• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why do pros choose hyzers on open holes?

Burrito

Birdie Member
I just watched a skins video of Climo, Jenkins, Feldberg and noticed that more often than not - even on straight holes - they choose to throw hyzers.

Is this more accurate than a straight shot?

Throwing hyzer usually provides a larger margin of error. If you throw straight at the hole, your release speed and angle have to be dead on -- a little high or fast and you could be well past, a little low or slow and you could be well short. This is especially true with faster discs. The same type of mistake on a hyzer throw will generally penalize you less.

which is just more proof that being good is about minimizing error......so the pros will TYPICALLY throw the hyzer, throw forgiving plastic (tee-birds, Rocs etc) and play the safer lines even if they seem to most of us to be insane. (huge hyzer over trees, longer but wider open lane to basket etc)

also, a hyzer ensures the shot is finishing its flight at a certain point. on the short shot on the skins video, it would be really easy to blow past on a direct line. hyzer drops the discs in the circle

A hyzer line is not likely to turnover because of the release angle and the selection of a stable disc

Distance can be controlled by the amount of height and hyzer

If you release a bit late (like I can do) it will go higher, more right, and fade back bigger - right near the spot you were aimming for

If you release a bit early (like I do) it will not go as high, not fade as big - right near the spot you were aimming for

its a higher percentage shot. let the plastic do some of the work. also as mentioned, distance control.

this caught my attention bc i just got back from the worlds. On the last day i watched, nikko, doss, rico, throw big hyzers on hole 1. Nikko's literally was OB until the last 10' of flight. I was trying to figure out why they didn't just straight shoot it. it was only like 270ish. pretty straight shot. But all of them threw over the road and placed it within 15' of the basket. (btw...if nikko sinks this 15' putt he goes into a playoff for the 4th spot in the final with josh anthon and nate doss, but he shanks it and hits the basket.:wall:)

this caught my attention bc i just got back from the worlds. On the last day i watched, nikko, doss, rico, throw big hyzers on hole 1. Nikko's literally was OB until the last 10' of flight. I was trying to figure out why they didn't just straight shoot it. it was only like 270ish. pretty straight shot. But all of them threw over the road and placed it within 15' of the basket. (btw...if nikko sinks this 15' putt he goes into a playoff for the 4th spot in the final with josh anthon and nate doss, but he shanks it and hits the basket.:wall:)

If you are talking about the blues it is only 270 but plays alot longer with the uphill.

The hyzer is just way more predictable. and the wind was assisting the hyzer shot on that hole all week.
The turn over is just really easy to burn with the uphill shot.

I was noticing the same thing there. Makes sense.

Also realize that when you have a bigger arm like those guys, there are lines that not many people would even think of that are virtually wide open to them. A 270' hyzer is nothing to guys like that. They still can throw that with a mid or putter although they probably threw a TB to ensure it held the hyzer.

Latest posts