• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Define "Professional" Disc Golfer

First time I have EVER heard of Yogi Berra, Stan Musical, Willie Mays or Jim Palmer as a semi-pro.

But hey whatever floats your boat.

https://medium.com/buzzer-beater/when-ballplayers-had-offseason-jobs-66bba31cecb2
It sounds like Jim Palmer needed a second job because he made a decision to live beyond more-than-adequate means. He was at, with his regular salary alone, about $1000 beyond twice the federal poverty line for 1966 for a non-farming family of four. In 1947 the minimum MLB salary was 5000? I'm seeing the Sub Committee on Low Income Families in 1948 defining low income as $2000 for non-farming families.

So, you're right... I said players in the 1940s were likely not quite competing in a fully professional league - I was wrong, with regard to Major League Baseball. Clearly the Major Leagues were fully professional by the mid-1940s.

I don't think it can be as outcome based as this. If Paul's skills were to erode overnight to the point where he is scrapping for last cash at events is he no longer a professional?
I stated in an earlier post that making a living as a professional is not going to be purely defined by winnings - the base salary that makes most major league athletes professionals isn't defined by their wins and losses. His supplemental income from Discraft sponsorship definitely plays a role. But under the hypothetical circumstance you described - that would be a situation where he would rapidly be on his way to being referred to as a "former" professional disc golfer, and the way he earns would see him referred to as more of a promoter.

I suppose if the 2021 Tim Selinske US Masters champion, who has been playing MPO since 1995 and has the following stats

Career Events: 597
Career Wins: 174
Career Earnings: $169,344.87

isn't considered a professional disc golfer, then the number of professional disc golfers in the history of professional disc golf must be less than two dozen.

That works out to less than $6,800 per year.

The thing is, with the exception of a small minority, most open players do not get paid to play disc golf. Sure, they may win an event or seven, but their compensation is based purely on the how well they do or don't do.

To me, you're only a professional if you have a signed contract guaranteeing you money to play the sport. How many people can actually say that?

The thing is, with the exception of a small minority, most open players do not get paid to play disc golf. Sure, they may win an event or seven, but their compensation is based purely on the how well they do or don't do.

To me, you're only a professional if you have a signed contract guaranteeing you money to play the sport. How many people can actually say that?

Are you saying that players of individual competitive sports who do not have sponsorship contracts, but WIN (actually) millions of dollars each year aren't professionals? There are some out there btw. In tennis, golf, etc. -- without any guaranteed contract.

In my mind, for a player to be considered a "professional" disc golfer several criteria must be met. I think a player would need to meet 3 of these criteria.

1. Must make a certain amount in winnings per year...$5,000? or average that amount over 3 years.
2. Must be sponsored by a company or companies to play disc golf. (need not be disc golf companies)
3. Must "travel". (should a player who only plays in events on 2 or 3 courses within a 50 mile radius be considered a pro?)
4. Must play in 10 A tier events per year.
There are probably a few other criteria that could be considered.

The amounts ($5,000, 10 events, 50 miles) are just numbers I tossed out and may not be a good gauge for what most people would consider a professional player.

In my mind, for a player to be considered a "professional" disc golfer several criteria must be met. I think a player would need to meet 3 of these criteria.

1. Must make a certain amount in winnings per year...$5,000? or average that amount over 3 years.
2. Must be sponsored by a company or companies to play disc golf. (need not be disc golf companies)
3. Must "travel". (should a player who only plays in events on 2 or 3 courses within a 50 mile radius be considered a pro?)
4. Must play in 10 A tier events per year.
There are probably a few other criteria that could be considered.

The amounts ($5,000, 10 events, 50 miles) are just numbers I tossed out and may not be a good gauge for what most people would consider a professional player.

So if McBeth decided to play 9 events next year he is no longer a professional despite the fact he won them all?

You're a professional if you cash in a pro event. You might be a very poor professional, but professional doesn't equal talent or elite skill either.

So if McBeth decided to play 9 events next year he is no longer a professional despite the fact he won them all?

You're a professional if you cash in a pro event. You might be a very poor professional, but professional doesn't equal talent or elite skill either.

Can't believe your cowing to Big Disc Golf just like that.

Which 9 events? All small time C-tier w/maybe 40 players or ProTour stops with thousands?

If you accept cash as a prize at a sanctioned tournament you are a professional. Period.

Dumbest thread on DGCR and that is snot an easy accomplishment.

Which 9 events? All small time C-tier w/maybe 40 players or ProTour stops with thousands?

It's McBeth so I imagine only Majors and DGPT events.

Taking it to golf, Tiger Woods is making yet another comeback but said it will be a very limited basis. If he plays in 4 events next year is he no longer professional?

I was just poking a hole in the argument. If you cash in a pro event you are officially professional. Professional doesn't equal good though either. You could be two pro's at a C tier and beat the other guy who is 900 rated. Professional really only means you accepted cash for play.

I thought that you had to have some combination of education and formal industry experience to qualify for the Professional Disc Golfer exam.

Then if you pass the exam, you can register as a licensed P.D.G. in the state/municipality where you want to practice as a Professional Disc Golfer.

But the governing Board of Professional Disc Golfers may have additional requirements to maintain your P.D.G. license. In many cases that includes reapplying for extension every 2 years, and completing a certain amount of Professional Disc Golf Hours (PDGH) over that same timeframe.

I think image would have to be something to be worked in to this "Professional Disc Golfer" standard we are crowdsource developing here.

ie. Attitude during rounds. How you handle the public. Looking sharp on camera vs guy in jorts at the local rec league.

I thought that you had to have some combination of education and formal industry experience to qualify for the Professional Disc Golfer exam.

Then if you pass the exam, you can register as a licensed P.D.G. in the state/municipality where you want to practice as a Professional Disc Golfer.

But the governing Board of Professional Disc Golfers may have additional requirements to maintain your P.D.G. license. In many cases that includes reapplying for extension every 2 years, and completing a certain amount of Professional Disc Golf Hours (PDGH) over that same timeframe.

Those are some fancy words for Certified PDGA official. :)

Its basically a PDG license to compete on the major level.

Those are some fancy words for Certified PDGA official. :)

Its basically a PDG license to compete on the major level.

Certified official is a joke. You really don't have to know much about anything to pass the test. Just pay a little $. Just like you pay a little extra and check a box for your PDGA card to say professional.

Certified official is a joke. You really don't have to know much about anything to pass the test. Just pay a little $. Just like you pay a little extra and check a box for your PDGA card to say professional.

and it is an open book/website test. You don't even pay until you pass the test...then you are asked if you want to pay the $10 to be Certified.

Latest posts