• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do 800+ rated players play Novice?

I just looked at other threads and realized how new the OP really is to the game.

I'd just focus on playing some rounds for a while. Learn to hit fairways, learn to get up and down from different distances, learn to hit short putts. It will all come together.

I think I played for probably three or more years before I felt my game and my skill set was even close to the point where I felt I wanted to compete in a sanctioned event.

Had I signed up for a tournament in any division in the first year of my journey I'm sure I would have been the back of the box whipping boy for the entire event.

Waiting for my game to develop to the point where I was content with my play was the path I chose to take.

As a TD...if I heard someone say this I would be seriously pissed off. You play in whatever effing division you qualify for. I might even be tempted to pull that individual aside and tell them to STFU or something along the lines of, "You're throwing round pieces of plastic in a park so be patient with the lower rated players and get over yourself."

I have never heard a player gripe about playing in a tournament with a lower rated player. If anything I have heard the opposite, people being glad for all the donators to juice the prizes.

I have heard people gripe about players that do not follow rules or etiquette. I don't think these things follow your rating. Plenty of good players that will walk around or talk during your putt. If you are new and honestly don't realize that distracting people during a throw is bad, I'm hoping you can catch on pretty quickly.

The lower rated player gripe that I've seen, which I think is 100% justified, is...

-Registration opens for A/B pool event.
-There are x number of spots for MA1, MA2, MA3, MA4, etc.
-MA4 eligible player signs up for MA1/MA2 and MA1/MA2 player gets waitlisted for a tourney with open slots in MA4.

...but I want those 600 rated players to sign up for MA4. Helps me maybe win a disc or something.

I haven't either but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

The whole idea runs counter to what DG is supposed to be, and I'd be defending the good name of anyone being treated so poorly, if someone had the audacity to say anything out loud to the group/card...OP, do not consider the possibility that this could happen to you. That would be a complete anomaly.

I think it's fantastic advice to find a league to play in. One of the best types of leagues for this kind of thing is a weekly random doubles tournament somewhere. Here in the Charlotte area, I know of at least 3 of them that run every Sunday. I'm sure there are more, and I know some occur on weeknights during the summer...In your town, or close by, you should be able to find something, is what I'm getting at.

These are non-sanctioned, competitive-but-casual rounds that tend to do a lot of good things for newer players: As some have mentioned, it's good to learn some of the etiquette peculiar to our game; to learn where you *really* stand in relation to other players, both experienced and not-so; to see just how friendly and helpful most disc golfers are; and to just watch other people throw. You can learn a lot by simple observation - balance, swing speed, arm angles; disc selection, power management, and scrambling shot types (overhead tomahawks or thumbers, for instance). You might be surprised how quickly your game will improve just by figuring out that a well-placed, smooth 5- or 7-speed disc is allmost always a better option than a 10-speed whipped out there with abandon...
And in dubs, you're not always throwing from your trouble - the partner is there for you, just as you will be for him or her when you have the chance. It's supposed to be fun, and it tends to me more-so in these formats.

My first sanctioned singles tournament, I registerd in MA-40 even though I was 50 years old. My thought was to play against younger dudes because I still have all my hair and I don't lather up with Ben Gay before a round. :D Plus, I think (or thought, anyway) that I was a pretty good player. No rating at all going into that one, so I was as low as I could go.

Boy, was that a mistake. Four rounds over two days, and I came in dead last in my division. It was humbling, but nowhere near emasculating. I made some really bad decisions over that weekend, and had the First Tourney Yips something fierce. In the begininng, I thought for sure I'd place somewhere near the top, because...EGO. And what I learned overall is that sometimes, having the ego destroyed is the best thing that can happen. Just ask Starlord!

Biggest recommendation for the OP, or anyone on the fence: join the local club, find out where they have random dubs, and go do it! You'll feel some nerves, for sure. But you'll get over those after a couple of holes. And...You might even win a little cash. :thmbup:

I think you are spot on with most of what you are saying EarthRocker

One of the best types of leagues for this kind of thing is a weekly random doubles tournament somewhere.

I'm going to disagree with this part of the suggestion, most especially if you struggle with length off the tee. If you literally can't get within 50 feet of most of the pins on your best throw, it can be extremely hard to feel like you are contributing much of anything in random dubs.

Yes, sometime random dubs are played on courses beginners/actual noodle arms can reach, but frequently they are not (and it seems like there aren't any course local to the OP that have Red/Green level tees). You end up watching 3 people go 320 off the tee, up near the green, and you are 150 and in the rough. You go find your disc and pick it up. You wonder why you are bothering to throw off the tee at all. It can be a very disheartening experience.

Of course, everyone's approach/mindset is different, but based on what OP has been saying , I'm not sure random dubs would end up feeling like a good experience.

I'm going to disagree with this part of the suggestion, most especially if you struggle with length off the tee. If you literally can't get within 50 feet of most of the pins on your best throw, it can be extremely hard to feel like you are contributing much of anything in random dubs.

As a decent player with ~400' distance, I would take a partner with a noodle arm that is magic inside the circle 10 out of 10 times.

I think you are spot on with most of what you are saying EarthRocker

Yes, sometime random dubs are played on courses beginners/actual noodle arms can reach, but frequently they are not (and it seems like there aren't any course local to the OP that have Red/Green level tees). You end up watching 3 people go 320 off the tee, up near the green, and you are 150 and in the rough. You go find your disc and pick it up. You wonder why you are bothering to throw off the tee at all. It can be a very disheartening experience.

Of course, everyone's approach/mindset is different, but based on what OP has been saying , I'm not sure random dubs would end up feeling like a good experience.
Lol, I remember the first time I cashed in random dubs. Good old Tim, he was sooooooo mad when he drew me as a partner. He figured his day was over. He didn't say a word to me the entire round, he just glared at me. We used two of my shots during an entire round, the rest of the way he just rage-birdied his way around the course. The first time he smiled and looked like he was having any fun at all was when they handed him cash and told him he won. He left and still didn't say anything to me. It was very much not worth however much money I won.

The second time I won the guy was chill and said "we got this" from the beginning. He did some weird things like deciding to use my shorter shot because he liked the look from there more than his shot, stuff like that. He also alternated the putting so sometimes I was putting second, and I made at least one putt after he had missed. It was like actual dubs. I made the putt on the last hole and we won by one; after we found out we won he went "you made the winning putt" like it was a big deal or something. That round was fun.

So it kinda depends.

If you literally can't get within 50 feet of most of the pins on your best throw, it can be extremely hard to feel like you are contributing much of anything in random dubs.

Depends on the course. Sometimes just putting your drive in the fairway frees up your partner to go for birdie. Sometimes a solid putt and approach game can keep your team in the mix.

Anyway, dubs is generally more casual than tournaments, which makes dubs a much friendlier introduction to competitive play.

As a decent player with ~400' distance, I would take a partner with a noodle arm that is magic inside the circle 10 out of 10 times.

Yup. I am a mediocre player at best, but I have been on winning dubs teams with a big-arm partner if my putt and approach game is working. Sometimes even when it isn't. ;)

Last edited:
If I have a dubs partner that can't throw that far, I'll usually ask them to throw a safe shot so that I can try a ridiculous low percentage line.

Well, that may certainly be so, but it's not what is on offer.

The question is, how do you feel about a partner who throws max 150 without much accuracy, doesn't know any rescue shot throws, sweats every 15 footer, misses the occasional 10 footer and doesn't make anything outside of 20 except once in a blue moon? The typical newly minted sub-800, even sub-700 rated player.

And, more to the point, can you think how you might feel being that player and showing up to random dubs? Can you imagine that this might be a negative experience?

I get what you're saying, Rastnav. It doesn't take much sometimes to get the stink-eye from someone who takes it a little *too* seriously.

In my experience, those instances are rare, but they do happen. And the rest of us tend to roll our eyes and make apologies for the Offender. "Don't mind that guy. He doesn't play well with others." Or, "He really needed the gas money." That kind of thing.

I think it's much more common for people to support and encourage the players that are clearly not super-experienced. Like we've all been saying in here: with experience will come good things. And the only way to get that experience is to just show up, grit your teeth, and jump in. As with many things, the reality is rarely as bad as we think it's going to be ahead of time.

Since league and doubles have been mentioned, I'd like to point out that my first "competitive" delve into disc golf was with a local tags match.

Probably the most laid back form of disc golf competition out there besides casual rounds with friends.

My home course has a group of guys who are pretty good and I pretty much always went home with a worse tag than I came in with but the number on my tag really made no difference to me. The experience of playing with guys randomly week after week who were better than me taught me a lot. Sometimes they would give me tips or pointers and sometimes just watching things like their choice of discs or the lines they took really helped me mold my game. Everyone was always chill and friendly- probably because they knew I wasn't going to take their precious tag anyways.

The question is, how do you feel about a partner who throws max 150 without much accuracy, doesn't know any rescue shot throws, sweats every 15 footer, misses the occasional 10 footer and doesn't make anything outside of 20 except once in a blue moon? The typical newly minted sub-800, even sub-700 rated player.

And, more to the point, can you think how you might feel being that player and showing up to random dubs? Can you imagine that this might be a negative experience?

I have played a lot of random dubs in my life (probably my favorite DG format) and I honestly don't care. Some of my best rounds have been with terrible players, some of my worst rounds with good players. Do I choose to play with the worst guy in the field? No, but as long as I am aware they suck and I plan to carry the team, I am usually pleasantly surprised when we are able to take a couple of their shots. The key to dubs is communication. If you suck, tell me that in advance, and be willing to throw placement shots in the fairway to advance our team instead of doing wild shots hoping to outthrow me and prove your worth. If you are a terrible putter tell me and be willing to drop your putt at the pole so I can make a run at it without fear.

I would say that if your skill level impedes your ability to have fun in dubs it is something inside your own head that you can and should work out on your own.

I get what you're saying, Rastnav. It doesn't take much sometimes to get the stink-eye from someone who takes it a little *too* seriously.

In my experience, those instances are rare, but they do happen. And the rest of us tend to roll our eyes and make apologies for the Offender. "Don't mind that guy. He doesn't play well with others." Or, "He really needed the gas money." That kind of thing.

I think it's much more common for people to support and encourage the players that are clearly not super-experienced. Like we've all been saying in here: with experience will come good things. And the only way to get that experience is to just show up, grit your teeth, and jump in. As with many things, the reality is rarely as bad as we think it's going to be ahead of time.

It depends on the OP.

If you are worried about how people will treat you if you aren't as good? Don't.

However, if you are the super competitive type and you hate being in an environment where everyone is better than you? Then maybe work on your game for a while. Leagues and tourneys will be there for you when you are ready.

It might suck for that player...sure. There is also a WIDE variety of random dubs leagues that occur. I play in one in our small town where OP would probably have a blast and probably would have 5 players who were in the same boat as them.

Even the more serious leagues around here that do random doubles are pretty welcoming to newcomers.

I also play with these players sometimes in doubles league...there are enough good players in the league that I know once I draw that partner that we aren't going to win. My best advice for that kind of player is "make the round fun for your partner". High 5s, positive attitude (honestly the worst is playing with someone terrible who misses every putt and after each miss says "oh man, I'm playing so bad, I usually make those"), be willing to throw the safer shots, etc. Understand that if you have a good partner, that partner knows they aren't going to win with you and is looking to have a good time instead hopefully. Also understand that in most doubles leagues of say 40 (which is our size) it doesn't matter much if you're #40 or #20...most of the time the winners are going to be 2 better players who got a good draw to match up with. I'd rather player with #40 who is fun than #20 who isn't good enough to help us win but won't be fun at all.

It's also a good place to either meet people you can play more casual rounds with...or to meet better players who might be willing to give you a tip or two. Honestly one of my favorite things with those kinds of rounds is trying to help newer players find a good disc for themselves depending on what they throw currently. What better time to try out something new?

One other thing Dingus made me think of here...

There are almost *always* newer, not-so-great players at the dubs events I attend. They, and everyone else, know it. And maybe a few of the better players do think something like, "Welp, I got X for a partner, so I guess we're out of the money today." But it doesn't stop either of them from playing hard and enjoying the day, or each other's company. I see more smiles on those cards...
No one's trying to get rich out there, and there are no points or ratings involved. Nothing but fun and camaraderie.

"I am he, as you are he, as you are me, and we are all together..." :D

One other thing Dingus made me think of here...

There are almost *always* newer, not-so-great players at the dubs events I attend. They, and everyone else, know it. And maybe a few of the better players do think something like, "Welp, I got X for a partner, so I guess we're out of the money today." But it doesn't stop either of them from playing hard and enjoying the day, or each other's company. I see more smiles on those cards...
No one's trying to get rich out there, and there are no points or ratings involved. Nothing but fun and camaraderie.

"I am he, as you are he, as you are me, and we are all together..." :D

Also, honestly, as one of the better players in our league: If I get a pretty terrible player as my draw and know we aren't going to win, it frees me up to throw a lot more ace runs and try to hit the ace pot.

In all honesty, I'm probably NOT playing hard...which is kind of freeing.

It depends on the OP.

If you are worried about how people will treat you if you aren't as good? Don't.

However, if you are the super competitive type and you hate being in an environment where everyone is better than you? Then maybe work on your game for a while. Leagues and tourneys will be there for you when you are ready.

There is much truth here. :thmbup:

I guess my bottom line is that casual dubs seems like a great way to work on your game, learn some valuable stuff, and get over the worry of what other players think, all in one go, pretty much.

Put another way: casual dubs is like penicillin for the dis-ease of being new to all of it...

Oh, alright. I'll stop now.

I dare say your perspective is pretty out of touch. I suggest you stop worrying about other players. Most of us that play, do so for the competition. But, we don't feel entitled to a good result. We are not owed success. I suggest going out and making joy out of competing against the course and your own game. See where the results get you and revel in the success of your card-mates and your progress. MA4 is for players with a rating under 850, not a rating under yours. NOBODY should ever feel bad about playing their ratings.

Definition of sandbagger........all those who beat me, within my division.

Latest posts