• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

Agreed with the sentiment of 'mecca' for disc golf being the place you want to make that once in a lifetime pilgrimage to visit. It would be nice to play all these courses, but the one you say to yourself, 'I'm not sure my (disc golf) life is going to feel complete, unless I make it once to..."
Oak Grove?
IDGC?
Flip City?
or...?

I'm pretty new to the sport and have realized that there is a solid dg following from MN to MI and IN to IA. Obviously the west coast has a lot of players and the south east as well. But where would you consider the disc golf "Mecca" or "Meccas" of the world?

So many variables to this question, some to most have already been mentioned in other posts, but lets throw out the mid-Minnesota perspective.

With a group of friends - Highbridge hands-down. Five difficult courses that are incredibly fun to play with a group of friends that are competitive enough to make you want to do well on incredibly difficult courses, but can have fun when those shots ultimately destroy your score. You will be greatly disappointed if you go alone and or immediately following the InfraSound concert, so it is more about the experiences with friends on what could be great courses.

A group of courses that has it all in terms challenges - Kalamazoo, especially Am Worlds layout. Minnesota lacks technical elevation. Kalamazoo has it in abundance.

Centralized big courses in an urban (and thus ease of transportation) setting - I really enjoyed the courses in and around Des Moines. Being from Minnesota, I would like to say east and south-east Twin Cities with courses like Lakewood, Kaposia, The Valley, and Oakwood, but the Des Moines courses, at least when I was last there, where in better shape, better spread out over their metro area, and for the most part more challenging. The Twin Cities would be rated higher if there were more permanent and more challenging courses in the western suburbs. We (as I used to live there until recently) have Bryant, Elm Creek, and HSSA for 18s, but all are seasonal and designed to be appealing to beginning players as they are run by the Three Rivers Park District. Crown is the only permanent one, and while a fun course, is not overly difficult and is still quite a drive to be considered a Twin Cities course. There are a ton of 9 to 12 hole courses in the western Suburbs, but they are often packed, in poor repair, and only have a handful of difficult or marquee holes.

Destinations for uniqueness and experiences - This one I am going to falter on because of my limited travels, but from pictures and stories from others, I have heard go things about the courses in Montana, Alaska, Hawaii, and Colorado. As for non-US locations, I have also heard great things about the courses in Sweden and Germany. I am sure there are great courses all over the world, but some of the pictures I have seen from these two countries are nothing short of breathtaking.

Having worked at HHSC for a summer - Highbridge in its prime form is without a doubt the mecca. You must visit. But if the courses are an utter mess - it'd be a heck of a slog and get on your nerves I'm sure.

Aside from that - I also loved visiting western Michigan's Mason County. I'm not as huge a fan of the so-called jewel of that area (Flip City) but the others in the region? Awesome.

I don't know that I'd call one specific course a Mecca.

The three places that are on my bucket list to visit/play are Milo McIver, Charlotte area, and Bohart Ranch.

I did not. Those maps represent how often a player would play, based on the number of courses and holes around. That's different than a destination.

I thought the heat map was based on the summation of course times rating divided by distance away for all nearby courses. Which might be similar to "number of courses and holes around". But including rating makes a huge difference. I'd consider this a measure of the density of quality courses nearby. i.e. a good destination to visit. Not a measure of how often a player would play. To assess that you'd have to factor in whether the course is snowed in half the year, the crowdedness of the course, cost, etc.

Agreed with the sentiment of 'mecca' for disc golf being the place you want to make that once in a lifetime pilgrimage to visit. It would be nice to play all these courses, but the one you say to yourself, 'I'm not sure my (disc golf) life is going to feel complete, unless I make it once to..."
Oak Grove?
IDGC?
Flip City?
or...?

I don't know that I'd call one specific course a Mecca.

The three places that are on my bucket list to visit/play are Milo McIver, Charlotte area, and Bohart Ranch.

I suppose each of us has our own Mecca or bucket list---most specifically, places we don't live, and have not lived. But it would have to include courses we've struck off our bucket list---that we visited once, cherish the memory, but probably won't make it back to.

A Disc Golf Mecca, in general, might be one that's on many golfer's bucket lists.

Not sure how you got Texas from that article??? Texas didn't rank in the 10 ten for any of the indicators. ;) ;)

Statistics are marvelous thing - right Steve.

Not sure how you got Texas from that article??? Texas didn't rank in the 10 ten for any of the indicators. ;) ;)

Statistics are marvelous thing - right Steve.

Well, not by per capital. I was going by total courses. But now that you bring it up, I guess criteria was never established.

For me, it's Maytag Park in Newton, Ia. It's an 18 hole course that is only 5 minutes from my house and I never get tired of it!:D

"As the birthplace of Muhammad and the site of Muhammad's first revelation of the Quran" This is why Mecca is the holiest city for the Muslim faith. So if we were to use Mecca as that and not "The best community for *insert topic here*", then it would have to be LA. This is not any homeboy bias as I am in the Bowling Green, KY area (which sports a very large DG community). If I were to pick somewhere to go and visit to play DG it would have to be Charlotte. There are just a ton of great courses to play all within a minimal travel time.

If I had a week to do nothing but play new courses I would go to Charlotte. If I had 2 days to do so i would go to Pittsburgh. If I had one day only i would probably go yet another place.

It's gotta be Charlotte. We've got all of the DGCR royalty here (mj20300, Mike C, Bravethrower43 and 1978).......no one can compete with that starting lineup of DGCR superstars.

#giggles

#micdrop

It's gotta be Charlotte. We've got all of the DGCR royalty here (mj20300, Mike C, Bravethrower43 and 1978).......no one can compete with that starting lineup of DGCR superstars.

#giggles

#micdrop

Seriously though...I just looked at a map of all the Charlotte area course...good grief there's a lot. Good ones too.

That's crazy talk. I've played about 80 courses and Moraine is the best IMO. That alone puts it on my map and makes it worth the drive. In fact 5 of the times I've visited Moraine I've played it 2 or 3 times then gone back home and was completely satisfied regardless of the 4 hours of driving it took.

Then add to that Deer Lakes, which easily makes my top 10, and its close enough to play in the same day. Knob Hill is a very fun course that could round out the evening for the ambitious early riser.

They're spread out but the quality is so high its worth it. If they weren't close enough to all play together in a day I'd be more inclined to agree, but its only 40 miles between two of the best courses in the area. Plus they all feature multiple tees and pins so they can play different over multiple visits.

Either way Charlotte is worth the visit. I'd come in early April or mid October if I were you, I think its nicest around those times.

Canker worms early April!!!!

Seriously though...I just looked at a map of all the Charlotte area course...good grief there's a lot. Good ones too.

Charlotte, as much as anything, has a quantity of quality.

It's debatable whether it has 5-star courses, but you can play 3.5-4.5s for a week without repeating yourself.

And along with that, a quantity of disc golfers, leagues, tournaments, big club, etc.

Whether that's your idea of a Mecca depends on your definition of that word.

Charlotte also has a quantity of trees. It might not be everyone's idea of a Mecca, for people who don't love woods golf.

Hey, if you make a road trip to Charlotte, make it long enough to come visit Stoney Hill. We're about 2 hours down the road. It's not anyone's Mecca, but it is my Shangri-La.