• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Who is the next star in disc golf?

Eagle McMahon should have a break out season soon. Kid can bomb and putt with the best of them.

I'd like to see Chris Shotwell, Eagle McMahon and Thunder Schultz at the top of the sport in 5 years.

Just for their names.

Anthony barellA for sure, dude has a high ceiling and parents that play the game as well and are willing to travel. He has skills

I wouldn't call myself a "future star", but I would say I can probably play with the best at my age. I have played for about 4 years and turned 13 less than a week ago, but haven't played in many events. I measured throws yesterday of 360-390ft golf distance flat ground. My best skill is controlled drives from 250-300ft, and I am an average putter. Hopefully I can see how I match up against other juniors this year at am worlds

Barella definitely. He throws like 500ft and putts just as good.

James Proctor, from northern CA, he just turned 20, huge arm, and all the other stuff, can play on a lead card with anybody, and still progressing.

If he ever decides to tour outside northern CA, you will see him on the leaderboard at big events.

Good for the sport, clean cut, nice guy.

James Proctor, from northern CA, he just turned 20, huge arm, and all the other stuff, can play on a lead card with anybody, and still progressing.

If he ever decides to tour outside northern CA, you will see him on the leaderboard at big events.

Good for the sport, clean cut, nice guy.

I was just about to post Proctor in here. He was tied with Wysocki after the first round at the St Patrick's Classic - Pro this weekend and is only 3 back going into the final round tomorrow. I wouldn't be surprised if his rating bumped up into the 1025-1030 range this year.

I have played with both Anthony Barela and Eagle McMahon. Both are going to give McBeth and Wysocki a run for their money.

Also, if Joe Rovere ever gets to traveling a bit more, he will make those guys look normal. 3rd at Vibram last year was just a sneek peek.

-Both are BAD. I recall throwing drives with my fastest discs before a tourney about 4yrs ago and was feeling pretty good about my throws when Eagle steps up (Before Puberty took hold) and adds a third to my throws with a buzz-

Was on an Int card with Joe and Eagle playing in front of us today in Fort Collins and they were incredible. Hope they can both start touring more nationally.

...(edit, never played w anthony) Joe has done things on my home course that very few others (<4) have in terms of placement and score on holes.

I'm going to peer intom my crystal ball and say that when Nate and Val Doss decide to start a family, that child is going to be pretty darn good at disc golf.

We also have some very talented juniors here in Colorado as well.
While I think Eagle McMahon will be a big star in the future, the generation of discers after him show great promise as well. One is Drew Palmer. Just turned 13 and can blast. He was playing Rec at age 10 and is now playing MA2. He's on the lead card this weekend at a large C-Tier and he's already sponsored by Lat and Top Card. Much like Eagle, I can see Drew playing Open before he graduates high school if he keeps this up.

There's also the Klein sisters in the Denver area. They still play the junior divisions but I can easily see them being some of the top pro ladies within 6 or 7 years if they keep it up.

And that's just in my area. I know there is tons of other talented juniors out there across the country and the world. South Korea has more junior players than I've seen anywhere else thanks to the huge efforts of Kim Sung Bae. He's a great coach and I could see them making an international impact in the coming years as well.

Was on an Int card with Joe and Eagle playing in front of us today in Fort Collins and they were incredible. Hope they can both start touring more nationally.

Yup, eagle can crush and his course managment is only getting better. The layout we played today was tough. Joe still had everone by 10 after 3 rounds.

Joe is the only guy I have played against that I don't think "if only I made all my putts inside 25 and didn't go ob that once I would have been right there"... he is a machine.

That said Joe has said he expects Eagle to start beating him regularly any time.

I hope to God Eagle McMahon becomes world champion - that name is just too perfect for disc golf not too....Move over Tiger - this ain't no nickname, this is the real deal!

Eagle's signed up for some big tournaments this year - so we should get to see him play with the big dogs.

And there is some slow motion footage of Eagle bombing some warm up shots from about 5 months ago. Definition of power transfer.

Yup, if I were a betting man, my money is with James Proctor to be the next big star. Not only is his game unbelievable, but his disposition and mental game are as good as I've witnessed in the sport.

And there is some slow motion footage of Eagle bombing some warm up shots from about 5 months ago. Definition of power transfer.

Reminds me a lot of Schusterick, except Eagle's back is arched a little more forwards a little through the hit. Beautiful drive off the back foot --> hip rotation --> brace and explode.

At the memorial he was keeping up with Simon shot for shot in the distance comp. Their averages were similar, but Simon got a hold of one and put it a bit past Eagles longest.

Also watching that video, Jerome has a huge forehand. He didn't use it a ton in the round I was on his card this weekend, but he surprised me when he pulled it out.

Last edited: