• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

I don't recall this being "Dave's Hook-Up" thread, but maybe I'm mistaken???? ;) :cool:

Hahahaha good move though. Make my crappy joke look bad whilst making yourself look good.

Too bad these disc golfing women are too smart for that!

(see the turn around there?)

Foiled yet again, damn you billnchristy and volkgirl!

The wife picked up a 125 gram Roc the last week and when I said I was going to spend a little time with practice throws in the field before work yesterday she said "oh I can come and throw too!"
a very happy moment for me. :D

I was going to pick something closer to 150 but she picked it up in the store herself and chose it, so I wasn't going to step in and suggest otherwise.

I'm a woman, I play disc golf and I love it! I have to admit that I got into the game because my boyfriend invited me to play with him. That wasn't the first time I had heard of the game though, only the first time I had played. I found it frustrating and almost gave it up for two reasons.

1. I couldn't throw far or well at all. I was throwing short and unpredictably all over the course. It was embarrassing because everyone we were with was able to play much better and I felt like I was holding up the game.

2. Since I was new and didn't know quite how to play, EVERYONE was trying to give me pointers or coach me. This was frustrating to me (don't know about every other girl) because I wanted to try and figure it out for myself because that is how I like to do things. I'm pretty good at observing how people play and trying it out myself. There were, of course, certain things that I needed help with, and would therefore ask for help. It was fine if someone asked me first "Want a tip?" giving me a chance to say yes or no. But it was frustrating to me when people would just give me advice when I didn't want it.

However, despite these frustrations, I kept up with the game and I'm so glad I did! I love going out with my boyfriend and his friends and trying to beat them on the course. And while I am usually out there with other guys, I have taken out one of my girlfriends before (just the two of us) to teach her the game. She also loved it, and it was okay that she wasn't as good as most of the players on the course because at that point, I wasn't either. We just had a good time, tried out a new course, and laughed at how bad we were playing. That same friend I taught to play went out and bought some of her own discs and brought some of her friends into the game.

So, if you have a female friend you want to get into the game, it might help to get another female friend to take her out first.

Considering its a relatively non-intensive sport, its really been a question perplexing me since I started playing six years ago. Most of the females I do see out there are playing because their male relatives, or significant other got them involved. Sure would be nice to get the gender imbalance on the courses a little more equalized.

Any theories? :confused:

That question/issue was also raised in the recent PDGA eNewsletter:

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif]One area that is definitely under-represented is on the women's side, as the PDGA currently has less than 1000 women on its active rolls which now total more than 11,000."

There's a sub-forum for women's DG topics on the PDGA forum:
http://www.pdga.com/discussion/forumdisplay.php?f=226

[/FONT]

One thing I've noticed with other recreational women players is that no one seems to be helping them in their disc selection (at least here). They're playing with their SO's 170-something overstable discs and wondering why they can't throw more than 50'. We ran into 2 women the other day and both were throwing heavy discs. We let them throw some of my 150s for a while and gave them a pointer on using a power grip instead of a fan grip, and they were amazed and thrilled with the difference.

Even more frustrating is that our local shop asked for our input before ordering this year, and while they did get a few 150 class discs, they had almost nothing in the 160 class, and they're not steering women toward the 150s they DO have. Arrrrg!!

I think that's a general issue with a lot of places that sell plastic. Just about everywhere I've found discs there are a ton of 170+ discs, and almost nothing lighter than that. My gf has found that very frustrating, she likes to hold and see discs before she buys, but can't find discs in the 155-160 range she likes best without buying online.

We have seen quite a few women disc golfing in the Atlanta area, but yeah, not to the extent you see guys and they are always with a group of guys too...never seen an all girl squad hitting the course.]

There is a trio that I have seen at Newport News playing together on several occasion and we have some regulars. But the normal ratio must be 200 to 1.

Most of the gals I talk to do not feel comfortable with so many guys around they do not know. Especially when you have areas that cannot be seen. You get a few in the woods and I suppose the average gal could get spooked.

I think it is the average guy in dg that keeps women from participating more but few will be honest enough to admit that.

Fat beer drinking pot heads are not chick magnets. Or at least not in this lifetime.

Many guys in dg are really not all that athletic. I would venture a guess that some have never excelled at other sports all that much. I've witnessed some that get a big head because they FINALLY have something in their life they are half decent at... and they become somewhat...
not too much fun to play a round with.

Perhaps that has a bit to do with it?

Weekend warrior legend in their own mind beer drinking middle aged fat guys ith a spliff hanging out of their mouth are the dg male demographic. Yea... chick magnets!! I am suprised there are not women hanging all over them. lol.

:^p

Last edited:
With any luck I started a young female disc golf career recently. I have a neighbor with two daughters (8 and 10) and the other day I brought out my mini basket and collection of minis to the backyard area we share and asked if they wanted to play. The one who is a more competitive and likes to play sports type really had a lot of fun. She even asked her mom for one for her birthday so I'm helping her with that. I also offered to take her mom and her to the local short course if she ever wanted.

My wife played her first 9 with me a couple of days ago as well. We didn't keep score so that she'd feel as little as pressure as possible to perform well. She did very good for someone who once said there is no way they'd ever be able to play, and at times had better placed throws than me. I left it up to her to ask questions if she wanted to know how to do something better and so far it has worked wonderfully.

I think it is the average guy in dg that keeps women from participating more but few will be honest enough to admit that.

Fat beer drinking pot heads are not chick magnets. Or at least not in this lifetime.

I'm actually sexy as hell. Especially in my cutoff camoflage shorts. Just ask DG_lady.

Well we have 2 women in our group now...my wife and my friend's girlfriend. She is still developing her game but she found an unmarked Polaris LS the other day and it has really helped her throw.

My wife is hitting 200' or more consistently now which is nice.

My little girl threw the comet 60' tonight...sweet.

About the light discs, my wife insists on 170g discs...not sure why but they seem to do well for her so I am not going to push it.

I try my damnedest not to give advice though I did catch the other girl trying to throw a mid at about 40' tonight...I said hey, thats a putt...she pulled out one of our wizards and sunk it!

Latest posts