• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where do you practice?

Soccer field if I want to throw a bunch of different discs. But like Sisyphus, most my practice comes at the local par three I manage to hit just about every day.

I'm not in it for exercise, so the extra walking has always been something I just had to do ... I don't have to pick up my discs at all now. Just throw them, walk to the other side, and start throwing them back. They end up close enough together I don't have to group them together before I start throwing.

That's cool, I can see where the cage would maximize your practice in the allotted time. At my age though, stopping my throwing briefly to pick up discs is welcome relief for my arm. Something about an hour or so of non-stop field work is more taxing for me than even several rounds of disc golf.

Curtis

Highschool track, football/baseball field down the street. I've made up a whole slew of "tees"/targets to practice to & from. When schools out I'm there every day, sometimes twice. When schools in(like now) I usually make it over after work to unwind from the day's stresses. I'm also lucky enough to have a big enough yard to put up a basket for which to practice putting/short approaches.

When I have time to practice, I go to one of two nearby schools that have a wide open field on the property to practice drives and any shots that I can't do in my own yard. I have two practice baskets in my back yard which is 90' long so I have all kinds of shots I can practice at home too. One of our local courses has a very nice practice area with two baskets on a hillside.

One of the local parks here have these big nets at the end of the soccer fields that keep the balls out of the parking lot. For a while I would practice throwing into the net, while working on my form, now I get 3/4 of the way in the soccer field to throw and I'm able to watch my disc flight and still use the net to catch my discs

I know a lot of people like football fields, or soccer fields, or pretty much anywhere else you can go have a nice wide-open space to chuck discs. Where do you go, and why do you go there?

I started out going to a football field mostly; the measurements already being there was nice. It's usually mowed (even in the off-season). Mine has concrete behind both end zones (a long jump runway and a high jump pad).

Recently, though, I discovered a net batting cage. It is AWESOME!!! 600+ throws in 2 hours; where else can you do that? It's a tunnel shot that doesn't wreck your discs if you miss. Decent footing everywhere ... just everything I ever wanted out of a practice spot. Other than being able to tell where your disc would have gone (how far, how much fade, etc.), but that doesn't matter that much, right?

Yeah I've been thinking it would be cool to get some kind of net to throw into.

I guess I didn't mention that I have 2 baskets in my yard; about 200' between the 2, and about 10' total elevation change. My main practice basket has 4-10' of fall from the high side to low side of the 10m circle. I like being able to practice moderately uphill and downhill putts.

I wish I had the yard space for this!

Sometimes I feel that being able to watch my discs fly distracts me, and actually harms my ability to concentrate on proper throwing mechanics. At the cage, I don't care, or even really know how far/hard I'm throwing; I do know if I'm throwing it the way I planned to, though

I agree, it's easily to tell when you've had a good throw and when youve had a bad throw. Where did you find the net, and how much was it?

It's the batting cage in the park in town. I looked up prices, and nice ones are between $300-1000. I did a rough estimate on lumber etc. to build a frame, and it seemed like $1500 would get you a nice 12'x14'x35' if you built it yourself. I was really lucky to have a net cage in town; it's was chain link until a year or two ago. There aren't any others around, but I'd think in an urban area you'd be able to find one fairly easily.

One of the local parks here have these big nets at the end of the soccer fields that keep the balls out of the parking lot. For a while I would practice throwing into the net, while working on my form, now I get 3/4 of the way in the soccer field to throw and I'm able to watch my disc flight and still use the net to catch my discs

I think that the lock hs has this. I'm going to check it out.

It's a challenge in NYC, but there is a large park right across the Hudson that is full of soccer games on the athletic fields, but has a large hilly area with the perfect amount of trees. Every course I play has a ton of elevation change, so it's great practice to work out on hills. I've worn tee pads all over the place there. I'd say the best practice "hole" I've found is to set yourself up about fifteen feet back from two trees that are fairly close together and make yourself throw between them at full power up a hill. That scenario used to totally psyche me out and I'd always throw it poorly. No longer. Oh, and your new discs beat in really quickly at first, haha.

Directly across the street from me there is a line of trees about 60 feet deep. And just beyond that 60 feet is a radio tower field and it is massive. You could fit an 18 hole ball golf course on this land. Anyway, I go out there with my basket and practice to my heart's content. It is pretty much zen no matter how you slice it. There are slight elevation changes so I can shoot downhill or uphill or I can just rip various discs and check out distance. Whatever I am working on really. It's pretty awesome. :p

A lot of people have mentioned the soccer fields, but no one has mentioned using the soccer goal net itself. That's pretty fun for practice as well.

my yard and on in to my neighbors yards because my yard no longer contains me

big field behind my house.....but lots of peds around so sometimes practice is cut short. or i bike to seneca.

I have a large church yard I use to bomb drives. Shorter range shots and putts are thrown in my own yard.

I practice in my backyard. Only problem is, I don't have a large open field. When winter comes I hope to find some of my lost discs.

attachment.php

Attachments

• mybackyard.jpg
    mybackyard.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 18
I usually go to the local soccer fields, but lately every time I go it's full with soccer teams. Don't they know I need to practice my form?!

I throw putters around the yard for practice. Between the back yard and front (and a little of the neighbor's yard) I can choose a variety of lines and elevations. The longest throw is about 220' uphill, with enough trees and bushes to make it interesting. I move the practice basket around to practice different lines.

My favorite practice throw involves hitting a gap between the house and a huge pin oak and then making a controlled turn downhill to land near the stop sign on the corner, with the road as OB. It's a fun shot forehand or backhand.

To practice with midranges or drivers I throw hyzers down the street, fading into the neighbor's front lawn. Fortunately all of my neighbors are pretty tolerant of (and, I suspect, entertained by) that fool throwing frisbees in the yard. ;)

A lot of people have mentioned the soccer fields, but no one has mentioned using the soccer goal net itself. That's pretty fun for practice as well.

I do use soccer goals as targets for long drives, but holes on those nets are usually way too big to keep discs in(just enough to keep the ball from going through) so I wouldn't recommend to use them as driving nets. Dunno if there's an official size for those holes tho.

I practice in a crowded mall.

But really though, how can you get a real feel for how a disc would have thrown if you throw into a net?

A net is not a replacement for field work, but a supplement to it. If you buy some new discs and want to get a feel for them, go to the field. If you want to work on your throw, a net may be the trick. I'm working on my left handed throws right now, and the net is perfect. I still have about 1/5 throws that aren't anywhere close to where I want them to go, and I'm trying to eliminate those. The cage I throw at has proper dimensions that the disc will hit the wrong wall/ceiling if I throw one that badly.

Just like there's no replacement for seeing a disc fly, there's no replacement for 300 throws/hour.

Also, with a little imagination and prediction, I have a good idea where my disc would have ended up.