• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Whitecap Mountain - Upson Wisconsin

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
Wow. So me and a couple friends just got done playing two rounds of 9 holes at the redesigned Whitecap disc golf course.

It was one of the most insane courses I've ever played. It follows the old back 9 of the golf course, and you tee off of the actual golf tee areas, and the baskets are all on the old greens, and while disc golf on ball golf courses is more or less unpopular within the dg community, this course does not fit in conventional realms. The absolutely crazy use of elevation along with the length, makes this one of the funnest (and toughest) courses I have played.

There are no pars listed, but my educated guesses lead me to put on my scorecard three par 3's, four par 4's, and two par 5's. Total length for just nine holes is approx. 4,890 according to old scorecard hole lengths (which some seem very off so it is an estimation), so 4/5 of a mile - and that was from the short tees! Golf carts are almost a must if you don't want to spend all day out here - it took us about 3 and a half hours for 18 total holes. Absolutely championship level disc golf - very reminiscent of Highbridge Hills Gold Course.

Talked to people in the proshop, and according to them, they will have a shipment of discs from a supplier coming for sale, a new basket for the missing hole 8 (it was stolen and at the moment they just have a rock to hit on the green - heard from staff that a new basket is on order), plus apparently this fall, an outside designer is coming and the plan is for 27 more disc golf holes to be added at some point!! I asked the sales rep who was coming in to design, and he said he wasn't sure, but I made sure to name drop Chuck Kennedy and John Houck.

Definitely keep an eye on this facility because the staff seemed very enthusiastic and competent about this, and it is off to a good start.

Course is $5 to play all day, and cart rentals are $10 all day.

Contacted site admins to clear old reviews and stats, and will be updating the course page with pictures and stats asap.

Last edited:
I haven't been up to Whitecap in several years and never to disc golf. But I've probably skied there 30 times and it's a fantastic property. I would love to play this course and will definitely make it up there if not this year next year for sure. $15 to disc golf all day with a cart on that property, heck yeah. We used to stay right on the hill when we skied, do they have any of the rental units open during the summer? I remember one of the condos had a hot tub on its elevated deck, is that still there?

Whitecap is where we had our "Olympic Village" with many international players staying there during 2007 Pro Worlds at Highbridge, about 45 minutes away.

I haven't been up to Whitecap in several years and never to disc golf. But I've probably skied there 30 times and it's a fantastic property. I would love to play this course and will definitely make it up there if not this year next year for sure. $15 to disc golf all day with a cart on that property, heck yeah. We used to stay right on the hill when we skied, do they have any of the rental units open during the summer? I remember one of the condos had a hot tub on its elevated deck, is that still there?

Yeah $15 all day is great and the cart paths are pretty fun too - winding up and down and around some pretty steep ridges is an added thrill. And yes there are some units open - saw a couple Illinois plates at one yesterday and in past years on the old niner, there were quite a few families out there grilling and chilling and whatnot.

Oh, and although it is shorter, the current hole 9 on this course gives hole 8 at Highbridge Gold a run for it's money - shorter but way steeper.

Looks like im going to make a trip up there soon, glad you dropped some good names for course design!

I tried contacting them a few weeks ago when I saw an update on their webpage. I never heard back but I'll try again.

$15 to disc golf all day with a cart on that property, heck yeah.

I haven't done much research and quickly looked at the page Jeremy put up, but I would venture to believe most disc golfers would see $15 on a 9 hole course as pretty steep, not to mention hole 8 basket is missing. I understand cart usage but I would venture to believe most would not be willing to pay that.

A course added to my wishlist! Looks, sounds great. I have skied there but never been there in summer and now I have a reason to.

I haven't done much research and quickly looked at the page Jeremy put up, but I would venture to believe most disc golfers would see $15 on a 9 hole course as pretty steep, not to mention hole 8 basket is missing. I understand cart usage but I would venture to believe most would not be willing to pay that.

A course added to my wishlist! Looks, sounds great. I have skied there but never been there in summer and now I have a reason to.
Consider this. If you have a 9-hole course that's as long as a recreational 18-hole course, you might make as many throws and only have to putt half as much, and generally people don't like putting as much as throwing. Plus, there appear to be two tees on each hole or you could make up a few to get 18, even with a target missing.

Getting the cart for the whole day is worth more than $15 alone. And I'm sure we could figure out a safari course to make it even more interesting.

I would NORMALLY agree, but this golf course is alot different than most. The overall fairways are tighter and WAAAYYYY steeper than the average ball golf course. I'm talking BALL GOLF holes playing down ski runs. So now imagine how awesome that would be to convert to a disc golf hole.

Hole 9 is now I think my favorite downhill shot I've ever played (and I've played Bryant Lake 17, the Highbridge courses, Deer Lakes 7 and 15, both Mont Du Lac courses, just for context) - and holes 3, 4 and 7 are also spectacular downhillers too (with 7 being an island surrounded by water and a small land bridge connecting it).

Just skiied there the other week. Things are looking good in terms of the winter side of things - nicely groomed trails, more snowcover, a decent terrain park, and a modern look in the chalet. That leads me to be confident in the news I just got when I was there.

Talked to the sales manager and he said that this spring they will be starting construction of a 27 hole course on site! And there will also be a temp. 18 holer that will be playable during construction. Dunno who the designer is but the new management seems to be on top of things so hopefully it will be good.

This, combined with the new turn of events at Highbridge, looks like it will turn northernmost Wisconsin into a prime disc destination!

I will update again when I hear more.

Latest posts