• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Gateway] Why does majority Dg-er's dislike gateway discs?

I had a Gateway Illusion once, worst disc I ever bought! Couldn't throw at all, just "meathooked" on me no matter how I tried to throw it. But I do have a Quest Scream I use as my Fairway Driver, and a Classic Inferno I use as my forehand disc.

I see some of the same themes here as in the prodigy sales thread: stamps and naming do seem to matter to some folks.

I actually think their branding is pretty good. The names of their discs and stamps are pretty cool for the most part. I think the real problem is that Gateway is not really innovative. They seem to respond more than innovate. His last innovation was the Ozark backpack, but since then a handful of companies have taken that design and evolved, so instead of being at the head of the pack, they another one of the herd.

In the beginning, I think there was more of a problem with inconsistency due to running smaller batches of discs. But anymore, I don't think that problem is quite as glaring as it was in the past. That said, I have like 10 Wizards that all feel vastly different.

It would help Gateway to have a big name on tour, but it seems that by the time most players get good enough to be recognizable Innova or Discraft has made them a perceivably "better" offer.

I see some of the same themes here as in the prodigy sales thread: stamps and naming do seem to matter to some folks.

Tangent,

It kills me that people say they dont know what a prodigy disc is supposed to fly like because of the naming system, but naming something after an animal or a random verb will tell them everything they need to know

Carry on

I actually think their branding is pretty good. The names of their discs and stamps are pretty cool for the most part. I think the real problem is that Gateway is not really innovative. They seem to respond more than innovate. His last innovation was the Ozark backpack, but since then a handful of companies have taken that design and evolved, so instead of being at the head of the pack, they another one of the herd.

In the beginning, I think there was more of a problem with inconsistency due to running smaller batches of discs. But anymore, I don't think that problem is quite as glaring as it was in the past. That said, I have like 10 Wizards that all feel vastly different.

It would help Gateway to have a big name on tour, but it seems that by the time most players get good enough to be recognizable Innova or Discraft has made them a perceivably "better" offer.

They had Nikko, it barely helped. Dave just needs to step his game up and stop being such a weirdo

They are a great company...I've found success with the Blaze from the fairway as well as the Karma and Scout for midrange duties. As for the Wizards and Magics? Lights out putting right there!

I don't feel as though Gateway is disliked, but rather it's a smaller corperation when compared to the giants of the disc golf industry. Around here, it's just more difficult to find their products. Shops only sell Discraft and Innova so we are left to order Gateway's plastic online rather than checking it out in person...

I had a Gateway Illusion once, worst disc I ever bought! Couldn't throw at all, just "meathooked" on me no matter how I tried to throw it. But I do have a Quest Scream I use as my Fairway Driver, and a Classic Inferno I use as my forehand disc.

Illusions are $$$$$ overhand discs. I have one for just this. Thumpers and Tommy's that's flip over quick and get down. Such an accurate weapon.

They had Nikko, it barely helped. Dave just needs to step his game up and stop being such a weirdo

Of course, there is always Nikko, but that was when Nikko was on the verge of being huge and before Gateway offered a full line of discs. That meant that Nikko was allowed to throw a "mixed bag". The good thing is that it helped him win a lot of tournaments, but didn't do a whole lot for the Gateway image. Now that Gateway has a more standard lineup of molds, Nikko has moved on.

Where to start ... ? Inconsistent, sub-par plastics, really sloppy molding and flashing removal (off-centered molds are common), and generally pretty junky older type molds. I can't even give credit to their putters anymore - you can never buy the same putter plastic twice ... absolutely no attention to detail.

I just want feedbacks. I've never thrown any gateway beside wizards. So I've been noticing that majority disc golfers doesn't like gateway discs (beside the putters!!) I've noticed gateway discs are getting bad raps when they're the player packs at local tournament, People would whine that they got it. Is it the flight or material. Evolution material isn't that shabby, I already have my set of discs and not in market for experimenting new disc so just curious who already tossed these discs and why is it gettin bad raps.
Thanks

I used to hate on Gateway for their admitted inconsistency, and refusal to work to eliminate it. (I had only thrown Wizards and Voodoos at this point)

Now I just dislike their molds and plastics, while I do admit that i'm in the minority in that I liked their native American names and stamps.