• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do 800+ rated players play Novice?

Chucker60

Birdie Member
Looking over a schedule of upcoming tournaments, maybe (huge maybe) thinking of signing up for my 1st one. Noticed not many offer a Novice division but also looking at past results I see several players rated over 800 playing in the Novice division. Some of them have a better rating than players in the Rec division. This makes me not want to sign up; what's the motivation for an 800+ player playing Novice? Getting crushed by 25 to 30 shots per round is not my idea of fun. Seems like it would just be a totally humiliating experience for me.

Looking over a schedule of upcoming tournaments, maybe (huge maybe) thinking of signing up for my 1st one. Noticed not many offer a Novice division but also looking at past results I see several players rated over 800 playing in the Novice division. Some of them have a better rating than players in the Rec division. This makes me not want to sign up; what's the motivation for an 800+ player playing Novice? Getting crushed by 25 to 30 shots per round is not my idea of fun. Seems like it would just be a totally humiliating experience for me.

Got to start somewhere. But, with new players the ratings are usually based on just a few rounds, so you can't make much assessment based on ratings in that case.

Additionally, playing a tournament is very different than a casual round, particularly for new players.

I encourage you to play a tournament. I recommend you considering the MA50 or MA60–I'm assuming the 60 is your age.

If that's incorrect, I wouldn't recommend MA40. Lot of guys that could be playing open in that crowd.

Also, I think most divisions are typically available, you just have to choose what you think appropriate at sign up.

"Novice" is, perhaps, somewhat poorly named as a tournament division. This division is also officially named "MA4" (Mixed Amateur 4), and it might be better referenced in that way. That is the name of the tier you would see on your PDGA member profile if you chose to register with the PDGA and play a tournament at that level. It is not actually restricted to people who have only been playing for a little while. The only restriction is that you have a player rating under 850.

In any case, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to expect yourself to compete with someone with a rating of 849, and I would encourage you not to think of it that way. I played in my first tournament, a single round event, after playing for roughly a year, and I played a 767 rated round. There was no MA4 division and I was playing in MA3. The only person I bested in score was, I think, 9 years old.

This year I played in a singles league, again in MA3, and my only goal was to get my rating over 800. It was nice to technically finish in second place in the division overall, but that had more to do with showing up more weeks than most other people.

I was most happy that I got my rating to 815 and shot an 884 round the last week of league, which was on a course that suited my length off the tee. In earlier weeks, on much longer blue and white level layouts, I shot 772 and 775. At this point I've been playing regularly for almost 3 years, and you can see I am still eligible to play in MA4.

It's worth noting that the ratings of people who participated in MA3 were all over the place. Everywhere from 737 to 878. MA4 also had quite a mix, from someone without a rating who shot a 567 to a player with several years of tournament experience, having played in dozens in 2021 and 2022, who has an 838 rating.

Point being, don't get hung up on the divisions or their names. Just set personal goals. Everyone will understand, and no one is likely to give you anything other than comradery and support when you roll up to that first tee and say you are nervous to play in your first sanctioned round.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I just don't get why someone with a few years experience, that has played and competed in Rec several events, and earned a rating of 810 or 825 or 840 or whatever would want to drop back to play Novice events. And it's not about me expecting to compete with them, its why would they want to compete at the lowest level? What do they expect to get out of it? Other than kicking everyone's butt.
And txmxer, No I'm not 60 but maybe one day I'll make it that far. 60 is my good luck or good karma number.

Thanks for the replies. I just don't get why someone with a few years experience, that has played and competed in Rec several events, and earned a rating of 810 or 825 or 840 or whatever would want to drop back to play Novice events.

Remember, not every tournament even has an MA4 division. it is quite possible that someone has played a tournament in MA3 simply because there was no MA4 tier available. They aren't necessarily "dropping back", they are just always registering for the lowest tier available.

Or, it's possible that they did not realize that the cutoff for MA4 is 849. They may have mistakenly believe that an 800+ rating meant that they had to play in MA3. Once they realized this was not true, they may have subsequently started registering MA4 again.

Or, they might have thought that there was a time limit for how long they could stay in MA4 and then realized that this is also not true.

Basically, the key thing is just that anyone under an 850 rating is allowed to register in MA4. As I said, I don't think the "Novice" designation for a tournament tier gave you the right initial impression, and if you can pretend you never heard it, you might be able to see this in a different way.

Yeah it's kinda sand bagging. We've got a few people that are known to the TD's and won't let em sign up for those divisions. I get hassled for my past performances,

"Hey you're signing up for pro?"
"No, MA40"

I usually poop it the first round and then they don't complain -2 then I follow it with a redemption round hopefully, like today at -16. Which is my best, that I haven't done for 10yrs.. Last year was par and -10.

I dont like sand baggers, I try not to be one.. The year (10yrs ago) I won I blew the competition out of signing up for advanced men, I would have been 3rd in pro.. Best two solo rounds of my life back to back for a tourney.

Play against yourself, don't plan on winning, see what happens and don't begrudge others if you don't know the story. If they're winning all the time and they don't move up they're sand baggers hate on brother!

I found out not every tournament has Novice when looking for one to play in. But I firmly believe Novice is where I belong so I'm not even considering Rec because those guys are way beyond my ability.
To me the cutoff for Novice should be changed, should be more like 749 in my opinion. It's a division that should be catered towards beginners and unrated newbies like myself. Just my 2 cents.

Why do 900+ rated players play intermediate? Because they have no chance of winning in Advanced.

Why do 850+ rated players play rec? Because they have no chance of winning in intermediate.

Playing your rating is not sandbagging unless you are taking extra throws on purpose to intentionally lower your rating.

Why do 900+ rated players play intermediate? Because they have no chance of winning in Advanced.

Why do 850+ rated players play rec? Because they have no chance of winning in intermediate.

Playing your rating is not sandbagging unless you are taking extra throws on purpose to intentionally lower your rating.

Based on this, real novice players like me shouldn't even bother playing- because I'm not beating anyone in any division.

Based on this, real novice players like me shouldn't even bother playing- because I'm not beating anyone in any division.

Everyone who plays tournaments, was a "real novice" once. You gotta start somewhere, without a guarantee that the "somewhere" means winning, or a realistic chance to.

You gotta start somewhere, without a guarantee that the "somewhere" means winning, or a realistic chance to.
I realize that; I just never thought I'd have to start off by playing experienced good players with an 840 rating. I suspect thats got to be very emasculating.

One thing you have to contend with as a low rated player at tournaments is a sentiment from some more skilled players that you shouldn't be there. Just ask the low rated female players, a lot of others resent them slowing down the tournament with all their extra throws. Plus tournaments fill up fast these days, and they think it's a spot wasted on you when their much more skilled friend didn't get in. That's just the reality you will have to contend with.

One thing you have to contend with as a low rated player at tournaments is a sentiment from some more skilled players that you shouldn't be there. Just ask the low rated female players, a lot of others resent them slowing down the tournament with all their extra throws. Plus tournaments fill up fast these days, and they think it's a spot wasted on you when their much more skilled friend didn't get in. That's just the reality you will have to contend with.
Well that sucks; Really getting me excited to go play now :|

I entered my first tournament last year and only have five sanctioned events under my belt so essentially I'm pretty much new to the whole tournament thing.

All of my experiences so far have been positive and enjoyable.

I say go for it and see what you think of the experience.

Don't go into with any big expectations and just play your game and have fun and see how it plays out.

Play for the experience and to set/meet goals for yourself. Don't worry about placing or what other people are doing. What they do is not something you can control, nor will it have any meaningful effect on your game.

If anyone gives you a hard time for being in the novice division and taking the place of a "more deserving" player, then you shouldn't waste time or mental energy trying to address the obvious problems that they have.

For some mental fortitude w/r/t entering a competition, try reading the excerpt of Roosevelt's speech called "The Man in the Arena."

Or think of the saying that a black belt is just a white belt that never gave up.

Or find whatever gets you in the mindset that your effort in the process of improvement is enough, and block out everything else.

Novice/Rec are most often 'trophy only'/true amateur where there isn't a payout in my area. Entry fees are less and you'll walk away with a player's pack. Your entry pays for the tournament experience and a PDGA sanctioned event can allow you to gain a measure of your skills and where they fall via a rating.

C-tiers (2 rounds on 1 day & 1 round flex starts) and leagues are a both good places to start since they do not require a PDGA membership. I'd recommend trying them out to see if you enjoy the experience. The ratings for those rounds would still be visible and could be linked up to a PDGA membership after the fact.

That sucks. I hope it's not the new normal when tournaments are filling in 2 minutes from being posted.

I will say that I played in a flex start recently with players rated from 948 to 685, where scores ranged from 70 to 115, and the two higher rated players didn't give me or Jessica anything other than support. That's been my overall experience, so I hope that you get a little luck and are able to experience that as well.

Latest posts