• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is Darrell Nodland?

banzai7

Double Eagle Member
Second highest player in the world at 1040. And it looks like he plays virtually no PDGA events. The few C-tiers he does play every year, he wins by like 20 strokes.

What's his story?

Darrell plays mainly in North Dakota and a little in South Dakota. He is a really nice guy and can throw. Doesn't seem to hit too many of the majors. I think me made the lead card at the USDGC a few years back when he made the trek out east.

Ah,
Mr. Darrell "The best player you have never heard of" Nodland

Played a round with him the other weekend. Straight up class act of a person. In these parts (ND) he is a legend. Lives in Dickinson ND and works for and oil company as there geologist or something.

The reason he has such a high rating is due to the flaws in the rating system. The last couple of years he has played mostly local (ND) and regional tourneys and dominates everyone so he gets a 1040 rating. I would say he is more like a high 1020's to lower 1030's. Back in 2004 he took 2nd in the USDGC.

The reason you have never heard of him is because he has a family now and does not play as much as he used to. He is also active in running the North Dakota Disc Golf Association and local tourneys (like this years ND State Championships). He is our ND course Designer so that keeps him busy on the weekends. I believe designing is his main thing these days. he seems to be very concerned about getting good courses put up in ND so to get people interested in DG and get it respected as a sport

He is 42 years old now so can play masters but still plays pro all but one time for the competition. But for 42 it's amazing that he can still throw it a mile. Very unique throw, slow run up, not much body twist, Pure Snap, then bam 500+ ft

In the 90's was sponsored by Discraft but now is Innova
http://innovadiscs.com/team/darrell.html

He is coming to our tourney this weekend so wish me luck haha (I just love having to playing for 2nd even before the thing starts)

Ironhide said:
North Dakota has alot of space up there for DG since there's not much up there! :lol: (NDSU grad here)

nice UND student here

The reason he has such a high rating is due to the flaws in the rating system. The last couple of years he has played mostly local (ND) and regional tourneys and dominates everyone so he gets a 1040 rating. I would say he is more like a high 1020's to lower 1030's. Back in 2004 he took 2nd in the USDGC.
Not sure what "flaws" you speak of. If anything, popular myth would indicate he's under-rated because he doesn't get the benefit of playing in higher rated pools. When he took second at the USDGC, he shot his rating. No reason to believe he couldn't do the same again if he could travel. Several top rated players don't even shoot their rating the first time they play the USDGC due to its unique challenges.

Chuck Kennedy said:
Not sure what "flaws" you speak of. If anything, popular myth would indicate he's under-rated because he doesn't get the benefit of playing in higher rated pools. When he took second at the USDGC, he shot his rating. No reason to believe he couldn't do the same again if he could travel. Several top rated players don't even shoot their rating the first time they play the USDGC due to its unique challenges.

Maybe he could. I guess i say he is more like a lower rating because he really doesn't play/practice/train like he did for the 04 USDGC. For example He said he has done 30min of putting practice this year. What's scary is he played our newest course (1 year old) and shot the new course record the 2nd time he ever played it without having his putting "on"

I was under the impression that if you play against easy(er) competition the rating system thinks you are better. Like Jesper from Sweden who does not dominate over here as much as his rating would suggest he would. I seem to put more accountability into the Rankings than Ratings. But i think that has a "problem" of not having Nodland in it, like his Rating would suggest he should.

Ironhide said:
North Dakota has alot of space up there for DG since there's not much up there! :lol: (NDSU grad here)

Go Bison :!:

The first course I ever played was Oak Grove Park in Fargo.

correct, not a lot of 1000 rated players in the Dakotas.

you have to play the USDGC for at least a couple years to start shooting your rating, it is a very tough course. the wind that can be at that course does not help either.

Like Jesper from Sweden who does not dominate over here as much as his rating would suggest he would.
Jesper dominated the best U.S. players on his home turf and a few hundred miles away. Are the U.S. players' ratings inflated because they didn't dominate in Sweden?

Darrell's rating is based on more rounds than sometimes in the past so I don't doubt he still has the skills even if his championship tourney mode is rusty.

rodman20 said:
From his innova team page

Longest Measured throw: 585' back in 1994 with an Innova Viper (back when I could throw long - ha ha).

wowsers
back in those viper days i played with a guy who was like #2 or #3 in distance competition, but for the life of me i can't remember his name... i wonder if there are historical records for that sort of thing. i've see the list of winners from every year, but nothing that shows who else was competing at the time.

Long time lurker here, but seeing this thread i had to post. I've lived in ND for the last 11 years (went to college in Jamestown, ND), and have had the pleasure to not only play many rounds with Darrell, but to help him install one of the toughest and longest courses in our state.

Darrell is the real deal. If he was still touring his rating may fall into the 1030s but i don't think it would go much lower than that for a few years at least. The guy can flat bomb a disc and still has an incredible short game. The newer faster drivers are just allowing him to throw as far as ever with less effort...its kinda sickining sometimes :)

Darrell is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet disc golfing. I know of several guys who would never have started taking the game seriously without meeting him and seeing him throw. Hes very easy to talk to, especially about disc golf.

He has also done wonders with disc golf in general in the state of ND. If you have never had the pleasure of playing any Darrell designed championship courses, i would suggest stopping in Dickinson or Jamestown if you are ever in the area. He also runs some of the smoothest tournaments i've had the pleasure of playing.

We ND golfers are very lucky to have someone of this calibur active in our state disc golf scene. I'll end this rambling fanboy post with a little story. I played in the Grateful Disc earlier this year in Ft. Collins CO. Myself and two other gentleman made the trip from ND for the tournament (probably 10-11 hour drive i think it was). Darrell went to college in Ft Collins. During the first round of the tournament i happen to overhear another card talking as they walked to there next tee (all local CO guys)...they were talking about "This Nodland guy who could throw 500'+ back in the 90s". So even ~15 years after he left the area, the local golfers still know and talk about him. And hes still that good.

Well if any of you Dakota folks see him, tell him that we'd die to have his skills, and that if we did, we sure as heck be playing USDGC and Worlds. I'd love to see a little known name like him (heck, I've been rooting for Randolph for the past few years) win!

Balz said:
Long time lurker here, but seeing this thread i had to post. I've lived in ND for the last 11 years (went to college in Jamestown, ND), and have had the pleasure to not only play many rounds with Darrell, but to help him install one of the toughest and longest courses in our state.

Darrell is the real deal. If he was still touring his rating may fall into the 1030s but i don't think it would go much lower than that for a few years at least. The guy can flat bomb a disc and still has an incredible short game. The newer faster drivers are just allowing him to throw as far as ever with less effort...its kinda sickining sometimes :)

Darrell is also one of the nicest guys you will ever meet disc golfing. I know of several guys who would never have started taking the game seriously without meeting him and seeing him throw. Hes very easy to talk to, especially about disc golf.

He has also done wonders with disc golf in general in the state of ND. If you have never had the pleasure of playing any Darrell designed championship courses, i would suggest stopping in Dickinson or Jamestown if you are ever in the area. He also runs some of the smoothest tournaments i've had the pleasure of playing.

We ND golfers are very lucky to have someone of this calibur active in our state disc golf scene. I'll end this rambling fanboy post with a little story. I played in the Grateful Disc earlier this year in Ft. Collins CO. Myself and two other gentleman made the trip from ND for the tournament (probably 10-11 hour drive i think it was). Darrell went to college in Ft Collins. During the first round of the tournament i happen to overhear another card talking as they walked to there next tee (all local CO guys)...they were talking about "This Nodland guy who could throw 500'+ back in the 90s". So even ~15 years after he left the area, the local golfers still know and talk about him. And hes still that good.
Ditto this.

Echoing Balz's comments; Darrell is just plain awesome! He throws far and scary accurate, runs a kick-ass tourny, and designs challenging courses. He's a top rated pro with the 'guy next door' attitude. Personable, friendly, and compassionate. He is the role-model for many of our younger players. I for one count myself fortunate to have him as a friend. Its already been stated that he throws far. In addition to throwing big D its accurate D.we've seen him throw 500' and hit the target he was sighting on (rightmost tree on rez hole 11b).

He's done more for ND Disc Golf than we could ever have hoped for, or adequately thank him for. Thanks mane!

(Posted from my BlackBerry)

Latest posts