• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who else has gone with a cart only to find it not so great?

VictorB

* Ace Member *
Title kind of speaks for itself. I got a zuca backpack cart, and I don't feel like it's made much of a difference for me in terms of comfort, carry capacity, convenience, etc. I got it for a legitimate reason too - my left knee is severely arthritic and I thought the cart would help alleviate some pain/stiffness I get from walking with the extra weight of a bag on.

If anything, I've had more back issues and no changes really with the condition of my knee during or after rounds. I think the back issues are more from constantly pulling the cart with the same hand - not something I was consciously doing but I think there's definitely an effect there. The seating position for the zuca isn't all that great for me - I'm 5'6" and relatively short legs so I never feel like I can take the whole load off my lower body when I sit on it.

As for carry capacity - sure I could load up the top compartment of my ranger with discs, but I like having storage for stuff that's not discs. Putting a ton of accessories on the cart - like the water bottle holder mods, putter pouch, accessory pouch, and using those to their fullest - can really weight the whole thing down also. The biggest minus about a bag only setup is 1. the lack of a rain fly for the ranger, and 2. having to carry a stool.

Am I the only one that's bought a cart, then realized after a few months that it's not exactly what you hoped it would be?

If you carry large amounts of fluids (see:beer), having a CART with a cooler in it is optimal.

If you're shorter, maybe you should have gone with a Delta.

The thing I found as a positive (for me) for carts over bags is that they took the strain off my back and moved it to my legs. I had to get used to the extra work my legs were doing. Hope you figure out a way to ease the pain from your knees.

I tried one to see if I was missing anything (Re-purposed baby stroller) and didn't feel it offered me any advantages. Disc Golf isn't physically intense enough for me that playing all day becomes a burden, and there's only so much water I can drink over 18 holes. Backpacks do me right for now. Might feel differently in a decade :)

If I had 30+ discs, drinks, and other bazaar in my bag, maybe.

!2 discs or so and water on hot days, not needed.

I'm waiting for the first DG pro to bring a 4x4 out there. :)

Try using a jogging stroller, instead of the Zuca. With the stroller, you have 2 hands pushing the cart instead of one hand pulling the cart. Using my jogging stroller whenever I can has helped my back issues. I also recently bought a superhero backpack so when I dont have my jogging stroller it would help my back. On days when I use the stroller, I also feel less tired because im not picking up my bag 50+ times during the round.

Pushing the cart whenever possible is much easier on your body. I've noticed that the cart takes the load off of your back and shoulders but does put the load on your legs. Pushing it rather than pulling does make a significant difference. I was on the fence with mine, same backpack Zuca, but it has won me over after a few weeks of use.

I only notice a difference on the really long days when I'm pushing 100 holes. By the time I start playing the 4th or 5th round I usually notice less fatigue if I use a cart instead of the backpack that day. I also REALLY enjoy my cart on the 90+ degree days because I can carry a couple of Gatorades and not have to worry about all the extra weight of the liquid being on my back.

I use a 3 wheel Clicgear cart and have found it very beneficial. Much easier to push than a jogging stroller. Any bag will hang on it and can put a cooler on the bottom level if needed. Can also attach a stool. I've used the Zuca and like the Clicgear better.

As I've hit the Pro Masters division age in the past year, I decided to give the cart a whirl since everybody else in the division seems to have one(Along with an assortment of balms and creams they carry with for aches and pains :D ) When I first got the cart, I didn't really notice a difference because I would go out and play a single round and though nothing of it. I didn't really notice the difference until my first tournament. Two rounds of 27 holes for the first tourney of the year was a bit much I thought, but the cart kept me going strong. Didn't feel worn down at all during the tourney and so it's gone this way for all tournaments since then. Single rounds, depending on the course, I'll still carry my backpack. Anytime I'm looking to play multiple rounds in a day, especially on a long course, I pull out the cart every time.

Also, I agree with the statement about pulling the cart versus pushing. When I first started using the cart, I pulled it behind me. This caused some lower back issues for me(Have had a herniated disk a time or two in the lower back). Once I start to push the cart around, everything was all good then.

Old Guy Opinion

...I'm waiting for the first DG pro to bring a 4x4 out there. :)

Might be an entrepreneurial opportunity. An electronically powered pull cart might be the next breakthrough, assuming the engineer designs a small light battery that centers gravity and doesn't soak the wallet. :thmbup:

The Zuca backpack cart has a smaller seat than the standard Zuca cart. Could explain why you didn't feel like you were sitting.

Some good responses here.

I'll likely keep the cart just for longer 2 round days on cart-friendly courses, since it does help there. For single rounds, I think I'll just end up carrying my bag and a tripod stool like I have for years.

Victor, were you pushing or pulling your cart? As jtrod and asc mentioned above, pushing is a lot easier in general. While it generally is advised to do that to keep the spine from twisting, I wonder if you wouldn't benefit from it too with your knees. Pushing is much less taxing on my body after a round than pulling/dragging. Living in WI, I imagine there are tons of cart-friendly courses (most that I played last year would've been easy rounds with carts anyway). It'll be a shame if you spent all that money for something you won't use very often.

Victor, were you pushing or pulling your cart?

Lots of hills on the courses here in Madison and pushing up hill with one hand isn't exactly easy, so I resort to pulling most of the time. Not too worried about not getting a ton of use out of it, not like I haven't wasted a huge amount of money on disc golf anyway :D

Lots of hills on the courses here in Madison and pushing up hill with one hand isn't exactly easy, so I resort to pulling most of the time. Not too worried about not getting a ton of use out of it, not like I haven't wasted a huge amount of money on disc golf anyway :D

Dude...how long ago did you move to WI? I thought you were still down in Columbia.

I haven't played a Madison course that wasn't cart friendly. Pretty smooth sailing down there.

Latest posts