• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

When will ESPN cover Disc Golf?

Let's see if it deserves ESPN

Post this link on your facebook http://youtu.be/byK-KeSUSAo and say "this is why I play this game." The video is at 50,024 views, let's see where it is in about a week. I am guessing 50,060. I am going to click post as soon as I click submit on this site. Can you do it?

Im pretty young but i have worked for espn before (my work was on espn3 and because of the players not me it was featured as a top story on espn) The way i see it here is what would need to be done.

First The PDGA or a tournament would need money.
Second They would hire a company.
Third The company would buy a spot on a less popular channel or a high number espn.

As ratings grew it would make its way to more mainstream channels. Also commercial prices would rise and it would cost less for the PDGA to get on the air.

Just a point about the number of folks in the PDGA. As has been stated only about 15000 active players relative to roughly 55000 PDGA numbers issued. One thing that alot don't realize. You don't even have to be a person to get a PDGA number. I know several people have registered their dogs just to be cute. The numbers might even be less than we think because of this.

hopefully soon

You're in Pittsburgh, right? There's a great public access station in town where you could have a regular dose of DG on TV:

http://www.pctv21.org/#!welcome

There's some brief training required and a modest fee (I'd bet the local club would pay that) but otherwise, there's nothing stopping a motivated resident from adding some disc golf to the local station broadcast line-up. I can tell from their broadcast line-up that they accept material produced elsewhere, so Disc Golf Live video magazine would fit in nicely and help increase disc golf awareness and participation in the area.

Happy to get free program DVDs or downloads to someone in the area.

Joe

Pdga may have 15000 active members, but more than half the people I play with regularly have never registered. Im guessing a lot of causal golfers have never registered. Im assuming there would be a much bigger audience than 15000.

Just a point about the number of folks in the PDGA. As has been stated only about 15000 active players relative to roughly 55000 PDGA numbers issued. One thing that alot don't realize. You don't even have to be a person to get a PDGA number. I know several people have registered their dogs just to be cute. The numbers might even be less than we think because of this.

You probably have more people that get memberships for newborn kids that may never get into tournament disc golf and renew the membership or wives/girlfriends that play once and decided it isn't for them, then you do dogs with PDGA numbers. My 14 month old son is pdga # 49558.

Step 1: Fight growth, commercialization, and promotion of the sport
Step 2: Continue enjoying disc golf because I like it, not because it "won" the popularity contest

2 steps, it is just that easy...

When will we prospect?
We're fine right here! hoping for
commercialization fail

431706_10151349239215554_697470553_23016400_780346225_n.jpg

Much easier to film a hot dog eating contest. Costs the network less. Trying to film disc golf shots through the woods would be challenging. I am not really concerned with whether ESPN ever films DG. I don't need their approval to enjoy the game.

I see Bowling, Volleyball, Bassfishing, Billiards, Lumberjacking.... yet no Disc Golf?...how about just a mention of the World Championships in the rundown...nothing ever.... I just don't understand it. Today they had a record-setting paper airplane toss as a Top Play...I admit it was pretty cool but c'mon man!

Maybe if some one had a video of a great throw and sent it to ESPN they would put it in top 10 plays. Since there is no coverage on it they don't have footage.

When a certain illegal substance becomes legal.
(yes, I know it's an untrue stereotype...but I'm thinking sponsorship deals here.)

ESPN will air disc golf when they can make money by selling ads during DG coverage. That's the bottom line. If no one's watching, ESPN won't be able to get sponsors for the show. The Memorial live broadcast got about 1500 viewers at a time. That's not enough for a major network to want to put on the air.

Hey all, I have just produced episode 1 of discgolf.meTV a disc golf highlight show. Please check it out at www.discgolf.me and let me know what you think. I'd love to get your feedback (good and bad). My goal is to release show at least once a week so if you like it please forward the show to more people. I have some advertising on my site too. They are all companies that give a great deal on casual clothes, sports apparel and vitamins.