• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Which Roc do I need?

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I'm ready to try a Roc but I don't know which kind to purchase. I hear things like "flat top", "big bead", "ching roc", "11x". Does anyone know the poop on rocs or is a roc a roc?

Say bro not to kill this thread, but here is a link to the ROC stuff thread.

But I am sure our brother still wants personal opinions as well.

I personally like the "flat-top" (they just didn't come out of the mold with a dome) Classic Roc the best.

If you are just starting to throw the roc you may want to remember that most of them brand new are pretty stable. They take some "seasoning" or a breaking in period until they go really straight. Unless you get a dx classic roc or an Ontario roc. Otherwise I would suggest just a regular dx rancho roc until you figure out which one you like the best. I personally love the old San Marino rocs that are out of production. Once you season them they just don't change much after that. Really great plastic and mold.

All of them, Rocs are creatures of beauty. i carry a dx color stamp flat top, a champion rancho, a super rancho, and champion san marino, a star ontario and a champion classic. All are wonderful discs and all fly differently thus leading me to use them in different situations and conditions. Just start with one fall in love with it and then see what others do. Everyone likes their roc and everyone like a roc a little different.

Don't let the Roc confusion get to you.

Forget the "classic Roc." It's not a Roc and should not be mentioned in connection with the actual 21.7 cm diameter Roc.

You also can't get Rocs in Star or Champ without paying big $$$. No need to pay big $$$ for a disc you are trying out.

This brings us to your two options, the DX Roc and the KC Pro Roc. Both of these discs with a regular factory hotstamp will be the Rancho mold. It's a great mold, and it's the regular production mold, so this is what you want. No need to search high and low for a custom stamped Ontario or San Marino at this point.

Just get a regular old DK Roc with the regular old Roc stamp and you will have a nice Rancho Roc. I suggest DX because you do need to "season" a Roc before that fantastic glide really comes out, and a DX Roc will beat in faster. So don't throw it once and put it away...keep on throwing it and soon enough you will find out why there are thousands of loyal Roc throwers out there.

Forget the "classic Roc." It's not a Roc and should not be mentioned in connection with the actual 21.7 cm diameter Roc.

You also can't get Rocs in Star or Champ without paying big $$$. No need to pay big $$$ for a disc you are trying out.

This brings us to your two options, the DX Roc and the KC Pro Roc. Both of these discs with a regular factory hotstamp will be the Rancho mold. It's a great mold, and it's the regular production mold, so this is what you want. No need to search high and low for a custom stamped Ontario or San Marino at this point.

Just get a regular old DK Roc with the regular old Roc stamp and you will have a nice Rancho Roc. I suggest DX because you do need to "season" a Roc before that fantastic glide really comes out, and a DX Roc will beat in faster. So don't throw it once and put it away...keep on throwing it and soon enough you will find out why there are thousands of loyal Roc throwers out there.

Agreed.

Awesome! I had just about figured that out by reading what you wrote on the other thread. I think I understand Rocs now.

There are basically three Roc molds:

1. The original - AKA "Classic Roc" in current production - Not Reccommended.

2. The Ontario - OOP except as CFR - domier and less stable than Rancho - Not reccommended as much as Ranco.

3. The Rancho - AKA "Flat Top", "KC Pro", "Super Roc", "USDGC Roc", "Ching Roc" - Most reccommended. Best in DX for quicker breakin.

I am reposting this because it's been longer than 5 minutes so I can't edit it.

There are basically three Roc molds:

1. The original - AKA "San Marino", "Classic Roc" in current production - Not Reccommended.

2. The Ontario - OOP except as CFR - domier and less stable than Rancho - Not reccommended as much as Ranco.

3. The Rancho - AKA "Flat Top", "KC Pro", "Super Roc", "USDGC Roc", "Ching Roc" - Most reccommended. Best in DX for quicker breakin.

If I have anything incorrect someone please let me know soon before I go out and buy the wrong kind of Roc.

I would try Ranchos first. They are the most available and if they work, it will prevent you from having to but less available discs.

a DX Ranch rock can do just about anything at some point in its beat in cycle.

I personally like the "flat-top" (they just didn't come out of the mold with a dome) Classic Roc the best.

Are you saying that the "flat top" is a mis-made "rancho" or are all "ranchos" considered to be "flat tops"?

Are you saying that the "flat top" is a mis-made "rancho" or are all "ranchos" considered to be "flat tops"?

Most "flat top" or "Ching" rocs are so because all Ching discs had a full color stamp which was very hot and caused the top to flatten out. You can do the same thing with boiling water by pouring it over the dome of any domey roc to flatten it. This may be considered altering a disc so I would not use it or advertise your use of the method in a tourney.

i think i found an answer - makes sense esp after seeing the link to the Prime ChingRoc

Flying Discs
What is a 'CHING® Roc'?
In 1997 CHING® introduced 'full color' printing on golf disc plastics, exclusively on Innova's blank discs - such as the Roc. The application of heat, pressure, ink, and additives produced striking color graphics never available in the past. The combination of these elements is also capable of desirably altering the character of a golf disc, from feel to flight...which is why they became (and in some areas still are) recognized as 'CHING® Rocs', etc..

got the answer here: http://www.chingdiscgolf.com/faqs/index.php?sid=11091&lang=en&action=artikel&cat=4&id=12&artlang=en

Here is how I currently understand it. There are basically three Roc molds:

1. The original - AKA "San Marino", "Classic Roc" in current production - Not Reccommended.

3. The Rancho - AKA current production "DX Roc", "KC Pro", "Super Roc", "USDGC Roc", - Most reccommended. Best in DX for quicker breakin.

The "Flat Top" AKA "Ching" just means it's been hot stamped which flattens the top. "Flat Tops" can be either Ontario or Rancho mold.

i think the classic roc is 21.2 cm (it actually has a flat top as well, and can also be referred to as a flat top to add to the confusion)

san marino 21.7

ontario 21.7

rancho 21.7

ching 21.7 (hotstamp)

The fact is, I am not a Roc fanatic, at least no. I still love the Status for long straight shots.

I have no idea how a brand new Roc would be considered not tournament legal. Anyway, the Classic Roc I have is the only one that seems to throw the straightest so far, but that is probably because my others are just not beat in well yet. (Now where's a good wall to throw at? ;) )

The fact is, I am not a Roc fanatic, at least no. I still love the Status for long straight shots.

I have no idea how a brand new Roc would be considered not tournament legal. Anyway, the Classic Roc I have is the only one that seems to throw the straightest so far, but that is probably because my others are just not beat in well yet. (Now where's a good wall to throw at? ;) )

A brand new roc = legal
A brand new roc that you try to flatten by pouring boiling water on = post production disc modification (= illegal)

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

but no one would ever know unless you opened your big mouth!;)

Last edited: