• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which basket do you prefer??

MisoHorny57

Par Member
Ive been looking at getting my own practice basket. Have any of you tried out the discatcher traveler or discatcher skillshot. and ive also been looking at the mach lite. any thoughts on any of these would be greatle appreciated

I think I'm going to get one for Christmas this year and I tell you what I decided on....

Mach lite.

Mach Lite has universally great reviews. Sure, all have good reviews but all the Mach Lite ones are great.

What it really boils down to is this... the Mach Lite looks and feels like a real basket. Why is this important? Because you should train like you play and play like you train.

Think of this. Airlines practice LOFT (Line Orientated Flight Training). They train in simulators exactly how they would fly a normal flight. Heck, they even wear their uniforms. All the checklists are the same and all the procedures are the same. It has been found that if you separate the training from a normal routine, the student brain really doesn't make the connection that the training exercise can happen in every day life.

I'm sure they are all good and they all can be used as a training tool. For my choice (of the truly portable "baskets), the Mach Lite is the one for me.

My two pennies.

Depends on what you want to spend, and HOW portable, although any of them can be portable pretty easy. I chose an Instep just because I just wanted it to get the job done at a good value but I would rate the Mach Lite and Skillshot pretty close 2nd, just a little more than the Instep, the M14 is pretty cheap so pretty close that way and then, its early and I am trying to think of the name but for a little more money than those,I think it was the DB 5 which is abou as close as they come to a real basket.

I'll try to look it up at work later.

If you've got the $$$ I'd buy a Mach Lite. They just rock. In every way shape and form.

If you don't....

Just buy the F'ing InStep. It works great, it's cheap, and there really aren't that many downsides. If you want it to catch better add some chains. Personally I like it not catching as much stuff, makes the ones on the course seem super grabby!

\/\/

I have a mach lite, and I'm asking for another for christmas this year. I absolutely love it, and have tried just about every type of portable basket without finding one I like more for feeling like a real basket while still being very portable and easy to set up and tear down.

I was just thinking, the thing with baskets is, you are probably safe if you just get the one you like for the most you can afford and if you dont need anything fancy, the Instep does the job great at a good price.

It would probably be easier to say what baskets to stay away from but the Instep, Mach lite and M14 are all solid and I am sure most the more expensive ones are as well.

I have all kinds - Traveler, Discatcher Sport, Skillshot, and one of those Instep. I like my Disctacher sport (18 chains, all metal) best of the cheaper portables, but the Skillshot is probably overall best with the folding design. And from what I hear, the Mach Lite is even better for just a few bucks more.

I would NOT go with the Innova Traveler. :thmbdown: Sure it folds up great and is super light and portable, but it is not at all realistic. It makes a great target to practice drives and to create lines at the local park, but it does not do the job when it comes to catching. This is a horrible target to practice putting with. The "basket" portion is too large and oddly shaped, there are only 6 chains in a very narrow pocket, and the top of the basket is not realistic at all. You can even slip discs right through the top if they land near the flag. I have one and really only use it to practice drives and lines. Next time I will spend the $$$ and get something to practice putting with...after all that is where the $$$ is made back on the course.

What do you want to do with your basket? Are you going to take it places? Do you need portability? How important is ease of setup? Durability?

For a basket to take with me and use when I'm not home or at a course, I really love my Innova Discatcher Traveller. It's as easy to setup, take down and move as one of those new x-folding camp chairs and comes with a nice bag for it. The downside is if you're looking to have something always set up in your yard it's not the choice for you, they weren't made to use as a permanent backyard basket since they're made of fabric. I put mine in the garage while not in use. No biggie for me. When I'm at my dad's cabin in Florida, I bring my basket so I can play and get some practice in.

don't get a cloth basket if you want to use it very much. discatcher sport is my favorite of the bunch. skilshot is too low, doesn't hold hard putts well and teaches poor putting habits if you practice on it regularly imo.

I have not used any of the other baskets mentioned, other than the discatcher sport and traveller.
I am very pleased w/ the sport baskets I have.

My experience is with Discatcher Sport, M-14, Tri-State (ugh), Skillshot, & Traveler.

As others have said, it all depends on how you're going to use it.

If you're talking about a putting practice basket for your yard, to be left out or hauled a short distance, I like the Sport. Add extra chains, and you've almost got a regular basket. Though if you're leaving it out, among mine the M-14s weathered better than the Sports, which have rusted in places.

If you're throwing it in your car to haul down to a local park, it's a different story. Personally, I like the Traveler just because of the net. Dead-on, center-chain putts stay in instead of cutting through. The target area is smaller than normal baskets, so it improves your aim. The odd square basket doesn't matter to me, because I'm not aiming for it anyway. And I'm trying to improve, not score. But you can't leave it out, and it will topple in high winds since it's so light.

I have a DISCatcher Sport, I love it. It is a hassle to pull apart if you want to take it somewhere, but I think it is one of the better and cheaper portable baskets.

Here's a question I have about the Innova Traveler that I've never seen asked. Is it quieter than other baskets? It looks like it would be. I'm mainly wondering if its quieter than the Mach Lite, since those are the two I've narrowed it down to.

The reason I ask is that I'll usually be setting it up on the lawn of our apartment complex, fairly close to other peoples back doors and open windows. Now, I love the sound of a disc hitting chains, but I would prefer not to annoy all of my neighbors too much if it can be avoided.

I'm considering putting some foam pipe insulation on mine so it's quieter in the basement.

foam-pipe-insulation1.jpg

Here's a question I have about the Innova Traveler that I've never seen asked. Is it quieter than other baskets? It looks like it would be. I'm mainly wondering if its quieter than the Mach Lite, since those are the two I've narrowed it down to.

The reason I ask is that I'll usually be setting it up on the lawn of our apartment complex, fairly close to other peoples back doors and open windows. Now, I love the sound of a disc hitting chains, but I would prefer not to annoy all of my neighbors too much if it can be avoided.

Yes, very quiet.
Your neighbors won't hear it at all, unless there very close.

I like the mach lite compared to the skillshot and travel. though the traveler is quiet but i woul still get the mach lite because it gives you a good felling when you hit the chains and it folds up easily

Personally, I like the Traveler just because of the net. Dead-on, center-chain putts stay in instead of cutting through. The target area is smaller than normal baskets, so it improves your aim. The odd square basket doesn't matter to me, because I'm not aiming for it anyway. And I'm trying to improve, not score. But you can't leave it out, and it will topple in high winds since it's so light.

Agreed. The smaller target area has really improved my putting. The basket also handles harder hits when practicing drives and approaches. I have the newer version of this one, which is pentagon shaped, instead of square. For a fold up fabric basket, I think it does a fantastic job of simulating course baskets.

David

The Skill Shot is a nice basket, but inless you add extra chains, you will have lots of blow outs. It sets up and comes down in 30 seconds.

Latest posts