• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do people hate disc golf?

Menacewarf

Double Eagle Member
Last year I had the pleasure of helping design a tone course near where I grew up on a beautiful property owned by the state. My partner in the operation recently made the place nice, with numbered tones, tee boxes with yardage, and a DGCR page.

The land is beautiful for disc golf.

63e03e4d.jpg

5af8aa79.jpg

bb64c77d.jpg

02cdcb43.jpg

Today as we finished our round the local forest law enforcement officer pulled in and we thought, oh great, here comes the shakedown. Actually quite the opposite. He was very nice and understanding in explaining that he hates to have to tell us but there has been complaints called in and that the maintainer (?) was already going to come down and pull the tones out but that he, the law enforcement officer stopped the maintainer from ripping them out, so that he could come and talk with us if he saw us there. What a guy right?!

He essentially told us to hide the tones from view from the road. Reasonable but still disappointing because the layout was really dialed in. It was also a bonus that my girlfriend and 13 year old sister were with us, so we looked like a very innocuous family out enjoying public land on a sunny day. You could hear in the officer's voice he thought the people that called were morons.

All day I can't get it out of my head. Why would they call? Who cares? There are 5 tones visible from the road, spray painted green for less visual impact, and looking considerably better than the garbage strewned around the property. I can't believe it was the tones that got us called in.

My conclusion at this point is this. Packs of men, young men, out in the forest is unsightly to people's eyes. It disturbs them. It unsettles them. It unnerves them and makes them want to do something. To figure out what they are doing, find the illegalities in it, call it in, and feel accomplished in their own miserly spirit.

Luckily, for us, there are officials out there with a brain, who cannot see a family out for a walk in unused forest and tell them they must go home. Someone who will refuse to allow energy to be spent specifically to deny others of fun. Like I said; what a guy. I'm toasting him tonight.

But the question remains? Why do some people hate disc golf?

Sounds to me like you are just the victim of a perpetual complainer. Get some private property and do what you want. Ron Paul 2012!

First reply includes politics? :confused:

Thread off to a great start.

Anyway! I am devolving a private course but I try to promote and spread disc golf in as many ways as possible.

Some people just hate everything. Ef em and just keep doin' what you are doin',

A cop who isn't an A-hole? Somebody alert Tripp.

Seriously though, some people have nothing better to do than complain about that with which they're not familiar.

A cop who isn't an A-hole? Somebody alert Tripp.

I'm posting in the thread, which means they'll probably make a comment.

Sounds like the complainer just doesn't like people on that land. I bet if he saw people up there throwing lawn-darts or pickup games of football he'd complain too.

I honestly have no idea what a tone is.

A tone pole is usually a 5 ft. tall post with a five gallon bucket, metal milk can, large PVC pipe or metal pipe, etc., inverted and fastened to it. When the disc hits or even grazes the object on the post, it will ring, clang, thunk or otherwise make some noise, and that is credited as a basket.
The picture shown by vonDrehle is unusual in that most tone poles don't have chains.

It sounds like you went out and used state or city land to install a DGC. It probably wouldn't have been a problem had you gone and got the required permit to install your tones.

I imagine an old lady who is a shut in. Sitting at her front window staring out of it all day long waiting for something to complain about. The noise probably disturbs her while she is watching the price is right.