• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is Darrell Nodland?

Ripper

Double Eagle Member
Darrell Nodland 7225 ND USA 1037 11 M Pro

4th highest rated player in the world? :D

He's been a force in North Dakota for over 20 years getting many of their courses in the ground and running events. He's really that good, killing the competition when he plays. He's no fluke either because he took second in the USDGC the one time he ventured out onto the big stage around seven years ago.

Darrell has been the ND PDGA state coordinator for some time as well. He won again this year by write in.

There are quite a bit of players around that would be top touring players if they choose to tour. There's a local player in my area that when he was a PDGA member, his ranking was above 1030. He ventures out to leagues here occasionally. He prefers to be a weekend hacker. His game is almost legend around here.

Unfortunately being rated quite high at your home course doesn't make you a top touring player. Rating that highly while touring is much more difficult! Either way I'd be happy though...

There are quite a bit of players around that would be top touring players if they choose to tour. There's a local player in my area that when he was a PDGA member, his ranking was above 1030. He ventures out to leagues here occasionally. He prefers to be a weekend hacker. His game is almost legend around here.

You must be hiding Eric Marx around there.

I know who you are talking about.......and that 1030 was only based off 2 rounds and was the topic of debate on whether or not there should be a min # of rounds to get a rating.

Eric was from Texas. I heard he lived in the mountains near Asheville. That's what I based my guess off of.

He is in SC from what I know.......he actually played a few events back in like 05-06.

I have an old TX DG vid that shows a lot of Austin events fom the mid 90's and it has plenty of footage of Eric and his dubs partner Don Wilchek.

You're probably thinking of Ben Gaddis in Clemson, SC, not Eric Marx. Ben had a 1028 rating at his last update in 2006 based on 8 rounds.

You're probably thinking of Ben Gaddis in Clemson, SC, not Eric Marx. Ben had a 1028 rating at his last update in 2006 based on 8 rounds.

Yes that is the guy....fwiw I knew Marx wasn't 1030 but he was like 1010 when he came back.

Who is Darrell Nodland and what does he do?

I didn't know his name... just a great player that said he was from North Dakota...

Played the last four holes at Paschall Park in Mesquite, TX with this guy last year. His picture is on Innova's website...

http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/ambassadors/darrell-nodland.html

Parked a champ Firebird from the long tee on 17 like it was routine. Said he was in town on "business" and liked to play a lot. Nice guy... didn't "in your face, I'm great"... or act as if he was special at all. It was one of my Wednesday (day off) rounds.

And I thought I'd never played with (or even met) a pro...

(Except Paige Pierce from Plano that schooled me at Swanee... that was this spring... she didn't sign with Discraft until last month...) You have any idea how it feels to be humiliated... really, really, really bad... by a 19 year old girl?:(

http://discraft.com/team_pierce.html

I didn't know his name... just a great player that said he was from North Dakota...

Played the last four holes at Paschall Park in Mesquite, TX with this guy last year. His picture is on Innova's website...

http://www.innovadiscs.com/team/ambassadors/darrell-nodland.html

Parked a champ Firebird from the long tee on 17 like it was routine. Said he was in town on "business" and liked to play a lot. Nice guy... didn't "in your face, I'm great"... or act as if he was special at all. It was one of my Wednesday (day off) rounds.

And I thought I'd never played with (or even met) a pro...

(Except Paige Pierce from Plano that schooled me at Swanee... that was this spring... she didn't sign with Discraft until last month...) You have any idea how it feels to be humiliated... really, really, really bad... by a 19 year old girl?:(

http://discraft.com/team_pierce.html

Depends on if Swanee is wooded or not...if it's wooded you better have schooled you although on an open course she usually does well.

Depends on if Swanee is wooded or not...if it's wooded you better have schooled you although on an open course she usually does well.

It's open fairways with a few hidden baskets... it's also her home course.

She's a LOT better than me.

Last edited:
It's open fairways with a few hidden baskets... it's also her home course.

You can feel a little better then!

Better than being beaten by a 6 year old like some around Houston have experienced.

Who is Darrell Nodland and what does he do?

Something in the oil business. (Geologist) He really is that good, but he is quite busy. We are surprised he has time to still be designing courses here in ND and putting them in. Awesome guy. His local course gets tweaked by him now and then (Patterson Lake) and it is always a blast to see what he comes up with.