• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you consider the disc golf "Mecca."

LOL

Actually, after reading a few pages of this thread scarpfish is right...I wouldn't mind planning a DG roady out of state but this thread is absolutely no help.

-Dave

I'm not sure I agree, this thread seems to at least give you an idea of regions with tons of good courses, even if the people mentioning them are proud locals. This thread is reinforcing my urge to visit Charlotte someday. Tons of courses plus I need to go to Carowinds too.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and with all my PGH pride. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "mecca". Sure those are all AMAZING (at least DL and Moraine, haven't got to Knob), worthy of their ratings, but they are soooooooooo spread out. It's quite a drive from DL to Moraine, even more so from Knob to Moraine. The topography doesn't make it any easier

In my mind, I see "DG Mecca" being the place that is aside from our personal favorites. Its the course, city, state or area that those who follow the sport, play the sport, even on the touring pro level, can all agree that that is the area, region, course, etc, that stands alone as the best, most sought after place to go. The place that all fans and players of the sport would love to go spectate/play more than any other. A place that the locals of the area all know and love the game.

I don't know know where this place is though. I know my own personal mecca is western mass. There's 82 courses within 75 miles of me, 51 with 50 miles, and 26 courses within 25 miles. These include Maple Hill, the new 501 DGC (same creator as Maple), and Wickham Park to name a few. Travel a bit more north and you've got Smugglers Notch at Brewster Ridge. Granted some of these are tiny little rec parks with a few baskets, but its the presence of DG. However, to find the one true mecca, I think this question would be better suited to those who have played the countries top courses and visited some of the best DG cities. The touring pros.

It ain't in California. Pilgrimage elsewhere. Oak Grove is as crowded as it needs to be.
#shrinkthesport

On the weekends there is nearly a group on every other hole...

Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad for THE DG course.

Folks in wet Washington can wait for a group or two on every hole at my local course during peak periods (WRDGC).

How busy is Sylmar (Vet Pk.) these days?

Thanks. Doesn't seem too bad for THE DG course.

Folks in wet Washington can wait for a group or two on every hole at my local course during peak periods (WRDGC).

How busy is Sylmar (Vet Pk.) these days?

Yeah, I'm joking. I don't think there are many disc golfers in the big city.

Ah poor Sylmar...Most of the eucalyptus trees reached their lifespan or died from drought. I'm never backed up on that course. The locals are doing their best to plant (I've donated a tree), but it will be awhile before they are big enough to shape lines. Too many holes are wiiiide open.

...most of the eucalyptus trees reached their lifespan or died from drought...

When I moved to California (from Chicago) in 1974, the smell of eucalyptus was ingrained in my memory and is still my strongest recollection of the SF valley.

Sorry to hear about Sylmar. My brothers, friends and I played it often often back in the day.

I didn't read all 160 posts. Did Steve West chime in with any of his maps? Check them out on his site stevewestdiscgolf.com

I'm not sure I agree, this thread seems to at least give you an idea of regions with tons of good courses, even if the people mentioning them are proud locals. This thread is reinforcing my urge to visit Charlotte someday. Tons of courses plus I need to go to Carowinds too.

I grew up in Pittsburgh, and with all my PGH pride. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "mecca". Sure those are all AMAZING (at least DL and Moraine, haven't got to Knob), worthy of their ratings, but they are soooooooooo spread out. It's quite a drive from DL to Moraine, even more so from Knob to Moraine. The topography doesn't make it any easier

That's crazy talk. I've played about 80 courses and Moraine is the best IMO. That alone puts it on my map and makes it worth the drive. In fact 5 of the times I've visited Moraine I've played it 2 or 3 times then gone back home and was completely satisfied regardless of the 4 hours of driving it took.

Then add to that Deer Lakes, which easily makes my top 10, and its close enough to play in the same day. Knob Hill is a very fun course that could round out the evening for the ambitious early riser.

They're spread out but the quality is so high its worth it. If they weren't close enough to all play together in a day I'd be more inclined to agree, but its only 40 miles between two of the best courses in the area. Plus they all feature multiple tees and pins so they can play different over multiple visits.

Either way Charlotte is worth the visit. I'd come in early April or mid October if I were you, I think its nicest around those times.

I don't know about "Mecca" but here in Phoenix it's tough to drive 15 minutes in any direction without running into a course which is fine by me

That's crazy talk. I've played about 80 courses and Moraine is the best IMO. That alone puts it on my map and makes it worth the drive. In fact 5 of the times I've visited Moraine I've played it 2 or 3 times then gone back home and was completely satisfied regardless of the 4 hours of driving it took.

Then add to that Deer Lakes, which easily makes my top 10, and its close enough to play in the same day. Knob Hill is a very fun course that could round out the evening for the ambitious early riser.

They're spread out but the quality is so high its worth it. If they weren't close enough to all play together in a day I'd be more inclined to agree, but its only 40 miles between two of the best courses in the area. Plus they all feature multiple tees and pins so they can play different over multiple visits.

Either way Charlotte is worth the visit. I'd come in early April or mid October if I were you, I think its nicest around those times.

For sure - I guess my preconcieved notion of a mecca came up in my head as a place with like 20 4-5 star courses within an hour's drive.

I definitely see where you're coming from though. I moved away from PGH before I ever started playing dg, so if I lived there and played to the extent I do now, I may have had a different idea. Either way, I'm headed back down that way in July and I will be playing at least one of the two courses (Moraine and DL) again, and I'm super pumped about it.

Mecca usually implies a religious center. The closest places we have in our sport would perhaps be Oak Grove (original course) or Lakeport (Ed's development course) or now the IDGC with "relics" in the HOF museum surrounded by 3 nice courses.

I'm thinking the location of "Shangri-La" is more what we're debating than mecca?

Mecca usually implies a religious center. The closest places we have in our sport would perhaps be Oak Grove (original course) or Lakeport (Ed's development course) or now the IDGC with "relics" in the HOF museum surrounded by 3 nice courses.

I'm thinking the location of "Shangri-La" is more what we're debating than mecca?
More like Graceland.

I've thrown at a lot of Charlotte, a couple northern NC, Pittsburgh, a lot of WI, some of Nashville, and central VA, on top of the Cincy area where I live.

If I had to choose a place to throw for the rest of my life, it would be Highbridge Hills in WI.

I didn't read all 160 posts. Did Steve West chime in with any of his maps? Check them out on his site stevewestdiscgolf.com

I did not. Those maps represent how often a player would play, based on the number of courses and holes around. That's different than a destination. You would not make a special trip to the Minneapolis area to play all 222 courses. But, if you lived here, you might play one more round this year solely because a bunch of the people you just played Kaposia with want to go check out Garlough Park.

Minneapolis still should be on any short list as a destination because there are enough high quality courses to fill up a week. But, that's not exactly what the maps show.

True, though I was thinking of Mecca as slightly different---somewhere you must travel to at least once in a lifetime.

But not necessarily where you'd want to spend a lifetime. Or, perhaps, particularly not where you'd want to spend a lifetime.