• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do 800+ rated players play Novice?

I dare say your perspective is pretty out of touch. I suggest you stop worrying about other players. Most of us that play, do so for the competition. But, we don't feel entitled to a good result. We are not owed success. I suggest going out and making joy out of competing against the course and your own game. See where the results get you and revel in the success of your card-mates and your progress. MA4 is for players with a rating under 850, not a rating under yours. NOBODY should ever feel bad about playing their ratings.
You are totally misreading and/or misunderstanding what I was trying to figure out. I never said or suggested things you seem to be attributing to me. Not sure of your motivation. Anyway, I'm good now. I just didn't know how it worked being so new to the sport, probably should have kept it to myself.

I'll agree with others who have advised you avoid random dubs. A lot of ladies I know have been encouraged to play draw dubs only to have their random partner throw a tantrum and leave. I doubt a 600- minus rated player would have a good experience. Just stick with casual play and maybe some singles minis if you want to try and get carded with some better players and try to pick up some skills from watching them play. Tournaments are too expensive.

I'll agree with others who have advised you avoid random dubs. A lot of ladies I know have been encouraged to play draw dubs only to have their random partner throw a tantrum and leave. I doubt a 600- minus rated player would have a good experience. Just stick with casual play and maybe some singles minis if you want to try and get carded with some better players and try to pick up some skills from watching them play. Tournaments are too expensive.

can we just perm-ban tantrum throwers?:|

A lot of ladies I know have been encouraged to play draw dubs only to have their random partner throw a tantrum and leave.

What region do you play in? This is the second time this week I have read from you about deplorable behavior during competition, I would like to avoid your neck of the woods at all costs.

For what it's worth I have never seen anything remotely close to this type of behavior.

I mean it happens...but the people who throw tantrums are probably people who are going to throw tantrums if you're a legitimate rec-level player too because they think they deserve a top-level partner at all times.

I wouldn't let the potential for finding out someone is an ******* deter you from trying something you want to try.

Heck I could show up at some random dubs and someone is going to be mad they got me as a partner because I'm new and don't regularly play that course...even if I'm better than they are. And honestly, if I show up and I'm worse than someone else...I still feel those pains of guilt that my partner is carrying me...even if I'm throwing 400 ft drives and they're throwing 450.

One of my favorite things to do is jump in a random dubs when I am traveling. They see that I am playing with three discs and I can see the look in their eyes. All of a sudden we are using my shots with my three discs and they are pumped.

Those are most likely the meathead misogynists who think you're "pretty good for a girl."

They don't represent the game, or the golfers, that I know. :shrug:

Those are most likely the meathead misogynists who think you're "pretty good for a girl."

They don't represent the game, or the golfers, that I know. :shrug:

I don't mean to seem like I've only had bad experiences from guys' behavior. There's a reason I haven't played a tournament in 7 years, and if I ever play another one it will be a men's division.

I don't mean to seem like I've only had bad experiences from guys' behavior. There's a reason I haven't played a tournament in 7 years, and if I ever play another one it will be a men's division.

Ouch. Painful to hear it. I'm sorry you've had ANY experiences like that. Please forgive my erroneous assumptions. (Doesn't change my opinion on OP's possible enjoyment of a club dubs thing, but your point is very well taken by this correspondent.)

My one piece of advice for inexperienced players at random doubles is never apologize to your partner for being bad at disc golf.

I agree. I'm one of those players who aren't very good. I frequently played in a Sunday random doubles league and the differences between partners was interesting.

I got matched with a player who moved up to the pro divisions and he told me "don't make excuses for bad shots....or for being bad at disc golf. Your partner knows it, just do the best you can and work with the partner." He also suggested that if I don't know my partner, to let them know up front that I'm still working on my game so the partner is aware of my skill (or lack of it) and can plan for it. Most of my partners would have me throw first, then if I had a decent lie, they could go for it. A few would tell me where/how they wanted me to throw...usually after they saw me play a couple of holes.

Then there were the matches with "so-so" players. They would get irritated/pissed if I didn't throw well. I had one person (not much better than me) say "Oh well, this round is for fun, I'm not going to have a chance." (He tried cheating on the score for a couple of holes and got really pissed when I corrected him - and yes, it was definitely cheating....when we talked through the shots he got pissed).

So, I won't apologize....I will let my partner know at the start how good I am so they can adjust for it if needed....but then I figure they already know how I play so I'm not going to apologize for anything.

You are totally misreading and/or misunderstanding what I was trying to figure out. I never said or suggested things you seem to be attributing to me. Not sure of your motivation. Anyway, I'm good now. I just didn't know how it worked being so new to the sport, probably should have kept it to myself.
Don't stop asking questions. As you can see throughout here - you got plenty of authentically helpful answers.

You asked a fine question, and I think a number of the answers hit on the problem: the sport has outgrown its current rating splits, but at the same time the fields are full so it might be an uphill battle to get tournament directors to really split their fields into more divisions. So the motivation hasn't really emerged to add another division to accommodate a growing field of players who may be sub "Novice" but want to jump right into tournaments.

At one point, just over ten years ago I think, there were only 3 Amateur rating based divisions, with Recreational being the lowest at below 875. And tournament fields weren't filling like they do today. So there was more political will to see a field set aside that maxed out at 850, to draw in players that were less skilled with the chance to get a win playing amongst people of similar skill level.

Right now, as far as I can tell as an outsider, there's not enough will just yet to redefine the ratings as Chuck (CK) proposed way back in the conversation. I anticipate that'll happen soon, though and I assume its a discussion people at the PDGA have had (if only as a what-if/maybe scenario). I can definitely see people running events that only offer divisions to the lower half of amateur divisions and filling them up with a division capped around the 750-800 range.

You will run into some folks that are way too serious given their own skill level.

Ultimately I'm out to have fun and get a little exercise. Of course when I play better I have more fun, but disc golf is humbling. The very best players sometimes hit first available.

We mortals just happen to be better at it than they are.

what if you don't have a rating?

You can use this (https://www.pdga.com/divisions) to see what division you most likely should be playing in. Scroll down to Amateur Divisions (if you plan on playing as an AM) or Professional Divisions.

Not only do they show ratings requirements for each division, they also give 'throwing requirements' for each....for example

Recreational - available to amateur players of all ages with player ratings < 900. For players who have played 1-2 years and are gaining consistency and experience. Throw 200-300 feet, make 4-6/10 putts from 20 feet, learning different shots.

Latest posts