• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Which sidearm style do you use?

Which sidearm style do you use?

• "The Chop" Avery Jenkins

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • "Straight back" Big Jerm

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
Over the last six months or so I've noticed that my sidearm game hasn't improved at all. I've seen improvements in pretty much every other area of game, except my forehand. So recently I've been analyzing my form with my GoPro. I've noticed that there seems to be two main sidearm styles amoung pros. They seem to generate their power one of two ways. Either they come from the top & do a "chop" like Avery Jenkins or they swing from straight back like Big Jerm. There's definitely variations of each style. These are just the two main styles I noticed, if there's another popular one I missed feel free to mention it. I want to know the pros & cons of each style different. I apologize for how I named each style in the poll, I don't know exactly what to call the differences in sidearm form. My style is closer to Big Jerms. I've tried to do "the chop" but I feel my accuracy suffers.

My question is, which style do you use? Why do you choose that style?

Big Jerm (start at 2:12)

Avery Jenkins

I said straight back but to be honest I'm not sure. I'm not sure I agree with this 2 group breakdown, but I also don't have a better suggestion at this point.

Avery's throws in that video make his forehand form look more beautiful than I remembered.

Paul, simon and Avery all throw that way. It works, obviously. There's probably a logical reason?

But it seems strange to me that if you're trying to throw a disc flat to do that motion. It's counterintuitive to what you'd do backhand. Taking it off axis that is.

You talking about the backswing... I do the same as Jerm.

Rick has a little mini chop in his backswing as well. It's not as severe as a very/mcbeth bit it is noticable. The full pendulum ala Avery doesn't work for me at all, when I started trying to emulate Rick more I had a lot more success.

As far as the back swing is concerned, I try to pull straight back. The pendulum style arm swing isn't a problem by itself, but I don't think it necessarily contributes to the throwing motion either. It looks to me like a way that you can help to time your footwork with the throw, which is always a good idea, but there are also other ways to achieve the same results.

I advocate a level reach back and pull forward to help with release angles. A problem I see with people just starting to work on their FH is that they unconsciously cock their elbows upward during the reach back. This tilts the disc forward (nose down) but as you start pulling forward the nose angle goes crazy. I see some people "scoop" the disc forward and it flies straight up and stalls right away. This is why I tell people to keep the disc level throughout the reach back and the flick forward, like the disc was sliding across a flat table top. With that motion, you can basically keep your elbow glued to your side, and it takes some of the wildness out of the throw.

For people with good arm motion trying to improve footwork and timing, there's nothing wrong with the chop--as long as it doesn't mess with getting a clean pull forward after the reach back.

Avery/McBeth backswing is not a pendulum, it's a circle that goes over the pivot and the weight/disc is no longer suspended from the pivot.

This is a pendulum backswing, weight/disc suspended from pivot back and forth:

Moving-animated-clip-art-picture-of-pendulum-x-bpm-1.gif

I throw more like Nate Sexton honestly, maybe Jerm for control but most of the time it's a power shot.

I typically throw with the straight back style, but I rarely attempt to flick anything over 250 because beyond that my accuracy is pretty horrible. In experimenting with longer throws, I do think when you do the chop, the change in plane from vertical to horizontal helps force the wrist back (but only if you've kept it loose) so you get maximum spin on the disc.

As mentioned above, footwork plays an important role in the FH drive.

FWIW, I use the Jerm method; the Avery/Innova chop is too busy for me, and I somehow end up with early release or slip when I try it.

OP, what drills/practice are you doing to improve your FH? I found standstill helped me improve on the release...also, a one step from standstill helped me with timing...

Avery/McBeth backswing is not a pendulum, it's a circle that goes over the pivot and the weight/disc is no longer suspended from the pivot.

This is a pendulum backswing, weight/disc suspended from pivot back and forth:

Moving-animated-clip-art-picture-of-pendulum-x-bpm-1.gif

So why do you prefer the "pendulum backswing" over "the chop"?

I typically throw with the straight back style, but I rarely attempt to flick anything over 250 because beyond that my accuracy is pretty horrible. In experimenting with longer throws, I do think when you do the chop, the change in plane from vertical to horizontal helps force the wrist back (but only if you've kept it loose) so you get maximum spin on the disc.

As mentioned above, footwork plays an important role in the FH drive.

FWIW, I use the Jerm method; the Avery/Innova chop is too busy for me, and I somehow end up with early release or slip when I try it.

OP, what drills/practice are you doing to improve your FH? I found standstill helped me improve on the release...also, a one step from standstill helped me with timing...

I do field work for an hour or two everyday after work (on the weekends I actually go play a round or two at a course). I spend one or two days a week just practicing forehand. I don't usually do a one step, though now that you mentioned it I will. I just usually do a full run up & practice different release angles with different discs. I also occasional record myself to try & tweak my own for. Recently I've been really trying to work on flicking flippy discs. That's a part of my game that Im not so confident in. I would like to be able to sidearm understable discs during a competitive round, but I'm not at that point yet. I guess I should figure out a better sidearm practice routine, especiallysince my forehand game has been so stagnant recently.

So why do you prefer the "pendulum backswing" over "the chop"?
It keeps the disc on more on plane/in place, and is more effortless/unrestricted reachback. It also happens to be similar to the backswing(and throw) motion pitching submarine.

I actually show both style backswings in the Dinglearm with the hammer, the Underneath Pendulum is definitely a longer swing. I start with the Over Chop at first with a tighter circle motion and then swing back Under as the swing gets longer and looser turning the shoulder further back and extending elbow more, like the long toss throw in baseball.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=1m35s

About 1:30 on is basically the dingearm/pendulum backswing: