• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When they won't let you throw a thumber....

Weird that he lists Rock Ridge Park as one of his favorite courses, when that's public but also doesn't have red tees, and is in fact still incredibly challenging from the whites. Not sure how to square that with his complaints about Ashe County here.

I would say even more telling is that he rated Kentwood 3.5 (.5 higher than Ashe, the top rated course in the state) and identified that fact that it is always crowded as proof that it is a good course. Fact is, it's always crowded because of the close proximity to NC State. Don't get me wrong, Kentwood is a fun little pitch and putt but it doesn't even compare to Ashe County.

Independence Lake has 3 tees (red, white, and blue) and I have never seen anyone play from a red tee, granted they are natural tees and the others are concrete. I'd consider no red tees a positive since it would keep away the more casual type players.

I can think of a fair number of courses with 3 tee pads:

Valley Springs, Cedar Rock, Rockness Monster (actually has 4), Sasquatch, Iron Hill (4), Tom Triplett (4) just to name a few. Granted they are not the majority but they are not that unusual.

You listed 4 in NC. Basically we can think of 5 courses out of approx. 250 in the Carolinas that have three tees pads. By his logic, 98% of courses are getting docked a point.

I like height mandos and was just talking about them with someone the other day.

We played Santa Cruz River Park on a trip, which has a few triple mandos created by placing a soccer goal frame about 40' or so in front of the tee to prevent any sort of high shot.

I thought for a mostly open desert course it was a great idea to break up the monotony of big hyzer, big hyzer, big hyzer, or to force a more controlled shot on a long hole (take away the giant max D flex shot).

You listed 4 in NC. Basically we can think of 5 courses out of approx. 250 in the Carolinas that have three tees pads. By his logic, 98% of courses are getting docked a point.

I can certainly come up with many more than that but I am at work and have to do some billable work. Triplett is in Savannah, does that not count as "Carolinas"?

I like height mandos and was just talking about them with someone the other day.

We played Santa Cruz River Park on a trip, which has a few triple mandos created by placing a soccer goal frame about 40' or so in front of the tee to prevent any sort of high shot.

I thought for a mostly open desert course it was a great idea to break up the monotony of big hyzer, big hyzer, big hyzer, or to force a more controlled shot on a long hole (take away the giant max D flex shot).

There is a "mouth of the Dragon" 4 way mando (complete with fangs) at Rockness Monster in Roxboro NC that is pretty fun.

Apex, Buckhorn (4 supposedly), Creekside, Leigh Farm (4), Wendell are 5 more in NC with 3 or more tee pads.

I am not supporting the reviewers logic. In fact the simple fact he rated Kentwood higher than Ashe county makes me fel justified ignoring anything he has to say.

I can certainly come up with many more than that but I am at work and have to do some billable work. Triplett is in Savannah, does that not count as "Carolinas"?

You could list 25 course (10%) or 50 (20%) and it doesn't change my point. Courses with 3 pads are the exception not the rule. And to discredit an overwhelming majority is an issue.

You could list 25 course (10%) or 50 (20%) and it doesn't change my point. Courses with 3 pads are the exception not the rule. And to discredit an overwhelming majority is an issue.

My original response was to your statement that you could only think of 1 course (Crooked Creek) with 3 tee pads in South Carolina. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

My point was there are a good number in the region. I agree they are the exception not the rule but saying there aren't any in the region is not accurate.

My original response was to your statement that you could only think of 1 course (Crooked Creek) with 3 tee pads in South Carolina. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

My point was there are a good number in the region. I agree they are the exception not the rule but saying there aren't any in the region is not accurate.

Never said there weren't any nor implied there weren't any..

Never said there weren't any nor implied there weren't any..

I quoted your post. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

That is pretty much saying they're aren't any don't you think?

I quoted your post. You said "Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind"

That is pretty much saying they're aren't any don't you think?

I've thought of another one - Johnson Street in High Point.

Then tomahawk?

Yeah i know some places and or tournaments don't allow it, it's annoying when you need to throw a utility shot.

As for someone who has fully mastered the thumber throw, and can unleash it's magic for all aspects of the game, there really is no reason to net a teepad or ban them in tournaments. An overhead net at a tee pad also negates rollers, spike hyzers, tomahawks, etc.

People who live close to courses will get balls or discs in their yards... get over it !!

As far as Mandos go, I'd like to see them put in a few stretched out across the ground for those 1000 foot holes the pros roll halfway through. Talk about a cheap shot !!!

I wonder how the review differs if it's simply a big branch (or a few branches) that obscured the "thumber" line instead of a net? Like would it even occur to the reviewer if it were a natural obstruction as opposed to an obvious man-made one? I mean, it's an easy argument to make that leaving branches in that line is as much a conscious design decision as putting up the net, but it probably doesn't get nearly the notice or the derision.

As long as there is no 2 meter rule in place it's not that much of a deterrent Good thumbers I've seen seem to crash down and kick less than other high shots taking a lot of risk away from that throw.

You just know there's some story there.. With some idiot who did this one thing, one time.

First they came for the thumbers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw thumbers.

Then they came for the rollers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw rollers.

Then they came for the jump-putts, and I did not speak out. Because I don't jump-putt.

Then they come for us non-stand and deliver folks and there was no one to speak for us.

First they came for the thumbers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw thumbers.

Then they came for the rollers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw rollers.

Then they came for the jump-putts, and I did not speak out. Because I don't jump-putt.

Then they come for us non-stand and deliver folks and there was no one to speak for us.

I really do hope they also come for the tomahawks in this dream scenario. . .

Martin Dewgarita once put a Temphole witha Quadruple Triple Mando on one of his DGCs...

Totally Thumbed my way to that Par anyways

With or without Net though, I docked his course 4 Discstars :p