• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which Innova disc sucks the most?

To your first point, they market them well enough, because they seem to be moving. All of you seem to have bought one! :p

The second point, my buddy took 3 months to learn his Groove, then SNAP, he had it! Rocks 400 foot like its nothing now, and S curve almost every time. Its a subtle "up down up thrust of the wrist"

This thread is silly since Distance, Fairway, Approach/Mid, and Putter each has their own WORST disc, yet it seems that most of the Approach discs are simply useless for anything but a thumber or lake throw. And I know plenty of extremely amateur players that throw birdie or aviars ONLY, one disc the whole course, and score within a few strokes of me

Yeah, have fun with all that.

I played a couple of rounds with a guy in Odessa, TX that could bomb his Groove. I was amazed... not just by the length and accuracy of the throws, but the fact he used a Groove to do it...

What is it about the Groove that makes it bad ? I cant throw mine because of my noodle arm, but hopefully if I ever get more power I might get it to fly. I do use it for some low FH shots. And I just got a sonic, its a great putter, lowered my score the first day I used it, (just dont throw in windy conditions) its great for short anhyzer turns also. I'm gonna get a heavy one and see if it helps with the wind problem so I wont have to carry my backup avair.

What is it about the Groove that makes it bad ? I cant throw mine because of my noodle arm, but hopefully if I ever get more power I might get it to fly. I do use it for some low FH shots. And I just got a sonic, its a great putter, lowered my score the first day I used it, (just dont throw in windy conditions) its great for short anhyzer turns also. I'm gonna get a heavy one and see if it helps with the wind problem so I wont have to carry my backup avair.

I think mostly it is just buyer's remorse. I remember how over-hyped the Groove was and the testers lucky enough to get a pre-production trial disc were hyping about how fast and full of glide it was. A lot of people were disappointed by the Boss's stability, how it was too much disc for people who could not break 350 feet. Supposedly the Groove was going to fix that. The only real problem with the Groove is that it is nose sensitive. It has such a narrow window of nose angle that it took tremendous practice to find its sweet spot where it would live up to the hype. Instead, people were looking for a magic bullet that would make them forget about the Boss. The Katana was a lot closer to what people were hoping for, just look at all the hype when the Champion Katana came out. However, now look at the reviews it is getting; pretty much the same as the Groove, just with a lot less hatred.

I personally have no issues with the Groove. When I hit it right it flies very similar to a Z Nuke, maybe a little less distance. However, the Groove is not for me because I cannot hit that narrow zone consistently enough, therefore making the Z Nuke a far better choice for me.

The Roadrunner and Leopard are not for me either, but I do not think they are bad discs because I cannot throw them. I used to avoid the Valkyrie and Sidewinder because I thought I had too big of an arm for them. It turns out it was just OAT issues and I have since learned how to throw them to my advantage.

If you are looking for a bad disc, look at the really slower understable fairway drivers and mids. Their cruise speed is so slow that if you are a bigger arm, no amount of hyzer is going to flip it up right, it is just going to flip into the ground or not at all. Only a small niche of players can throw them properly. At least a warp speed understable driver like a Monarch or Katana can be used by all players, a power arm can use it to turn right while for a "weak" arm it becomes a moderately stable version of a Tee-Rex, XCaliber, or Firebird.

I'd have to go with the L versions of overstable discs. Gator, Whippet, FB, Monster, etc. Defeats the whole point. Not a big fan of the Eagle-L but the TL is $$$.

Stupid leopard bottom.

Monarch is a dependable disc...you just have to know how to utilize it.

I'm shy on the groove.....too much negative buzz for me to try

Monarch is a great disc, I think innova tried to hard to mimmick its characteristics with the groove and didnt even come close

Well I own a Champion Panther and a Star Kite I believe in the same weight. The only differences I can see from the two are that the panther may be a touch more stable, but its not by much. Also the Kite probably has a little more glide to it, but to me they are very similar. Then again im the same guy that feels like the Shark is alot like a Roc.

I am glad you were able to discredit yourself so we didn't have to do it for you.
The panther will hold a line and is an amazing touch disc. Its like throwing a long putter.

The kite is a midrange arch angel. It will fly a frozen rope, turn and burn or barely flip further than you want and glide so much it ends up way off line. I actually liked the DX kite, but it never made the bag due to predictability issues.

I'd have to go with the L versions of overstable discs. Gator, Whippet, FB, Monster, etc. Defeats the whole point. Not a big fan of the Eagle-L but the TL is $$$.

Stupid leopard bottom.

I agree, but I wouldn't say they should be listed as the worst discs (the tl and eagle L both have their place) but they should have been marketed as a different disc, that or at least labeled as a different version (like the TL).
I understand innova wanting to make their stuff more beginner friendly, as beginners are 80something% of their market, but not even adding the L to the mold name just alienates people who liked the different version. I stopped throwing eagles when I got tired of having to look/compare all the eagles I find to make sure they have the notch. And what happens when a newb gets a new Star Eagle (L mold, but they don't know) love it, lose it and pick up a SEX? they will think innova sucks because the two discs fly nothing like each other.
Are they just being cheapskates not wanting to pay to get the Eagle-L mold approved so they release the disc under the same name?

If you are looking for a bad disc, look at the really slower understable fairway drivers and mids. Their cruise speed is so slow that if you are a bigger arm, no amount of hyzer is going to flip it up right, it is just going to flip into the ground or not at all. Only a small niche of players can throw them properly.

The answer is called "touch". ;)