• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why do companies even make drivers?

Detheos

So being new of course I am looking at as much information I can. The constant thing I keep seeing is people saying "Don't throw anything but putters and mids. Unless you can throw 400+ dont even think about drivers." If this is true why does anyone ever need a driver? Why do companies keep coming out with faster ones? And then why does everyone's ITB's have drivers? If the average dg hole is under 400 feet shouldn't all we really need is putters and mids? But you all still throw faster stuff. It all seems very hypocritical to me.

...well...

First off, I believe you are incorrect. Nobody around here advocates hitting 400+ before using drivers. That makes no sense. Most people advocate hitting at least 350 with something like a teebird before going to something high speed like 9-13, yeah, and that's because you won't see much gain distance wise by discing up. You'll just get more unpredictable results.

Bottom line is it's about fun. You want to have fun, throw whatever you want. :) t

Throwing putters and mids isn't very fun but they are more inherently accurate and precise due to their narrow rim width, though stability is a huge factor as well. An errant throw with a nuke could go anywhere. Consistent throws with a nuke will almost certainly end up farther apart from each other than consistent throws with a wizard unless you are a top pro.

Also consider niche discs like drivers for rollers. Easier profile to get over on to the ground. Or easy to throw discs like blizzard, starlight, air, etc. Why not use them?

And why have drivers if the average hole is 400' or under? Because I don't throw rocs 400'. That's a rarity, a true big gun. However, there are a LOT of people out there that can hit 400' with a teebird and above, myself included. The majority cannot, but that doesn't mean it's uncommon or rare. But I'm not going to tell you not to have fun. Use what works. If you want to get better and work on technique, then think about discing down for a while. It isn't the discs you throw that make you better, it's understanding how to throw them and how they work. I feel drivers are a big part of that learning process, but you don't need a katana. At your distance, less stability will net you more d than just a wider rim. And that's pretty universal to a point. It's why people who can't throw as far like pro katanas in the first place. So try a pro leopard or a dx teebird or even a vision or sidewinder. You'll be surprised. Most people don't realize how far they can throw things is due to stability because they shrug off the lower speed base plastic as not as good, opting for high speed instead. Suddenly pro becomes appealing.

Nobody is trying to hold you back or hold you down or saying "you must be this tall to ride".

I think you are over generalizing. Go out, have fun and throw whatever the hell you want. :). We carry drivers because we want to. You can too.

Last edited:
As a general rule, if you can throw a faster disc farther with *acceptable* accuracy then bag it. Also as a general rule, always use the disc that gets you in the best position for your next throw. If you observe these two rules and make your putts within the circle, then you've got game. ;)

You learn better form from playing with putters. It's an advice for beginners.

400 is silly though.

...well...

First off, I believe you are incorrect. Nobody around here advocates hitting 400+ before using drivers. That makes no sense. Most people advocate hitting at least 350 with something like a teebird before going to something high speed like 9-13, yeah, and that's because you won't see much gain distance wise by discing up. You'll just get more unpredictable results.

Bottom line is it's about fun. You want to have fun, throw whatever you want. :) t

Throwing putters and mids isn't very fun but they are more inherently accurate and precise due to their narrow rim width, though stability is a huge factor as well. An errant throw with a nuke could go anywhere. Consistent throws with a nuke will almost certainly end up farther apart from each other than consistent throws with a wizard unless you are a top pro.

Also consider niche discs like drivers for rollers. Easier profile to get over on to the ground. Or easy to throw discs like blizzard, starlight, air, etc. Why not use them?

And why have drivers if the average hole is 400' or under? Because I don't throw rocs 400'. That's a rarity, a true big gun. However, there are a LOT of people out there that can hit 400' with a teebird and above, myself included. The majority cannot, but that doesn't mean it's uncommon or rare. But I'm not going to tell you not to have fun. Use what works. If you want to get better and work on technique, then think about discing down for a while. It isn't the discs you throw that make you better, it's understanding how to throw them and how they work. I feel drivers are a big part of that learning process, but you don't need a katana. At your distance, less stability will net you more d than just a wider rim. And that's pretty universal to a point. It's why people who can't throw as far like pro katanas in the first place. So try a pro leopard or a dx teebird or even a vision or sidewinder. You'll be surprised. Most people don't realize how far they can throw things is due to stability because they shrug off the lower speed base plastic as not as good, opting for high speed instead. Suddenly pro becomes appealing.

Nobody is trying to hold you back or hold you down or saying "you must be this tall to ride".

I think you are over generalizing. Go out, have fun and throw whatever the hell you want. :). We carry drivers because we want to. You can too.

Couldn't have said it better myself :)

...The constant thing I keep seeing is people saying "Don't throw anything but putters and mids. Unless you can throw 400+ dont even think about drivers." If this is true why does anyone ever need a driver?

Perhaps it's not true.

Perhaps the credentials of the experts offering this advice are unverified.

There's merit in starting with slower discs, developing and refining your form with them.

But not everyone's destined to drive 500'. Wherever you plateau, you're likely to find that drivers go further than midranges or putters, offer flight paths that slower discs don't, and are useful to you.

I think it also comes down to people who have experience are trying to stop new people from going out and spending $100 on drivers that they won't even get any use out of it.

You go out and you throw your discs and you end up throwing mids and putters the same distance as your drivers. Then you come back on here and ask "why is this happening?". Then everyone says only throw mids and putters until you can throw 300+. Then you head to Play It Again sports and trade all your new discs for Dx plastic slower discs and you now lost about $50.

It is great advice. I tried to throw a speed 12 to start that someone gave me and I couldn't figure out why I was inconsistent and terrible. I now use a Star teebird and a DX valkyrie. I am just starting to consistently crack 300-350 per drive. Close to 300' with a buzzz. Probably won't go spend the money on any 10 or 11 speeds till next summer.

Kodachrome covered it quite well, but I'll provide my take on it:
Q: why do companies even make drivers?
A: because they $ell

I'm not implying disc manufacturers are evil or anything... just that they are for profit companies that respond to the marketplace. They do their best to guage the market and provide offerings they think will sell. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

As a general rule, if you can throw a faster disc farther with *acceptable* accuracy then bag it. Also as a general rule, always use the disc that gets you in the best position for your next throw. If you observe these two rules and make your putts within the circle, then you've got game. ;)

This, is very well said. :clap:

I like the way this is worded better because, telling new people if you can't throw past a certain number you have to stick with x and y discs. I understand the logic, but what teemkey said makes perfect sense and doesn't give people all the limitations and roadblocks.

People will always look for and edge or a boost in "perceived" confidence we whether they're capable or not. Why do ball golf companies make drivers? Most people can't hit a driver consistently or further than a 3 wood. They make them because people will buy them, yet most people will never be able to utilize them.

There is no shortage of people on any given course who carrying 8+ drivers that can't throw them 300ft. Doesn't mean they don't have fun. If they like buying/trying discs, more power to them. Some will eventually disc down, some won't.

Doesn't matter what game is played, people always want the best, even if it isn't the best for them.

You know that you will eventually be ready for a faster disc when you get longer distances on rare occasions.

You know that you are near ready for it when you get longer distances here and there.

You know that you are ready to bag it when you get consistently longer distances.

Finally, you have mastered that speed when you get that same predictable distance with accuracy.

Kodachrome covered it quite well, but I'll provide my take on it:
Q: why do companies even make drivers?
A: because they $ell

I'm not implying disc manufacturers are evil or anything... just that they are for profit companies that respond to the marketplace. They do their best to guage the market and provide offerings they think will sell. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Yep. It's the same thing in ball golf. Most golfers would improve the most with a well-fit putter and wedges, and a couple lessons. But companies like Taylormade are constantly selling Bigger! Longer! Faster! drivers. Driving distance sells in both sports.

Expecting companies to stop doing what's profitable is like expecting a hungry dog not to eat the burger you just d̶r̶o̶p̶p̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶l̶o̶o̶r̶... oh... it never actually made it to the floor. :\

The time that burger spent falling?
That's about how long it'll be before someone releases the next driver.

Last edited:
Most people advocate hitting at least 350 with something like a teebird before going to something high speed like 9-13, yeah, and that's because you won't see much gain distance wise by discing up. You'll just get more unpredictable results.

I think this reasoning has become outdated. I would have agreed with you 5 years ago, but today a newbie can pick up an unLace or a Mamba and throw it a lot further than a Teebird or a Leopard.

In terms of working on form and improving, I agree that a neutral fairway is a better tool. But if a newbie wants to beat his newbie friend on a Saturday afternoon with money on the line, he could benefit by having a high speed understable disc in his bag to add a little distance to his drives.

I think this reasoning has become outdated. I would have agreed with you 5 years ago, but today a newbie can pick up an unLace or a Mamba and throw it a lot further than a Teebird or a Leopard.

In terms of working on form and improving, I agree that a neutral fairway is a better tool. But if a newbie wants to beat his newbie friend on a Saturday afternoon with money on the line, he could benefit by having a high speed understable disc in his bag to add a little distance to his drives.

:clap: I agree with all this. When I was just picking the game back up after 20 years off I threw all of my old discs of a couple of weeks then ordered a 139 starlite tern. When I threw it my jaw dropped - daaayyyummmm. That thing sailed. Sometimes you can buy distance. Now that I can throw with a little more zip it's too dang flippy but the point is that most anyone can throw faster discs further if you go light enough and understable enough. Once they start flipping add a touch of hyzer, once that starts flipping go up in weight or a more stable mold. Now as for Destroyers and Bosses - yeah - not gonna add any distance unless you have the arm (or form) for them.

Also faster disc even if you don't have the speed for them can be great into the wind. Generally we all carry a few headwind discs, for me I've got Bosses, Stiletto's and Firebirds. That last two will go left no matter the wind (that I've encountered) and my Bosses still give great distance into the wind, normally I like to throw Wraiths and Terns.