• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why does a flat top equal more stable?

I have always wondered if the dome vs flat debate was more of a generallity, proven physics, or mythical nonsense.

I haven't had too much expereince with this until I started throwing Avengers.

I had always heard that Dome = More stable characteristics, while flat would allow a disc to behave more on the understable side.

This theory/statement didnt hold wather with my Avengers. I had 3 Z's of diffrent weights, an ESP, and an X all with dome that threw more on a stable/undrestable path.

I then aquired a 150 class ESP and a 172 FLX, both of which were board flat. They both threw like Predators. They were super overstable meat hooks that I would throw my arm out on BH Anhyzer flex shots just to flit with 300'. While I could reach with 400' with a flat to mild anhizer with their domey counterparts.

Then it dawned on me, "Maybe flat understable disc will be more flippy!"
Wrong again. I got a Super flat FLX Nuke SS (unintentionally) that is as OS as a Nuke OS. It did get a touch straigher this summer, but its still major beef and more stable than My FLX Nuke.

So to sum it all up. I assume there could be one firm expectation, but the only ture way to know how a disc will behave is to just throw it. It would be nice if every shop had driving ranges like DN to allow customers to test before they purchase.

Too bad I have to order all my discs online :/

Latest posts