• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When will ESPN cover Disc Golf?

im sick of watching mma all over the place. behind that, disc is the fastest growing sport in america- itll land soon, im a believer.. once budweiser, david seeds and a plethra of other companies realize what a cash crop disc is, itll explode

once budweiser, david seeds and a plethra of other companies realize what a cash crop disc is, itll explode

Since when is disc golf a cash crop? I think you meant "cash cow", but that wouldn't be accurate either. Double fail.

Many disc golfers bitch about spending money on anything. It's hilarious listening to people complain about ponying up $5 to play doubles.

FYI: Budweiser has been the title sponsor of a couple of our events in Arizona. I don't exactly think that demand for their product skyrocketed after that.

Last edited:
im sick of watching mma all over the place. behind that, disc is the fastest growing sport in america-
Ehh, I'd bet there are a lot of "fastest growing sports in america" that would dispute this. Been to a women's roller derby event lately? And unlike us some of those ARE getting 1,000+ spectators at their events.

I know its seemingly logical here that people on this forum assume everybody and anybody is finding their way to a disc golf course. You play disc golf, you talk disc golf, you spend inordinate amounts of time on disc golf related websites like this one, but there's a big, big world out there that has no interest in our passion, and does have interest in other passions, many of which are trying to supposedly "go mainstream" like we are. Some of which have much better chances to get on television that we do.

Ehh, I'd bet there are a lot of "fastest growing sports in america" that would dispute this. Been to a women's roller derby event lately? And unlike us some of those ARE getting 1,000+ spectators at their events.

I know its seemingly logical here that people on this forum assume everybody and anybody is finding their way to a disc golf course. You play disc golf, you talk disc golf, you spend inordinate amounts of time on disc golf related websites like this one, but there's a big, big world out there that has no interest in our passion, and does have interest in other passions, many of which are trying to supposedly "go mainstream" like we are. Some of which have much better chances to get on television that we do.

Like Ultimate Taser Ball!

Bounties for "taking out" players from another sponsored team...:rolleyes:

Funny thing is if the bounty for disc golfers to take out opponents were proportionant to the percentage of income the nfl players were getting as an "incentive", the bounty would only be about $5. ;)

im sick of watching mma all over the place. behind that, disc is the fastest growing sport in america- itll land soon, im a believer.. once budweiser, david seeds and a plethra of other companies realize what a cash crop disc is, itll explode

The thing with MMA is it is easily understood. An Eskimo would understand what's goin on the first time they watch it.

Wonder what it costs to get a spot on ESPN. If someone took all the sponsor cash and entry fees from an NT would it be enough to get on the air? Would sponsors and players shell out the cash for a chance to be on TV and hope it was a way into bigger money down the road?

Basically, usdgc cost & sponsors with no payout. Would they play? Would they pay $250 or more to play even if only the top 2 cards in the final round got air time.

Could you throw enough money at the lowest level televised Bolf tournament to keep the cameras around an extra day to properly film the top disc golfers playing on a temp course.

I still think a reality tv show is the way to bigger exposure of tournament disc golf. This could be done a lot of different ways.

I think it's somewhere between $30K-$50K to buy a 30-minute show on cable. Apparently that's what it costs for those fishing shows when someone looked into it.

I would think with all the crazy channels and shows out there, something related to Disc Golf could get on the air. I don't think the folks on Storage Wars or Shipping Wars are getting rich for being on those shows. A crew following a traveling disc golf players or players would offer interest to lots of people. Whether or not they knew the sport. Those shows are more about relationships than anything else.

I remember many moons ago I got ESPN2 to do a segment of Disc Golf in Massillon, Ohio for our Hall of Chains tournament. The one reporter was talking to Brent Hambrick (as I looked on a few feet away). Brent said he was going to throw a Thomahawk, have the disc bounce off the ground and flip up unto a fallen tree. The reported says... OK Michael Jordan lets see what you can do. Brent threw his shot just as he said he would and it did bounce off the ground and flip over and landed safely on the fallen tree (probally the greastest shot I've ever seen, called out). It was on ESPN2. They also interviewed Elaine King.

How did I get ESPN2 to come out and shoot our tournament, I paid for it. So all you talkers who own company's or have connections with people who have $$. We need you to get this on ESPN for all of us broke disc golfers to watch.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

A crew following a traveling disc golf players or players would offer interest to lots of people. Whether or not they knew the sport. Those shows are more about relationships than anything else.

Again I bring up Chains. This is exactly what Derek Hastings did. However the project is in limbo because no one wants to put up the money to help get it into production.

Again I bring up Chains. This is exactly what Derek Hastings did. However the project is in limbo because no one wants to put up the money to help get it into production.

I think the problem is, he wants to use footage and music that he can't afford. Disc Golf on Riplie's belive it or not and a Rage Against the Machine song. Possibly some other things like that.

Here's what we need. Argumentative Australian commentators. :clap:

"He's doing okay, he's doing alright."
"No, he's not Tony. Not doing well at all."

Isnt part of the problem with them raising the funds due to the licensing agreement for the music they want to use. It sounded like the money to use a Rage Against the Machine song was just huge. I would be interested in knowing how much they needed if they didnt use music that required a licensing agreement. Dont get me wrong I think it would be awsome if this movie went into production.

I play xbox a lot and there is an ESPN app on there where you can watch competitions whenever you want (live or replays). I don't see why they couldn't add disc golf to that. I mean they have archery, darts, canoeing, competitive eating and squash on there, why not add disc golf?

C. Television as we know it is going to be a very different animal by the time disc golf's numbers get to the point where some semblance of broadcasting becomes feasible. Why should we try to strive for something that is going to be a dinosaur by the time we get there.[/QUOTE]

I agree..........Something has got to break sooner or later, especially with these cable bills getting so ridiculous. That is a good point though