• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why can't I throw stable drivers?

progolfer33

Bogey Member
So, I have a Star Wraith, and I cannot throw it very well at all. My Star TL goes just the same distance while being much more accurate. I feel like I have the arm potential to throw the big drivers as I can unleash my TL up to 380' (it's a speed 7). What's the deal?

P.S. I throw the TL dead straight and my max distance on the Wraith comes with a big anny.

Well the Wraith is an understable disc...the bigger I try to throw mine, the greater amount of annie as well. I would say it's ether a technique flaw...or characteristic, depending on how you look at it:)
While most will tell you that form is key, i will also add that maybe a more overstable disc that's a touch slower would help you out on your drives.....I'm thinking a TeeRx or Starfire might work out a little better for you...but yeah, that Wraith, you give it a touch of annie and that's where it's going!

It probably has to do with nose angle. The Wraith requires more nose down than the TL to fly well. Slower discs, like the TL, require more height to get the same distance as faster discs like the Wraith. TL's are also pretty long. I've heard of big arms thowing them in distance competitions.

I'd expect the TL to be more accurate no matter how far you're throwing.

Learn a hyzer flip. If you are annying a wraith, then you should try a hyzer flip to get maximum distance.

Hyzer-flip and its cousin the flex shot are very good throws to develop. I started learning the H-F with a leopard which turns over easily, moved to a Sidewinder and then started throwing T rexes. Throwing a hyzer flip really means commiting to a hyzer angle and release point with a fast hit. It takes a few hundred throws to get this down, but you'll learn about disc flight and your own arm speed in the process. The Wraith flips and ess's pretty easily, but for me, it just needs to much room to work...

Learning your relative arm speed is a big key in choosing a disc off the tee.

A short cut ( lol) to learning your arm speed is field practice with all your discs. Line 'em up...low speed putters, midranges fairway drivers and high speed drivers and throw them at a target about 275. The catch is...no walk up or x step. Results may vary widely in conflict with your expectations. That experiment can be followed up with another....a one step throw. Do those for a couple a days with all your discs and then start tweeking your grip with putters and midranges ( fan grip / pinch grip / power grip ) and you'll have a lot of feedback to your personal throwing style.

Because you suck. Just kidding. I'm assuming that your Wraith is too stable or fast for you since you get the most distance via a big anny. Nose angle can be a b!tch as Garublador said check that as well. I'd speed down and get a Valk if I were you. Oh, and if you can throw a TL accurately for 380' what the hell do you need the Wraith for? Got a lot of 600' holes to bomb on or something?

Well the Wraith is an understable disc...

who in the hell told you this?!?!? i dont know what weight your throwing but ive never owned a "understable" wraith....time for someone to look at the flight charts again. a wraith is A LOT more stable than a TL, and a lot faster too...

Heres my evidence, if you dont believe my personal experiences

Flight Chart

So, I have a Star Wraith, and I cannot throw it very well at all. My Star TL goes just the same distance while being much more accurate. I feel like I have the arm potential to throw the big drivers as I can unleash my TL up to 380' (it's a speed 7). What's the deal?

P.S. I throw the TL dead straight and my max distance on the Wraith comes with a big anny.

380' dead straight with a TL sounds good to me ;) For me, the Wraith is one of those discs that is better after a nice break in period. After I lost my perfectly beat Star Wraith I bought a new one and it flew nothing like the one I lost. I then bought a Z Surge SS and it flew even better than my beat in Wraith without having to go through the beat-in period. So yeah, I'd say try a Surge SS. The disc is amazing.

who in the hell told you this?!?!? i dont know what weight your throwing but ive never owned a "understable" wraith....time for someone to look at the flight charts again. a wraith is A LOT more stable than a TL, and a lot faster too...

Flight Chart

innova's flight chart

innova website said:
About the Wraith
The Wraith is a long stable Distance Driver with speed, glide and accuracy. This Wraith can provide great distance for players of all skill levels. It is an excellent down wind driver that also performs predictably into the wind. The Star Wraith is the driver of choice for 12 time World Champion Ken Climo. The Wraith is available in all of our plastic types: DX, Pro, Champion and Star.

and the high speed turn rating is -1

just to be the devil's advocate...

fade has nothing to do with the stability ratings, the high speed turn(or lack there of) is how innova chooses how to describe whether its over,under,or stable. The TL is slightly overstable which if you read the website the name TL means "less overstable" or "longer" .So when XXinnovaXX said the wraith is more stable than the TL hes right, although and dont think thats how he meant it .

btw when you say one overstable disc is more stable than another thats means its "less" overstable not more overstable.

Now I'm confused.
alot of people(including pros) only use the word stable to describe the difference between 2 discs. example-this disc is more(less) stable than that disc . but when your talking about a disc that is overstable or understable saying its more stable means its closer to the middle(stable) and what they need to say sometimes is this disc is more or less overstable ( or understable ) cause what there saying is actually the opposite of what they mean.

some people would say an x-caliber is more stable than a starfire because the x-caliber is more overstable but what they mean to say is the x-caliber is more overstable because saying a x-caliber is more stable would mean it is closer to stable than the starfire which is not true the starfire is more stable.

when i said fade had nothing to do with the stability ratings i meant classifaction(over,under,stable) not ratings ,also fade does factor in which disc is more overstable but does not factor in whether a disc is overstable or not thats where turn comes in . usaully a disc with not alot of turn but alot of fade would be considered stable along with a disc with no turn or fade . :confused::)

Last edited:
Whoever says a Wraith is understable hasn't thrown a Wraith. I have the same problem the OP has with it.. I have to throw it with a big anny to start and it still won't go straight for any distance.

Flight Chart

I read that and was thinking the same thing. I have found the Champ Wraiths to be very overstable.

alot of people(including pros) only use the word stable to describe the difference between 2 discs. example-this disc is more(less) stable than that disc . but when your talking about a disc that is overstable or understable saying its more stable means its closer to the middle(stable) and what they need to say sometimes is this disc is more or less overstable ( or understable ) cause what there saying is actually the opposite of what they mean.

Still confused. I thought the overstable discs were the more stable discs. Isn't a disc that is less overstable than another disc closer to being stable? Why would a disc that's less overstable than another disc actually be considered more stable? For that matter why would a disc thats stable or understable be considered more stable than an overstable disc?

I don't understand at all.

Still confused. I thought the overstable discs were the more stable discs. Isn't a disc that is less overstable than another disc closer to being stable? Why would a disc that's less overstable than another disc actually be considered more stable? For that matter why would a disc thats stable or understable be considered more stable than an overstable disc?

I don't understand at all.

You just confused me with that last post.

Lets start over.

What exactly are you looking for in a disc?

Latest posts