• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Where to go south for a great course.

Nick Stewart

I am from Michigan where we have Epic Disc golf courses. Winter however makes play a little... shall we say.. less comfortable. I am looking for a warm destination with some great Courses. Any suggestions?

I live in Charlotte, and the courses here are pretty sweet. Winter here isn't quite as warm as Florida, but I would bet it's a good bit warmer than Michigan.

South is a big range. You will get answers from Southern California to Austin, Texas to Charlotte, NC to all over Florida. Can you narrow the range a bit?

DFW and Austin are great winter disc golf destinations. Plenty of great courses to play. Dallas is also just over an hour away from Talco, home of the epic disc golf destination Selah Ranch.

Tampa/Clearwater Florida!

I am actually from Wisconsin and went there last January and will be going back on the 15th of this January as well. We had a awesome weather for 3 days and even played in pouring rain one day, but it didnt bother us because the temp was just right. Played Bill Fredrick Park- T2 The Turkeynator, Turkey Lake, Cliff Stephens Park, and Pine Oaks (an ex ball golf course where they rent golf carts). Also played a couple others but cant figure out which they were due to excessive drinking haha!

When do you plan on taking this trip?

I've done all three of the above mentioned trips. Texas twice, Charlotte four times, and Florida once. Florida is a long ways away and is a huge state (from north to south; like Illinois). We didn't get much farther south than the Clearwater area; but there is good disc there and on the way (Huntsville, Alabama having a nice group, for instance). One trip also played down the western coast of Illinois to St. Louis. South in the winter is a good thing! I've begun my late winter trip planning today also and always get excited this time of year....

*I do need to get outside an shovel though....* :( :)

Last edited:
DFW has like 40 courses. Maybe more. Idk. And Selah Ranch is supposed to be epic? I haven't played there yet.

Last winter I went to Cedar Hills in Nashville to get away from winter. It was 55 there that day. It's a 5 hour drive. There before noon, two rounds of golf and drive back.

Nashville is under rated. There is probably half a dozen very nice courses in the area, with another handful of average or decent ones too. Good option for a MI guy. Charlotte is always good too, a d then you could day trip to IDGC.

Phoenix! We have some very good quality courses in the Valley!

And it's 65 degrees and sunny right now for mostly all of "winter"!

Unless you're willing to make the long long trip to Arizona or Southern Cal, there are probably 3 areas to consider:

---Texas, DFW and/or Austin, by reputation since I haven't been there.
---The Carolinas, specifically Charlotte to Augusta, GA.
---Central Florida, specifically Orlando to Clearwater. The courses might not be quite as good but if you really want to bask in warm weather, Florida in winter is the ticket.

There are other good choices but I'd suggest looking at these 3, and then picking up a course or two along the route.

The winner is Austin. We have no winter here. Stop by Selah and Shawshank on your way down and it will be an unforgettable trip.

Note that if you're driving, depending on what part of Michigan you're in, Austin can be twice as far as Charlotte/Augusta. Probably even further than Florida.

If you're flying, decide whether you want the best courses, or the best weather.

I've done all three of the above mentioned trips. Texas twice, Charlotte four times, and Florida once. Florida is a long ways away and is a huge state (from north to south; like Illinois). We didn't get much farther south than the Clearwater area; but there is good disc there and on the way (Huntsville, Alabama having a nice group, for instance). One trip also played down the western coast of Illinois to St. Louis. South in the winter is a good thing! I've begun my late winter trip planning today also and always get excited this time of year....

*I do need to get outside an shovel though....* :( :)

-the fact that you have made the trip from WI to play in Charlotte four times says alot! ( unless you have family to stay with or something ) It was 50 degrees and sunny today, and if you wait another couple months we will have three more courses open for play. ( SPCC, Cornelius Rd. Park, & Stallings)

Last edited:

Latest posts