• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where is your disc on your backswing?

zenbot

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Just curious. I shot some footage of my drive yesterday and found out that I have my disc much lower than I thought on the backswing. (Mid-belly. I thought it was on the same line as my chest.) I don't know if this is detrimental or not. What do you do?

From the Beato video and some of the other Discraft videos, I've seen that from nip-to-nip is the where you want the disc from start to finish. I'm really paranoid about airing a disc way up so I usually start at shoulder level and release about the nip level. But with 0.4 years of experience, I'm probably not the best resource. :(

Mid-belly is fine if you fixed your reverse-pivot. The low to high pull generates a lot of power when you get your weight forward over the disc and keeps the nose down.

Mid-belly is fine if you fixed your reverse-pivot. The low to high pull generates a lot of power when you get your weight forward over the disc and keeps the nose down.
I was working on that. I definitely could feel when I didn't shift my weight forward. I kept turning over discs that normally fly straight so I think there's already a little bit of progress. I just need to work it into my muscle memory.

I've seen people pull low and high, both with success so I would think that its best to not introduce one more thing to worry about and just pull naturally.

Watch Nikko's pull going low to high. I wouldn't worry much about it either, but you can play around with different pull angles and see how it works for you and do what feels the smoothest or gets the result you want.

It looks like a lot of the pros cock their wrists. I thought that was bad??? Maybe that's why I throw like a 6-year old girl. I try to keep mine straight. Now I'm confused. And isn't it hard to keep the nose down when pulling low to high? I would think the shot would just be a big loopy hyzer. Maybe with an understable disc it wouldn't matter, but with something with stability it sweems it would just do a big loop.

My disc is in my hand, duh. :D

It looks like a lot of the pros cock their wrists. I thought that was bad??? Maybe that's why I throw like a 6-year old girl. I try to keep mine straight. Now I'm confused. And isn't it hard to keep the nose down when pulling low to high? I would think the shot would just be a big loopy hyzer. Maybe with an understable disc it wouldn't matter, but with something with stability it sweems it would just do a big loop.

Low to high in relation to your body more than the ground with your weight shifting forward.

I don't see any pros cocking their wrist. It might look that way as the elbow slows going into the hit and the disc's forward momentum is pushing into the arm(not cocking). The Bradley Walker snap video illustrates this well:

try starting off with your wrist straight but when you go to reach back and start to pull just keep your wrist relaxed and allow it move fluidly. You might be denying yourself distance by being to tight and adding resistance to the throw. just a thought.

The key to the low to high pull is getting your weight forward over the disc and it keeps the nose down. It is also relative to your body position so with your weight forward its more like a straight line rather than the disc moving low to high. The low to high pull can be used on an annie like Nikko's flex shot with an overstable disc. Its easier to do a low to high pull with an understable disc and hyzer flip it.

The key to the low to high pull is getting your weight forward over the disc and it keeps the nose down. It is also relative to your body position so with your weight forward its more like a straight line rather than the disc moving low to high. The low to high pull can be used on an annie like Nikko's flex shot with an overstable disc. Its easier to do a low to high pull with an understable disc and hyzer flip it.

Well said! After a bunch of bad advice I used to try going nip to nip and it mostly got me shoulder pain.

try starting off with your wrist straight but when you go to reach back and start to pull just keep your wrist relaxed and allow it move fluidly. You might be denying yourself distance by being to tight and adding resistance to the throw. just a thought.
That seems tough to keep a tight grip yet have a loose wrist.

Just curious. I shot some footage of my drive yesterday and found out that I have my disc much lower than I thought on the backswing. (Mid-belly. I thought it was on the same line as my chest.) I don't know if this is detrimental or not. What do you do?

Feldberg has a really low release point.
Watch some video footage.
He does okay with it.

Latest posts