• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where have all the DGCR members gone ?

I'm only here 'cuz DGR went away :D

I'll never understand people who get angsty that an online community isn't the biggest, most popular thing ever. Doubly so, when it's about a niche sport like disc golf. Do you want 49,000 randos talking on these forums? Do you want the added cost that would require the site owners to pass along to us, just to moderate them all?

Do you honestly care how many people are posting reviews of the same dozen courses near you, over and over? Why?

Yes, probably for the same reason that you advocate on this forum. People like being where the action and activity and energy are. That what they are posting matters and is being read. Otherwise why bother coming to an online community in the first place?

Many of you have been around here much longer than I have. Thanks for your community, humor, and wisdom!

I came here because reddit felt like an etch-a-sketch that gets shaken every day, and regardless of the smaller community size at DGCR, it seemed like there was evidence I would learn more quality & deeper information about form than anywhere else. It has taken some work, but that turned out to be a good gamble. I didn't care how big it was, and in some ways I trusted it more when I encountered some time-tested wisdom sprinkled in with a quirky mix of insanity and strong personalities. We practice where we play I guess.

I am a little disheartened if the place is dwindling since there is nothing else (yet) quite serving its role. So I'm hoping it can hang in its niche for a while yet. I'm definitely mindful that I need to scrap as much knowledge as I can from it just in case it goes *poof* one day.

I was curious and turned my adblocker off on desktop and don't see much that's annoying (yet). Ads did seem more noticeable on mobile.

PC's are dying out, DGCR is a much better PC site.

As far as the Forums, even I don't spend much time here. I sometimes look at the "Most recent" on the front page and if something catches my eye, I will click on it.

I do not want to see this site go away by any means. Still has a lot of positives, it is still the best site for course collectors to keep track of the courses we have played.

Although I know I need to make a spread sheet of them because I have this gut feeling this web sites days are numbered.

As far as content, there only needs to be a few of us in each area to keep this site up to date. I can tell you that 3 of the coures I counted in the last 2 weeks were NOT listed on UDisc. Honestly, I have tried to add courses to UDisc and am not a fan. I have tried to update courses on UDisc and it takes too long. Specially making maps of courses. I am attempting to play theses courses as fast as possible, I don't have time to map courses not mapped. And as a "play them all" guy I play a lot ofl smaller unpopular courses.

Anyways, I will always be around, I might not post in the forums much, but I will try to keep the database of courses as accurate as I can and will be uploading about 1000 pictures tonight from the last few weeks of course collecting.

I'm only here 'cuz DGR went away :D

I'll never understand people who get angsty that an online community isn't the biggest, most popular thing ever. Doubly so, when it's about a niche sport like disc golf. Do you want 49,000 randos talking on these forums? Do you want the added cost that would require the site owners to pass along to us, just to moderate them all?

Do you honestly care how many people are posting reviews of the same dozen courses near you, over and over? Why?

I wouldn't want 49k randos but I'd gladly go back to the days of internet forums with no moderation where people would get bullied into behaving and only spam would get removed.

Reddit is proof that "user" or paid moderation is a failed endeavor and the og message boards are proof that it's only necessary for spam.

The only feature mandatory for a good user experience in a message board style forum with no moderation is the ability to block by user keywords. That was how practical machinist, pirate4x4, ats, and thousands of other message boards used to operate and just those first 3 had millions of users and less than 10 admins between them.

I notice that states with "New", "North", "South", or "West" in their names aren't represented, either.

It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!
*shakes fist menacingly*

< is completely unconvincing menace

If there are good and recent reviews I probably won't bother. If the last review is a few years old or more, I'm likely to offer my .02 even if it is just to confirm the course status.

I like DGCR to find courses I want to play and read about them. I use UDisc for navigation and score keeping

I am a little disheartened if the place is dwindling since there is nothing else (yet) quite serving its role. So I'm hoping it can hang in its niche for a while yet. I'm definitely mindful that I need to scrap as much knowledge as I can from it just in case it goes *poof* one day.

I was curious and turned my adblocker off on desktop and don't see much that's annoying (yet). Ads did seem more noticeable on mobile.

Yeah I think we all are concerned, hence another thread about it haha. Anyone who's been around for a decade has seen the drop in activity. The worst place hit was the marketplace, it used to be pretty lively and awesome.

The core people are pretty great on the whole, the rando trolls don't usually last but there are a few OG's that will never give up until they are banned. Other than a few personal Wars and beefs I think if you stay out of the water cooler you are fine. I really feel like on the whole it is a very positive community.

Personally have only experienced the worst of the ad wall when rerouting through FB messenger. It just allows every piece of trash advertising as part of its platform.

Maybe they can take some ad revenue and advertise more.

Lastly Brychanus, stop wasting your time in "here" and get busy on compiling that backhand resource... I need help in a hurry. :D I'm looking very forward to it

Last edited:
I like it here. I hope it keeps going for a long time, all of the people I've meet are great and hardly anyone has been a **** to me in some time.

I'll not go to Reddit even if this place closes down.

It'd be nice if this place were more active, but what dgcr lacks in post quantity it makes up for in quality.

Might feel like a ghost town some days, but there are a ton of threads that are pages and pages long anyone can read through to get in depth analysis on discs, form, courses, etc.

I don't know of any other dg forum with the in depth disc reviews / impressions I see here. The form critique section is better than any other I've seen around these days.

And of course, browsing courses on dgcr gives you a wealth of information no other site can match.

I couldn't imagine disc golf without dgcr. I use the course browser so heavily any time I venture out of town in a different direction or take a vacation.

Hope the forum stays active. Reddit sucks for critical discussion, I won't do FB, and I didn't even know udisc had a social aspect because I've spent all of five minutes fiddling with it.

Last edited:
Reddit, bookface, udisc I think the "newer" communities have definitely taken out a chunk of traffic. Especially with push notifications.

We are all aging on an aging platform... so there is membership dwindle naturally but I don't think we have the influx of new members that we used to.

If you start googling weird questions like "ridge roller vs simian" or "the most stable ________" then many times people will be linked to "our" content so likely they stop in for a quick visit, that helps explain some quantity of guests. If they don't have a decent ad blocker they won't stick around. If they're younger they probably don't like the interface. If they were previously lurkers and not committed and got hit by the platform changes/ad wall they probably found other places to hang out.

Seriously you need to see what this looks like without a memebership/ad blocker. It's heinous

Dude, we gotta hang out sometime.

I haven't read all of the comments here, but IMHO, Reddit and Facebook don't provide the repository of information this forum has.

Both are very new-school and short term. With that comes good and bad. With the good - you can reach a huge audience within a very short period of time. With the bad - everything there has a 24 hour life-cycle, no matter what. You could be showing the greatest achievement if your life, and it's dead in 24 hours 99.9% of the time.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I still see value in message boards like this. Show me where on the Disc Golf Form Check Facebook group you can find scientific information on how the hips work. Show me where on Reddit's DiscGolfFormCheck where you can receive feedback from credible sources and get coaches over time. The answer is you can't, because it takes more than 5 minutes to understand, let alone assimilate into the throw.

The best advice I've received on those platforms is "your front foot is facing too forward", "you're running backwards", "you're rounding", and other value-less pieces of feedback, then the thread dies in the abyss. Anything that takes continuity and follow up is basically burned to the ground. Hence all of the "THIS ONE TRICK GOT ME 400 FEET" and out there.

This forum is a gem, and I'll die on that hill.

Last edited:
More examples of how this is partially a user issue. Here's what I've experienced:

- Been told that I'm claiming to be a victim when I've done no such thing.
- Had a PM recited in a public thread. I mean, its a PRIVATE MESSAGE for a reason.
- Been told that I am "behind the science."
- accused of being a Nazi - pretty sure that thread got deleted
- Had someone say, "That Dave guy, he can f*** right off." Fortunately, the mods deleted that one pretty quick.
- Called a pedo - again the mods were great in deleting those posts

I may tease people for believing the Earth is flat or poo poo smaller baskets but ultimately I'm not a mean guy but some of you are very intolerant of differing views. You want more users here then some of you need to start learning some tolerance and kindness.

- accused of being a Nazi - pretty sure that thread got deleted

You want more users here then some of you need to start learning some tolerance and kindness.

Hey, that was a fun thread, and it was the nursing mothers that were called Nazi's IIRC, not you...
Or maybe I missed one on your "called a Nazi notch" on your belt.

Wow, maybe y'all are right. What has DGCR become without such greatness...