. So I'm not too concerned about it breaking in to uselesness overninght.

I don't know if any of this helped. But hyzer flipping is a very important part of my game.

I put at least a touch of hyzer on almost every throw I make for reasons stated above.

I throw a hyzer flip whenever I can. The reasoning is this: if you are hyzer flipping and your hyzer is a few degrees off, the consequences are minimal (you probably won't even notice). If you're throwing flat and you're off the mark and veer even a few degrees into anhyzer, your throw can be ruined.

It could be the weather as well. When the winter months come the air gets colder and thus more dense. Discs are more unstable in the cold weather. At least they are for me. So I disc up in the winter. With Discraft ratings .5 acts like 0, 1.0 acts like .5 1.5 acts like 1.0 etc.

When you hyzer flip, you are allowing the disc to do more of the work for you, thereby making the job easier on yourself. This increases your allowable margin of error and your chances of a successful shot.

I disagree I think the hyzer flip is actually very unpredictable to dial in......it is more suitable for bigger distance in the open than for tunnel shots. I just never really got the infatuation with the shot for shots in the woods.

I know many will disagree but its easier for me to throw an appropriate speed disc flat than to overpower and hyzer flip something slower

I disagree I think the hyzer flip is actually very unpredictable to dial in......it is more suitable for bigger distance in the open than for tunnel shots. I just never really got the infatuation with the shot for shots in the woods.

I know many will disagree but its easier for me to throw an appropriate speed disc flat than to overpower and hyzer flip something slower

I like to hyzer flip on the tight, wooded holes because I can throw a River laser straight five feet off the ground and have it finish with minimal to no fade. I don't think you can do that as easily with a more stable disc thrown flat. I might be a me to accomplish it with my 7/10 Star Teebird, but I'd have to throw much harder.

In general, I find it easier to hyzer flip something slightly under stable. I don't feel I have to overpower it. Actually, it's easier to throw smoother for me and keep the nose down. To each their own, but the River on a hyzer flip was very useful for me on those tight tunnels and gaps at Brown Deer today.

My wood discs are all flippy and I throw hyzerflips on almost every one of them

x buzz
wizards (very beat in)
rocs
pro leopard
pro destroyer

To OP. I don't think those discs would normally turn and burn at the 300' range. Unless the wind is really in your face, you have a lot of OAT, or they are beat to heck. If they are that beat, hyzer flip the heck out of them.

A beat up surge is the best disc I've ever thrown. Yes, I have to hyzer flip it, but I can control it better than most discs.

I hyzer-flip when I'm throwing down the left side of the fairway, and throw flex shots throwing down the right side of the fairway. So that the tendency of the disc is to come back to the middle. I disc down for flips, and up for flexes.

Latest posts