• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who can call or correct an infarction?

d11rok

Par Member
I was watching the first round, front 9 of the "winter warm up" by GK productions yesterday and watched this scenario unfold:

There is an area of out of bounds past the basket, but this area is downhill from the tee and and basket, thus the players cannot see shortly distant to the basket. The oob area is about 10 feet of cement (drainage area) and then transitions back to grass and inbounds.

The drive goes past the basket, down hill, makes contact with the out of bounds, skips in bounds on the back side of the out of bounds area, and then slides back down into our of bounds.

Per my understanding of the rules, with perfect information the disc is taken to the last place it was inbounds, and thus in the above scenario would be on the backside of the outofbounds (so thus the next throw would have to go over oob to get to the basket). However, since I'm guessing the card thought it was more likely that the disc instead went directly oob and never made it to the other side of the oob territory (again, they could not possibly see it), the next throw was taken on the front side of oob, much closer to the basket and able to make a putt.

The card, with the information they knew, most certainly made the correct call. However, if perfect information is known, it was the incorrect call. That information was seen, since it was captured on video.

The rules q&a clearly states video and pictures cannot be used for ruling. However, there is no distinction made about, for example, spectators, other cards, etc citing a rule violation or in the above scenario, correcting the card's decision since they saw the entirety of the play.

Thus the questions: 1) who can cite rules infarctions and/or corrections, and 2) who should do so?

IMHO, since perfect information is variable based on card status, spectators, etc, only the card should be able to comment. However an argument can be made to have a spectator or the videographer point out what indeed happened and allow the card to come to a consensus thereafter.

The players in the group have to make the call (unless tournament official present) but can listen to commentary (not video or photos) from observers to influence their vote. In the case of big events using official spotters with flags like the USDGC, they would indicate the proper call. However, I suspect that a savvy TD may have applied a drop zone on that hole if the disc ended up OB so no judgment would be required on which inbounds side the disc entered.

Since I can't find the No Photo Evidence rule in the manual at the moment:

Does it really say that the players in the group can't look at photos or videos? I'm thinking that's just a prohibition from using them as proof, in an appeal or request for a ruling. Are they prohibited from looking at them, to advise a group decision? (What's the penalty, if they do?)

QA-APP-10: Can video or other media be used as evidence to make a rules call?

PDGA policy is that video evidence can only be used to document player misconduct as defined under section 3.03 of the Competition Manual. Evidence of player misconduct may be evaluated at any time by the PDGA Disciplinary Committee. No other use of video or other media is allowed for the purpose of making rulings during tournament play.

PDGA policy is that video evidence can only be used to document player misconduct as defined under section 3.03 of the Competition Manual. Evidence of player misconduct may be evaluated at any time by the PDGA Disciplinary Committee. No other use of video or other media is allowed for the purpose of making rulings during tournament play.

Thanks, Chuck.

The players in the group have to make the call (unless tournament official present) but can listen to commentary (not video or photos) from observers ...

So the group could ask the catch-cam operator what happened. he/she could review the footage and describe what the footage shows?

So the group could ask the catch-cam operator what happened. he/she could review the footage and describe what the footage shows?

Logically, seems to me that'd be fine, they're not directly using it, and they're taking the statement of a spectator at that point. Again, that's logic, not always what's applied with PDGA and some of the rules that come up.

So, let's say the course has a lot of blind shots, and the TD decides to make the catch-cam operator a tournament official. Then the catch-cam person couldn't review the footage?

There's nothing preventing the camera person from reviewing the footage (the rules don't apply to him). And nothing preventing the group from taking what he tells them into account. That he went to the video to confirm what he may or may not have seen in real time doesn't really ever have to come up.

So, let's say the course has a lot of blind shots, and the TD decides to make the catch-cam operator a tournament official. Then the catch-cam person couldn't review the footage?

For the purposes of making a ruling? No, he/she couldn't.

Not exactly. The way it worked at the Memorial a few years ago when a cameraman discovered Ricky mis-entered some scores is he asked head official Downes about it. Downes went to the TD to gather Ricky's cardmates to review their shot counts on the holes in question. Then, they agreed to make the correction. So video evidence triggered the inquiry but the group had to remember the play without video assistance. In the case of blind shots, the group wouldn't be able to act even with prompting from the videographer or photographer since they presumably couldn't see the final motion of the disc.

For the purposes of making a ruling? No, he/she couldn't.

So the (tournament official) catch-cam operator says: "If I look at the footage, I can't make the call; but I could describe what I see and you can make the call."

Would that the OK?

So the (tournament official) catch-cam operator says: "If I look at the footage, I can't make the call; but I could describe what I see and you can make the call."

Would that the OK?
Nope. Especially not fair for catch-cam person to be making comments since every group doesn't have one filming them. If the event is big enough to have video, hopefully a qualified course expert has found these blind areas in advance to where a drop zone would be used so groups could make consistent calls. Or, the TD makes sure there's an official spotter on that hole for every group.

Nope. Especially not fair for catch-cam person to be making comments since every group doesn't have one filming them. If the event is big enough to have video, hopefully a qualified course expert has found these blind areas in advance to where a drop zone would be used so groups could make consistent calls. Or, the TD makes sure there's an official spotter on that hole for every group.

I disagree with this, if we're talking about the camera person saying what they saw in real time and not what the video replay might have shown. If they're only reporting what they saw in real time, they are no different than any other observer who might happen to witness something. Shouldn't matter that they have a camera in hand.

I mean, by this logic (that they're not available to every group), you'd have to disallow all possible input from non-players. What if one of the players has a caddy that is sent down to spot the blind hole? The caddy isn't available to the rest of the groups, so does that render him unable to comment on what he saw that no one else did?

I
I mean, by this logic (that they're not available to every group), you'd have to disallow all possible input from non-players. What if one of the players has a caddy that is sent down to spot the blind hole? The caddy isn't available to the rest of the groups, so does that render him unable to comment on what he saw that no one else did?

That's pretty much where I was heading, except I wanted to use gallery members (which may include players in the same division as the group playing the hole).

Not exactly. The way it worked at the Memorial a few years ago when a cameraman discovered Ricky mis-entered some scores is he asked head official Downes about it. Downes went to the TD to gather Ricky's cardmates to review their shot counts on the holes in question. Then, they agreed to make the correction. So video evidence triggered the inquiry but the group had to remember the play without video assistance. In the case of blind shots, the group wouldn't be able to act even with prompting from the videographer or photographer since they presumably couldn't see the final motion of the disc.

That was a weird one. Weren't there 4 or 5 hole scores mismarked for Wysocki (at least one too high)? Did the PDGA look into what happened?

I wonder how that would have gone if Jomez published the video, but the scores weren't corrected because the players couldn't remember hole-by-hole shots. Bad, I think.

I don't have any problem if the catch-cam person makes a comment about what they saw in real time. The issue is whether they can look at the video or show to confirm. That seems to be the issue. It would be the same for a spectator filming. They could say what they saw but not show the replay on their camera or phone to the group as a way to confirm.

Logically, seems to me that'd be fine, they're not directly using it, and they're taking the statement of a spectator at that point. ......

There's nothing preventing the camera person from reviewing the footage (the rules don't apply to him). And nothing preventing the group from taking what he tells them into account. That he went to the video to confirm what he may or may not have seen in real time doesn't really ever have to come up.

On first read through I agreed with mark996 & JC17393. But then going back to:

I think it is arguable that players could be deemed to be making 'use of video or other media' to make their ruling. They are not actually viewing the footage, but they are (arguably) making use of it. The rules don't apply to the spectator but they do to the players, and by hearing the spectator recount the footage, the players (I think) can quite easily be said to be making use of the footage. The use of the word "use" in the phrase
No other use of video
can be read in a general(broad?) sense of the word "use". It doesn't have to specifically mean to view directly.

Missed edit window

And it feels like a cleaner interpretation of the rule. It avoids "I can't look at your phone, but if you just play it back now and tell me everything you see....".

Of course a card can't know whether a spectator/catch-cam operator has reviewed any video unless they get told or they observe it....