• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Driver Should I use?

KC Red

I read through the post on the Technique board about using the right disc to match your power. I am a female player and relatively new to the game. I seem to be able to only drive around 100' and wonder if maybe my disc choice has to do with it or do I just need to keep playing to improve skill.

I am just going to give a rundown of what is in my bag and we can go from there? (most of these were given to me)

Discraft XS Elite Z 169: Haven't thrown this yet... just got it
Tee Bird 148
Tee Bird 146
Cheetah 175 X 2
Discraft Stratus (Came with my PDGA Membership)
Star Tee Bird 150
Starfire 171
Aviar Putter166
Aviar Putter 172
Shark 173
Shark 147
Buzz (unknown weight)

So far I have the best luck with the Cheetah. I have an old beat up one that was given to me and I can get it to go further than one that is new.

I am still having issues with releasing the disk so that it flies flat and straight. Sometimes I think I'm making an ass of myself.

I guess it's hard to diagnose my issues because I'm not sure what my problem is. Maybe I'll try and video tape myself.

I started playing for exercise... I need to drop about 50 pounds... But I really enjoy the game and would like to get better.

For just getting started, I would think the Stratus would be your best bet for distance.
Once you start pulling it, it's OK. You can keep using it for slow speed and turnover shots.

The Shark is also a great mid. Stable enough for snap, but slow enough to putt and upshot with into moderate winds.

You will throw the Buzzz for years...

Last edited:
For newer players I would recommend lighter discs. The Starfire you have I would stay away from for a while, it's going to be a little too much disc for your power level at this point. I would think of the discs you listed the light Teebirds and the Cheetah should work well and the mid range and putter stuff is perfect to practice your form with as well. Don't worry about throwing far, worry about form and keeping the disc in the fairway and when the distance comes you will be able to control it. Don't forget to have fun! :)

The Stratus is probably the most beginner-friendly disc I've come across. The Cheetah's good too, but I think you may be able to get a bit more distance out of the Stratus because it doesn't require as much speed.

lighter discs are good, my gf liked a leopard when she started out

I would pull all the 170+ discs out of your bag for now. As your form improves, they may be of use. The cheetah is working because it is beat in and very understable, meaning it glides really well and will stay "up" for you.

The lighter shark is a good disc to learn to throw straight. The Teebird may be a bit much at first, but is definately a good disc to have. It may tend to dive off to the left now(assuming you are throwing backhand with your right hand) but as your technique improves, this will become a very reliable straight driver for you.

See how that works for you. The Technique section is a great resource and there are alot of videos on youtube that can help you develop.

Most of all, have fun with this sport. It's a great way to get outside, throw discs, and enjoy the road to improvement.

Last edited:
The am women I played with a week or two ago seemed to favor 150 class understable discs. They both had Leopard and Valkyrie.

I would think that the cheetah, one of your teebirds, whichever feels better to you of the stratus and shark, and whichever aviar works best for you. That's almost exactly what my gf started with, just tick with them and don't worry about getting more discs.

Use the 147 Shark, the 172 Aviar, the Stratus (this eventually will be your anny disc), and nothing wrong with the Cheetah you like and stick with them. Once you start getting to 200'-250' (dont worry, it will just eventually come quicker than you think) grab one of those ~150 Teebirds.

My fiance was in your spot and not really much further and all she throws is a Leopard, which is just slightly less stable than your Cheetah. She is starting to get it out to 200'+ now just from playing since July this year. I would suggest a 150 one but your beat Cheetah should be somewhat close. Maybe I will say consider it.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, the Teebirds tend to go way left for me. The new Cheetah I have also goes left. The beat-up cheetah disc is the one I use when there is a straight/Narrow drive.

My wife has best success with DX Teebird in 150 class also loves her Pro-D Buzzz in 160's.

Keep throwing your beat up Cheetah, good disc to learn the basics with. You might also have some luck with the lighter teebirds. Work on throwing your mid ranges (shark, aviar, stratus) as far as you can -- it will translate into throwing your drivers further eventually.

Just work on getting your shots flat and straight, the distance will come. Watch some videos on youtube and try to mimic their form and technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iff8S0Q-DAY this is my favorite.

Yeah, I'd drop most of those drivers, keep only one of the ones that you can't keep from going hard left (they do have their uses) and concentrate throwing your midranges and putters. I would definitely add an Impact and a good driving putter like a Wizard to tinker around with. You'll get there, we all sucked when we started. DG is good exercise, I lost 40 lbs in college and DG kept it off some how.

try some forehand throws!

This is going to sound sexist, but it actually comes from my girlfriend. She says that for whatever reason, every girl she's played with struggles way more with forehand than backhand and has a really hard time getting any distance or control

This is going to sound sexist, but it actually comes from my girlfriend. She says that for whatever reason, every girl she's played with struggles way more with forehand than backhand and has a really hard time getting any distance or control

ok, just adding what has worked for my girlfriend... she does better with forehand by far

Latest posts