• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which Famous Athlete would Dominate Disc Golf?

Additionally, how many free throws do you think super-athletic wilt chamberlain, dwight howard, and ben wallace have take in their lifetimes? Yet they still can't make half of them. Wouldn't you rather have the much smaller/weaker Steph Curry putting for your double team?

Or middle aged and out of shape Walter Ray Williams Jr. (Hall of Fame: Bowling and Horseshoes)

Of course any sport or activity would get much more competitive if every athletic young person devoted themselves to it. So your point is very valid. But I would disagree that to say because Megatron is large, strong and can catch extremely well that he would be on top of the DG heap if he wanted to be. Would he also be the best placekicker, QB, or RB?

Consider that a giant sample size of young athletes play Baseball, Football, Soccer, Golf, and Basketball. And yet very few of them make their Varsity team. Even fewer make it to College, even fewer a starter at a D1 School, even fewer to the professional level. And even after all of that whittling down, there are standout all-stars in the pros.

So who would be the stand out all stars in DG? Megatron may be my top pick for WR, but would he be for DG? Probably not.

Sidenote: Don't discount the athleticism of guys like McBeth, Lizotte and Wysocki. Not every great MLB pitcher is randy johnson sized.

Idk man. I get what you are saying...but he may be one of the best athletes to ever play sport. Dude was 6' 5" with a 6' 11" wingspan. So he has the gorilla index going for him. Ran a 4.35 40 yard dash so he has ample leg power. Has the mental focus to go up and catch Staffords crappy passes without taking a career ending injury. And on top of that add complete body control and awareness...so yeah I think he could learn the form no problem.

I am not saying McBeth, Lizotte, Wysocki are not athletic...I am just saying that if there were any money to be made to pull people like Megatron into the sport...I don't think they would compete. I argued the other side of this one with my friends but I think I have come full circle. With the exception of McBeth and maybe MJ I don't think there is a pro on tour that could hold a candle to the focus that it would take...like you said...to get to the pros. They are the best of the best and would come in more athletic, with better training, and a hyperfocus not in the sport...that is why I think any pro athlete would crush the tour.

But that is just like....my opinion man. And I def see the otherside, I have just been converted haha.

You could certainly do worse than to have Calvin Johnson to mold into your player.

However, within his own sport I would rather have Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, Cam Newton, or Tom Brady (Who is notoriously not quick). A lifetime of proving they are good at throwing things in pressure situations is a better bet in my book.

I def agree with you. The argument I was trying to make...or I guess answer to the OP. Was that any of the Major Sports (Basketball, Baseball, Football, Soccer, Hockey) Professional Athletes would prob dominate the tour.

Especially the "Famous" athletes. To get there they have already filtered through at least 4 levels, and than to become famous means you excel at your sport literally making you the best, of the best, of the best, of the best, of the best. For our sport right now that is Paul McBeth. Just compare him to the top athlete of any major sport...there is no comparison.

Ben Hogan, he was a lefty golfer who played right handed like me.

I had no trouble picking up the disc swing because it so resembled the golf swing. Ben Hogan had one of the most fluid swing in golf ever and a great player of the game.

Hitting golf balls and playing golf are two different things in a sense, same in disc golf.

Yeah, because all top athletes are smooth:

In fairness he was smooth as silk when he played basketball. This is WELL after he was a top athlete. Idk how fair that is lol. When he was in his prime I am sure he could have dominated discgolf if he put his resources to it.

That Barkley's a real card. Here is a much better recent swing, and if he actually cared you know he'd improve on this even more.

I bet on Dirk Nowitski way before Barkley in his prime, much better shooter/scorer.

Disc golf would've made a fun "Shaq Versus" episode a few years ago. They did do an episode of Shaq vs. Barkley in golf.

I would think it would be a quarterback or a pitcher. In his day, maybe Nolan Ryan.