• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which Innova discs are good for hammers/pancake shots?

SBVT2012

Looking for some advice here:

Lately, I've found myself having to use the hammer/tomahawk/pancake throw (whatever you want to call it) to recover from a bad lie. More often than not, my disc hasn't turned over flat and skidded like I want it to. If someone could advise me on whether this is a problem with the disc I am using or if I'm incorrectly throwing the disc, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

firebird, i prefer the predator by discraft, but if you insist on innova the firebird is a great disc for it, you need something nice and overstable to turn over like that

firebird, i prefer the predator by discraft, but if you insist on innova the firebird is a great disc for it, you need something nice and overstable to turn over like that

Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, I wasn't sure which attribute it was that caused the disc to turn over better. I see that the Firebird is a distance disc. what would you recommend as far as it goes for mid-ranges?

midranges for those shots i'd still reccomend the firebird, it will turnover even on short thumbers/tomohawks, but if you insist on getting something with less speed i'd say the whippet, or the drone (discraft), but the firebird will work great for shorter thumbers/turnovers also, and its great for short hyzer spikes, it will cover almost everything you need overhand and hyzer spiking wize, it also makes a great headwind driver

I don't want to confuse you, but in my experience, understable discs turn "under" with a tomahawk/hammer throw faster than overstable discs do.

You can adjust your throw to the disc's characteristics by changing the height of the arc you throw it on and the angle of release. If the disc isn't going to turn much but you still want it to land on its flight plate and slide, just release it closer to upside down or give it more height so it has more time to turn under.

A champion monster always worked well for me, even on short shots. Thrown correctly, it will turn over on softer throws.

And he does want the best disc for the job, thats why he wants an Innova...haha, jk...not trying to start any plastic wars

I have a DX Valkyrie that is beat past all belief (hurray for the used bin). It seems to do just what I want it to on OH shots. However, when I'm looking for distance I use a newer Champ Valk. I'll try out the Firebird on OH next time I'm out, as I have a X-Out that could use the abuse anyway.

-Alpha

I always used my Champion Orc for tomahawks (2 fingers on the bottom, thumb on the top) and I snap my wrist down and right as I throw. When there's just dirt around I could get it to land upside down and slide up to the basket pretty reliably.

Alright. Thanks to everyone for their advice.

The reasoning behind me asking what Innova discs were best for these type of shots:
1) Innova seems to be the most popular brand, therefore finding the right disc may be easier than another brand that I am not familiar with.

Disagree with this

I don't want to confuse you, but in my experience, understable discs turn "under" with a tomahawk/hammer throw faster than overstable discs do.

You can adjust your throw to the disc's characteristics by changing the height of the arc you throw it on and the angle of release. If the disc isn't going to turn much but you still want it to land on its flight plate and slide, just release it closer to upside down or give it more height so it has more time to turn under.

Agree with this. The more understable the disc, the faster it will turn over. If you throw a boss, it will just spike and land on edge. If you throw a sidewinder, it will not go as far, but it WILL turn over. It will make a swinging motion, first flipping to the right, almost doing a 180 to the angle you threw it at, then it will come back for a nice pancake. The beast does this well for me, as well as the roadrunner or sidewinder. If you want to use a more overstable disc, such as an illusion (gateway). Then it has to be released with the top facing slightly down at an angle, not at a 90 degree.

Champion or Star Firebird. I have a CE Firebird that is magical on thumbers, but I hate to abuse it like that so I only use it for drives and some spike hyzers. I carry a Star Firebird for just the thumbers and it works great too.

I use both a Champ Monster and a Z Flick. Both work well and are very durable. The Monster has a very thick rim for a driver, and at first felt odd for thumbers. The Flick is the opposite, it is super low profile.

It seems like you're talking about shorter recovery shots, not long distance. The overstable drivers that people are recommending (firebird, monster, flick, etc) are good for distance overhead shots, but for something that will flip over and land on its top from a shorter distance I am pretty sure you need something more understable. I keep a slightly beat up Stingray for these types of shots. A roadrunner is good also. A friend of mine will use a putter (Banger GT, sorry not Innova) for these types of shots and he is awesome at them. So if you're talking about shorter save shots from the woods I think you need to go more understable.

Thanks a bunch.

Yeah, I wasn't sure which attribute it was that caused the disc to turn over better. I see that the Firebird is a distance disc. what would you recommend as far as it goes for mid-ranges?

I use a Cro for mids, they turn right over and slide across the ground.

Latest posts