• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When they won't let you throw a thumber....

Alright if it is a natural tunnel shot, which effectively is like multiple triple mandos ... but the artificial aspect of those mandos talked about here is just so unnatural. Unless they are for safety (but even if they are) they in the end are signs of ``bad'' course design or at least compromises. Sure, if you only have a plain flat field, you have few options apart from creating artificial obstacles (and more natural looking ones are usually expensive). But it's not the goal to completely avoid artificial influences. As every great artist knows, a seldom and carefully placed unnaturality sparkles like a rare gem. But in general, the better the course makes use of the natural situation, letting me compete with the natural situation and not with the course designer's shortcomings, the more I do like it.

How many courses have three sets of tee pads? I can think of one in South Carolina, just down the road from you - Crooked Creek. Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind.

Speaking as someone whose home course had 3 tee pads, I think this is a valid reason to dock a course a star. How do you differentiate between two great courses, one that just has Blue and White, and one that has Red, White and Blue? More choices are usually always better IMO. Maybe not a full start difference, but if the quality of the holes are the same, then the one with 3 has to be rated higher than the one with 2.

Speaking as someone whose home course had 3 tee pads, I think this is a valid reason to dock a course a star. How do you differentiate between two great courses, one that just has Blue and White, and one that has Red, White and Blue? More choices are usually always better IMO. Maybe not a full start difference, but if the quality of the holes are the same, then the one with 3 has to be rated higher than the one with 2.

you can only play one at a time and having more than one doesn't contribute anything to the playing experience as you do so.

I'm all for Triple tees... if they're done right.

Depends how well they're executed. I've seen examples where a 3rd set didn't really add value, or perhaps even made things worse.

Is there sufficient room for well spaced triple tees?

Is at least one of them providing a different look than the others, or just same shot from different distances?

Are they genuinely accommodating add'l skill levels?

Are they being shoehorned in just because they can be, or do they createlines/shots the other tees don't provide?

Does the cost of a 3rd set of tees mean sacrificing something else the course needs more than an add'l set of tees?

Ashe has a freakin' ton of variety. Even if done well, 3rd set of tees would only make it marginally better. What's already there does a damned good job of accommodating a wide range of skill levels.

Last edited:
How many courses have three sets of tee pads? I can think of one in South Carolina, just down the road from you - Crooked Creek. Other than that, there aren't any in the region that immediately come to mind.

Shipweack Cove in Erie State Park, New York is one that has 3 sets on all but one very short hole that they have let mud bury the white on that one. Course was easy enough for most holes that I played the Blue pads the first time through but red second to see what they were like except hole 12 as I missed that the first time through, was missing the tee marker and they had one of those red or blue round reflectors that come on pole as a replacement.

Last edited:

Depends how well they're executed. I've seen examples where a 3rd set didn't really add value, or perhaps even made things worse.

Is there sufficient room for well spaced triple tees?

Is at least one of them providing a different look than the others, or just same shot from different distances?

Are they genuinely accommodating add'l skill levels?

Are they being shoehorned in just because they can be, or do they createlines/shots the other tees don't provide?

Does the cost of a 3rd set of tees mean sacrificing something else the course needs more than an add'l set of tees?

Ashe has a freakin' ton of variety. Even if done well, 3rd set of tees would only make it marginally better. What's already there does a damned good job of accommodating a wide range of skill levels.

If Ashe had a third set of tees, the course would lose its character. On #9 & 18, to make those holes shorter, you would be throwing from the bottom of the hill. To make these holes more beginner/kid friendly, you're putting a tee, what, 150 feet from the basket and making two wide-open field holes? In addition, if someone needs easy layouts, they're probably not going to want to make a trek down the mountain, especially on #18. Does that mean holes #14 - 18 are eliminated? A red tee also shouldn't have a basket near water, so I guess #3, 6, and 7 need to be redesigned.

If you keep making accommodations to create an easier course, what you get is 18 baskets in the open field. How is that appealing to anyone?

I still don't understand how the short tees at Ashe are considered difficult. After #9 & 18, the next longest hole is 297 and it's downhill. According to DGCR, the SSE is 46.5. The 16 holes average 227 feet. If you include #9 & 18, the short course averages 266 feet per hole. How much shorter/easier do you want a course?

If Ashe had a third set of tees, the course would lose its character.
Not quite sure if you're making my point, or refuting my post.

Just so we're clear: I'm not advocating a 3rd tee at Ashe. Like I said, it already accomodates a pretty good range of players.

Not quite sure if you're making my point, or refuting my post.

Just so we're clear: I'm not advocating a 3rd tee at Ashe. Like I said, it already accomodates a pretty good range of players.

We're in agreement.

First they came for the thumbers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw thumbers.

Then they came for the rollers, and I did not speak out. Because I don't throw rollers.

Then they came for the jump-putts, and I did not speak out. Because I don't jump-putt.

Then they come for us non-stand and deliver folks and there was no one to speak for us.

I really do hope they also come for the tomahawks in this dream scenario. . .

And don't get me started on turbo putts. :D

Sure, I'm all for disc golf courses if they are done right.

Again, my home course, it is nice because it happens to have 3 concrete tee pads on each hole, and the course plays completely different from each set of pads. The Red course is different from the white, which is different from the blue. The angles change slightly, the distance of course, etc.

We also happen to play Red, White and Blue rounds quite often. (Hole 1 from red, 2 from white, 3 from blue, etc.) I'm actually running a tournament in a couple of weeks were we are playing 2 different R,W,B rounds.

The player gets to choose the difficulty of the course, unlike course that have 1 basket, 1 tee and multiple locations.

For what it is worth, last year I had a tournament where we played Red to Shorts in the first round. I happened to shoot even par 54, and it was 923 rated.

I can be a differentiator between courses.

There are dual teepaids---blue and white. He docked it because there aren't a third (red) set.
So he's mad about the tee color?

Because looking at the hole distances, there is a "red" set of tees. The short pads are under 5000' and all but two holes are under 300'. Unless these holes are uphill 50+° grades or hallway width wooded corridors, that is easily recreational level. The course designer just decided to color them white.

So he's mad about the tee color?

Because looking at the hole distances, there is a "red" set of tees. The short pads are under 5000' and all but two holes are under 300'. Unless these holes are uphill 50+° grades or hallway width wooded corridors, that is easily recreational level. The course designer just decided to color them white.

I think white is right. They have enough difficulty factors---obstacles, elevation, OB, low ceilings, etc.---to be better geared towards white-level players. But a course can suit a range of players, and these should be suitable for red-level players as well.

I'm not sure if the reviewer thinks every course should be geared for every skill level, or just for him (and other recreational players, I guess). Either way, I'm fine with it---reviews and ratings should reflect the opinions of reviewers, and if 2% of reviewers feel that way, the course's overall rating can be dinged by that slight amount. After all, it's an average. And it's not like he gave it an 0.5 out of spite.

Of my favorite courses, most have (or had) a single set of tees. They are designed or optimized for a particularly skill level, and playable by a wide range. Oddly enough, Ashe County (the subject here) is one of the exceptions, and one where the shorter tees are not just shorter, but a refreshingly different course.

In the meantime, I'm guessing the reviewer never played the blue tees; if he had, he'd have played one of the most overhand-favoring holes I've seen (#11) as a trade-off for the net on #16.

As for someone who has fully mastered the thumber throw, and can unleash it's magic for all aspects of the game, there really is no reason to net a teepad or ban them in tournaments. An overhead net at a tee pad also negates rollers, spike hyzers, tomahawks, etc.

People who live close to courses will get balls or discs in their yards... get over it !!

As far as Mandos go, I'd like to see them put in a few stretched out across the ground for those 1000 foot holes the pros roll halfway through. Talk about a cheap shot !!!

Gotta love this.

First breath: complains about throws being outlawed and how it's stupid

Second breath: says other throws should be outlawed

Man I love the internet

At the risk if being "that guy," I think we're paying too much attention to one review(er) that:

1) Really doesn't describe how the course plays.

2) Has a course rating that's 1.5 or so different from the average for the course.

Reviewer stated their rationale for the rating (however jacked up the rest of us think it is), and if you add in the 1.0 disc they deducted, their rating falls within 0.5 of the average of the other 56 ratings.

If you think a review is useful/not useful, vote that way. If something in the review moves you that much, PM the reviewer...there's even a button at the bottom of a review that makes it easy to do PM the reviewer.

I've PM'd many a review, with something along the lines of, "How about putting some meat on the bones and actually describing how the course plays?"

*hears sound of plywood cracking*
*quickly steps off of soap box before it collapses*

I just thought it was funny, myself. Particularly in light of the fact that he made such a big deal over the net, which isn't (as I understand it) an anti-overhand net so much as a necessity for that one particular hole.

Yeah, I hear ya Dave. Docking a rating by a full 1.0 on a scale of 1-5, for the reasons given, seems irrationally excessive.

The beauty of DGCR is also one of it's biggest shortcomings: anyone can post a review (even idiots like me) ...and they all count the same toward ratings. :\

*Recalls the BoSox winning the Word Series with "a bunch of idiots"*
*feels better about being an idiot*

Yeah, I hear ya Dave. Docking a rating by a full 1.0 on a scale of 1-5, for the reasons given, seems irrationally excessive.

The beauty of DGCR is also one of it's biggest shortcomings: anyone can post a review (even idiots like me) ...and they all count the same toward ratings. :\

*Recalls the BoSox winning the Word Series with "a bunch of idiots"*
*feels better about being an idiot*

Whatever makes you feel better about yourself. :D

Latest posts