• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

I thought of this thread today. While waiting at a tee the two high school dudes in front of me were commenting that someone in the group on the hole 'throws like a girl, but carries a bag hahaha'
Then I watched them both very gingerly chuck their discs straight into trees about 20 feet in to the right. I wanted to ask them how they would describe how they throw and if they've ever seen a female player besides their one buddy's girlfriend that tagged along and threw a couple in between texting. I didn't say anything, just chuckled, as I didn't want to start anything I didn't feel like finishing. But anyways, I was mostly dumbfounded that kids are still growing up with this perception. I learned very early on that girls who didn't play sports well, did so because they just didn't care not because they were incapable. But some of my friends still had that misogynistic belief. I would have thought that with new generations the mindset would be shifting.

On a sort of unrelated note, I have never understood people that were upset by a joke, especially if they had nothing to do with the punchline. Like if two white guys told a racist joke and another white guy got offended. I was listening to the radio one night and the male DJ was going on some rant about he got offended by a sexist joke (a boy asks his dad why wedding dresses are white, the dad replies, "Son, because all kitchen appliances are white.") How could any non-female be truly offended by that? I thought the joke was kinda funny, hence I remembered it, and I'm the farthest thing from sexist. Hell, I even go out of my way to hold doors open for women and I've been told off for it a couple of times by feminists. I guess the point of this ramble is if we all had thicker skin we'd be better off for it. I hope I didn't open Pandora's box with this one.

Some people have a real hard time separating jokes from beliefs. I've worked in a comedy club for many years and you'd be amazed at the amount of patrons that come with no sense of humor. Had one white lady tell my white co-worker that he should be ashamed for laughing at a joke that really put black women in a light of empowerment. Not only did she not actually listen to the joke but felt the need to police others sense of humor. This kind of thing really bugs me. We all need to laugh about the things that are awful in this world, like racism, sexism, violence, etc. Nobody said we have to believe in what we think is funny.

Some Americans are thin skinned and politically correct and would not know humor if it slapped them on the (_!_).

But more on the topic at hand. I'm not sure why you don't see more women playing DG. My wife loves it. Maybe it's the outdoor thing. I think it's just sports in general are not considered "feminine". I think that's crap, but I have a teenage cousin who would not be caught dead in the dirty nasty outdoors. DiscChick has some good points about over-coaching. I think the biggest point is don't be a douche-bag. But what's the deal with punching in the neck. Whatever happened to the good ole punch in the face?
I'm a smart-ass by nature and it's all in a fun-loving Peter Griffin kinda way. If I truly offend anybody then I sincerely apologize.

AK

punch in the neck because I'm short and probably couldn't reach his face.:rolleyes:

On a sort of unrelated note, I have never understood people that were upset by a joke, especially if they had nothing to do with the punchline.
I have never understood why people insist on being racist/sexist/homophobic jerks and then think they can make it all OK by saying, "can't you take a joke?"

If a joke really is offensive, but only to people who are not present, that doesn't make it any less offensive, and I've no qualms about calling people out for it. Not to be overly dramatic, but the relevant quote here is, "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

Well I'm new to this forum, and a woman who plays DG, so I figured my first post could be here.
I am strictly a recreational player at this point, but I love it and play 3 or 4 times a week.

I have to admit my boyfriend introduced me to it (for shame!). I had heard of it but never knew much about it until we started dating. But, I quickly became addicted and I play on my own as well as with him. I also play a few other sports and I am not interested in malls whatsoever ;p

I was hoping the "punch in the neck" quote would come up again. I laughed out loud when I read that the first time. Just a picture in my mind....a punch in the neck.

I have never understood why people insist on being racist/sexist/homophobic jerks and then think they can make it all OK by saying, "can't you take a joke?"

If a joke really is offensive, but only to people who are not present, that doesn't make it any less offensive, and I've no qualms about calling people out for it. Not to be overly dramatic, but the relevant quote here is, "Evil flourishes when good men do nothing."

In my opinion its not a clear cut issue. At least 3 days a week for the last 3 years I've heard stand-up comics touch on all topics. Many of the things said in a different context would be derogatory yet in the context of this is meant to make you laugh about it, it comes across as such. It is a fine line to walk though. And I've many times turned to a co-worker and said "that wasn't funny at all, that was just racist(etc)" And it comes from all sides. Every person of every background makes fun of every other background. What really bugs me a lot is when people act like only straight, white, men make jokes or say something offensive about another group.

And the road to Hell is paved with good intentions. You can find an old adage for just about anything.

I have to admit my boyfriend introduced me to it (for shame!). I had heard of it but never knew much about it until we started dating. But, I quickly became addicted and I play on my own as well as with him. I also play a few other sports and I am not interested in malls whatsoever ;p

Welcome to the crack called DGCR by the way;)

I'm new to the sport, been playing about 6 months or so. I admit that I never gave thought to playing until I started dating someone who plays. But now I regret not learning to play when I first heard that the sport existed.

I love seeing the improvement in my game and look forward to the day when the guys I play with will stop making fun of their friends when I out drive them.

That will never happen...guys will always make fun of the guys who are outdriven...you will just be considered one of the guys...and might already be.

Welcome!

Pilates is step # 4 in divorce rehab for women. Step #7 in divorce rehab for men. When it all clicks....and you give it 6 months to a year...everyone goes back to step #1.

I owe my girl Jessie for my new found fanaticism. She had to practically beg to get me out for my first round.

Now she rolls her eyes when she sees me on this site.

Haven't played a round without her yet though. Its great to have this thing we can both share.

Latest posts