• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Why are Wizards so dang hard to find right now?

Clearwater disc golf store has abunch of Wizard's many of the same kind I found a black SSS Wizard fell in love with it when to the store found another black one just like the one i found.

Yeah Nikko has "peace sign" stamped discs which are very nice. I believe Nikko is currently using black organic Wizard which is similar to SS. I just checked http://nikkodiscgolf.com and he says he used black medium Wizard at Vibram Open which I guess it was his flavor of the week.

Ive only been to the marketplace once and it looked to be mostly just collector stuff to me, which is why I didnt even think to check there.

There are lots of stock discs, common plastic, and throwers in the marketplace. Usually available pretty cheap (below retail). Worst-case scenario, just post a
icon_wanted.gif
thread.

sswizard.jpg

Whats wrong with 'Eraser' color? haha
When I bought 5 new ss wizards from DiscGolfCenter.com they sent 5 orange discs. I think the only other colors I've seen were black, blue & a cream white Jerry model.

Yeah Nikko has "peace sign" stamped discs which are very nice. I believe Nikko is currently using black organic Wizard which is similar to SS. I just checked http://nikkodiscgolf.com and he says he used black medium Wizard at Vibram Open which I guess it was his flavor of the week.

yea i actually met nikko yesterday, pretty damn cool if you ask me (never been to a major disc event or anything fyi). hes playing in the yetter at tyler state park in PA and was getting a practice round in with paige..black wizard in hand:thmbup:

I am actually having a hard time finding a 175 ss Wizard in something other that the dang eraser color. Am I just looking in the wrong spot? Are they slowing down production on them? What??

looking for illegal discs huh ;)

I'd do the gateway deal if I were you. I have 7 Blue HPP Evo putters in 174-175 and I got them at less than 8$ a piece. Just send them an e-mail saying exactly what they want, and their store clerk will get them out to you. These dark blue HPPs are money if you like flex putters that can handle hitting trees off drives.

I tried a challenger for putting. But the diameter is larger than the Wizard & it was a little too floppy for me. But I did like the feel of the plastic. It was like buttah! :thmbup:
According to the PDGA specs the diameter is exactly the same (21.0 cm). And if it's too soft for you, maybe don't get a Soft Challenger next time? =)

I'll be adding some more Wizards to the marketplace tonight. I think I've got about 19 of them left.

What's the deal with the medium, s, ss, sss stuff? Do the just get softer as they go along?

What's the deal with the medium, s, ss, sss stuff? Do the just get softer as they go along?

Medium is hard, Soft is slightly softer, SS softerer, SSS is comparable to R-Pro

Though, it's not an exact science. There are S's that are softer than SS's, and to be honest, when I felt up my first SS I was surprised at the hardness. I expected the SS to be R-Pro like, and SSS to be like a really beat R-Pro, but that wasn't the case.

Egads...read this, especially this: "It is important to note that the marketing of our putter plastic variations is not just based on flexibility, but also on surface complexion and surface hardness."
Understand this: Every wizard is like a snowflake. The type also affects how much more flexy it gets as it beats in...

Last edited:
Funny, I live in STL and stopped by the warehouse on Friday. There was a rack 8 feet tall and 20 feet long full of various wizards. From the HPP evolution plastic, down to the SSS. They are still running the 5 discs for $40, and 10 discs for $70. Any disc, any plastic.

According to the PDGA specs the diameter is exactly the same (21.0 cm). And if it's too soft for you, maybe don't get a Soft Challenger next time? =)

Yeah,i switched to challengers because of the similarity to a wizard, and if you have a too soft challenger send it to me!

Egads...read this, especially this: "It is important to note that the marketing of our putter plastic variations is not just based on flexibility, but also on surface complexion and surface hardness."
Understand this: Every wizard is like a snowflake. The type also affects how much more flexy it gets as it beats in...

Still trying to break the misconceptions, eh? Save your breath. I found people would rather complain than accept that line of thinking. At this point I figure it just leaves more variety for Dave to send me exactly what I want. My SSS's flightplate (my first Wizard and pure putter) has softened nicely (more like what people seem to think they should be), but the rim is still firm. It's just about perfect after two years of putting. More than just putting would bring them inline much earlier than that.

To the OP, there are three beautiful black max weight Soft Wizards for sale in the marketplace. Hop on them tonight and get a better deal (not even my sale thread). After some playing time with them, they'll soften up closer to SS and stay that way.

Last edited: